Front Yard makeover
Stacy
Any ideas to freshen our front yard?
Thanks
Dar Eckert
Your house is lovely as it is. Your main problem is the landscaping and lack of an inviting sidewalk to the front door. The hedges along the left are just to overwhelming and rather boring. To start I would trim them lower and remove them from in front of your door. I would definately consult a landscaper about the area in front of your porch. The plants are mostly all the same height and texture. The tree and round bush are nice but everything else should probably go. Widen your walkway and continue it to the street. Replant your garden with plants of varying heights, textures and colors even if its different shades of green.
June 14, 2012 at 9:33am   
Stacy
Thank you. I agree that the shrubs to the left are overwhelming - I've been trying to convince my husband that they need to go. I love the idea of widening the sidewalk - a thought that never occured to me. Our street doesn't have sidewalks.... you would still bring the sidewalk from the house to the street? I will definately work on getting those shrubs and monkey grass out!! You don't think that the tree blocks the house too much?
June 14, 2012 at 9:47am   
Dar Eckert
Yes, do bring the sidewalk to the street but also you will still need to have a sidewalk or patio the driveway. The tree does somewhat block the porch area but the trunk area is open. Its expensive to replace a large tree like that so I would go slowly by taking out the grass and cutting back the hedge then see what the area looks like.
June 14, 2012 at 10:01am   
melibd
The shrubs to the left is what is dating your house. Get rid of all those box shrubs. It will be a JOB pulling them up and that is why your husband doesn't want to fool with it. I see something airy, with curves, get rid of straight lines. Some garden centers will help with a plan if you purchase from them.

And yes to the sidewalk to the street!

Search Landscape on here, and collect pictures you love. This would give you sense of what feels good for you and help you when you go shopping for new plants.

Good Luck!
June 14, 2012 at 10:52am   
I love your tree--the open branch structure is beautiful. See if you can work with the rest of the landscaping (agree with everything said so far) and keep the tree in place. What zone are you in? Ideally I'd like to see a wider range of shrubs and perennials, with wider beds layered into your yard and more flowering plants, to give your yard more visual interest and texture. Right now it feels like a lot of plants in straight lines.
This is what I mean by layering your borders:
My Craftsman Home exterior
Projects
June 14, 2012 at 10:52am   
katherinebryant
I would add color through foliage as it last year round. You could cut the beds larger and start adding color such as Heucheras for red/purple I love plum pudding, add yellow plants and layer the colors in front of your existing plants in areas and then do more random planting in others to soften the look. There are great yellow grasses, Lonicera is yellow, spirea can be brightly colored - good luck!
July 6, 2012 at 7:21pm   
betsyweisberg

You have a beautiful home. It just needs to open up in the front to make it more inviting.
The landscape change will make a huge difference and depending on budget you could change the walk to go to the street, flowers on both sides- beautiful.
I would also suggest changing the front door to a bright pop color.
Have fun, it won't take much to get the look you want.
July 7, 2012 at 8:58am   
yvonnecmartin
When you plant your new front garden, make it wide enough. Six feet with a small path in the back for access would be ideal. That way you can have a variety of plants heights and types for all-season interest.
July 7, 2012 at 1:12pm   
pcmom1
Answering before I go back to read, so sorry about duplications!

1. Replace the large bunch grass near driveway with lower planting or a fountain.

2. Trim part of hedge that is blocking view of your front door.

3. On left side of house add tall white trellises between windows for climbing jasmine.

4. Like to get your front door to stand out more: wider trim, paint door white, add hanging fixture, plaque with your house numbers above door and a new large welcome mat!
July 7, 2012 at 3:28pm   
bjshep
I would definitely remove the shubbery - it's taking away from your front exterior. I would also remove the grass on both sides of the walkway and replace it with lighting or some color flowering. I think the landscaping needs color. There is a home on this site "windsor" that has some beautiful red flowering plants in the front.
July 7, 2012 at 4:16pm   
Front/Side Yard Makeover help?
Here are a couple pictures of the front of my house....
Front Yard Needs A Serious Makeover
Our front yard needs a major makeover and I really...
front yard makeover desparately needed
We've lived here 9 yrs and I'm finally ready to breathe...
Front Yard Makeover
Any ideas about how to improve the entrance, path or...
I need a front yard makeover!
Have the following plants and want to use in front...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Can't decide on bedroom paint....its making me crazzzzy!!!
I need help picking my bedroom paint! I currently have...
Powder room - what wall color looks good for this light fixture?
I am using this vanity with white subway tile wainscoting...
decorating a long wall
Unbroken wall from front door, through dining and living...
Window covering for new master bath window
I am puzzled by how to cover the window in our remodeled...