Old world gone stale... Want to update my Old World style Living Room
alettasdesign
I have had the Old World look for 10 years and would like to update. Still love the look, but it is time to paint and refresh. Keeping the furniture, leather never wears out :( but want to freshen up the paint and accessories. This room is open to the Foyer and Dining room/office and kitchen. Suggestions, accessories, paint colors please. The wall to the right in the office has been removed.
Shannon Ggem ASID
This is absolutely a job for paint! I think this room (linked) manages to be fresh and current with traditional leather furniture

Lightening up the drapes, using one large scale item behind the sofa rather than several items, swapping out the ceiling fan for a less traditional fixture are some steps to take that could change the feel of the room without much trouble. Perhaps beefing up the mantle? Paint the coffee table or get two soft square poofs in a print, Paint the piece that is currently black in a light color, swap out your lamps...

What kind of project do you want to do? Custom cabinetry, floor refinishing, all new furniture (other than leather set)? Or just a few little changes?
June 15, 2012 at 8:13am     
Jamieson
Great space, and beautiful furniture! Definitely just needs some tweaking to make your space more current. First suggestion is replace your area rug with something larger that will help ground your furniture setting, it should sneak under your furniture but still show off those gorgeous hardwood floors. I'm going to suggest doing something bold like a zebra print coffee/table ottoman, as seen in one of the attached pics. Rather than the art and two small shelves behind your sofa do a more modern grouping of old world inspired work with a touch of modern, meaning different frames different sizes...something along these lines Living Room Think you need a little sparkle and shine so I'd consider replacing table lamps with a modern classic like this Harriet Clear Glass Table Lamp Maybe replace the mirror over your fireplace with a more contemporary art piece such as this http://www.etsy.com/listing/83872436/horse-art-print-original-art-print-8x10?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=horse+art&ga I would go a different light/ceiling fan similar to this Romantic Breeze Ceiling Fan with Light For paint I'd go a nice off white, throughout your space. All these are merely suggestions, interested what other Houzzers might have to contribute! Have fun, and good luck!
Vintage Modern Living
Home Farm 1
June 15, 2012 at 8:20am     
michigammemom
Here's a lovely inspiration room to jump start your Old World update. A larger and lighter area rug will give your space an instant lift as well as a more delicate coffee table, some lamps with sparkle, and some nature inspired and textural accessories.
June 15, 2012 at 8:37am     
livindoll
I agree the leather pieces are keepers and tied in with the floor are a great base of warmth. The walls might benefit from a warmer apricot beige and then everything else, area rug, pillows, big art work complement the space with a watered down aqua to a teal green.....also a little copper metal work.
September 1, 2012 at 10:07pm     
Vikrant Sharma Homez
A Paint job is what you need , since the Leather is real Dark , you can even go for a Decorators white or Taupe .
September 2, 2012 at 2:20am     
szkatulski
Reorient your furniture towards the fireplace as the focal point. That and the prior suggestions will change the whole space. Maybe also paint the fireplace wall a strong accent color so the fireplace looks more substantial :)
September 2, 2012 at 5:48am   
aliosh
I may be too late for a comment but here's my 2 cents and my decorating philosophy...... Mixing traditional items with modern is such a great way to decorate because modern cleans up the traditional and traditional softens the modern......With that said......

Invest in a much larger area rug that would reach to all the pieces of furniture. Pick something that has a modern contemporary look with whatever colors you like.

Replace all the traditional pillows with modern pillows that picks up the color(s) in the new rug. Get a nice throw and lay it stylishly over your leather ottoman. Keep your wall paint neutral and fresh and use color in your accents.

Replace or paint your side tables to make them look updated. Local glass companies can cut pieces of round mirror that you may be able to use as a table top on what you already have. I would opt to use two different style side tables.

The coffee table should be replaced with an all glass table or a glass top with metal frame. Large square at least 40" (or more) would look great, not take up a lot of visual space and would allow you to see the new rug from underneath. Make the style contemporary and modern but not traditional.

It looks like you group things well together and play with various heights when accessorizing. Mix your traditional accessories with some contemporary pieces. For example: traditional candlesticks with a smooth colored glass object or modern sculpture. Replace the fireplace mirror with a contemporary one (no wood tones) and your picture over the sofa with a modern piece of artwork. Find something that works with the rug and pillows. Overstock.com has nice artwork (and many other items you could use).

Make your ceiling fan light less traditional by either replacing it, removing the lighting from it (if possible) or if you need the light source,replace the globes with modern ones. I found that pendant light replacement glass globes fits vanity lights and ceiling fans. Lowes has some clean lined ones for about $10 a piece.

The chest behind the love seat looks a bit short. You may be able to use it against the wall as an end table (or somewhere else in the house?) Replace it with a modern sofa table that extends the whole length of the back behind the love seat. A really unique piece would be an eye catcher since it's the first thing that's seen.

Take your time and look for unique pieces that work together but have their own personality. It may be difficult at first but refrain from purchasing items that still look traditional. There is enough traditional pieces already in the room so anything new should be modern and contemporary.

Relax have fun shopping for pieces that are different than you're used to using. Don't over think the pieces. Just make sure the scale is right and the pieces work together well as a group.
September 2, 2012 at 9:06am     
alettasdesign
Wow thanks so much for the helpful comments. Some I already had in mind and others have given me food for thought. Would appreciate any others as well. I am planning a Kitchen remodel after the first of the year and will be painting the main living areas at that time. I am pouring over all magazines and the web, especially Houzz for ideas and inspiration. With the Kitchen remodel I am planning to open the wall across from my furniture grouping (you can barely see the wall in the 3rd picture which shows my current tall entertainment center). However that means I will have to move my TV over the fire place which I hate. Some of the items I am thinking of is a large painting by Olivia Maxweller. "Flowers and Pears" is the one I had in mind. I love all of her work! Also thinking of building window seats under the windows on each side of the fireplace, that will replace the storage lost if I get a new coffee table and hold TV components if I move the TV. I just painted my guest room Grey Cashmere by Benjamin Moore and I love it, may use something similar in the living areas. Also if I have to move the TV over the fire place :( I am thinking of reworking the fire place with stacked stone and a much larger mantel. Something that would hold a vase or candle stick. I make custom window treatments so the textile items will not be a problem for me. New window treatments, pillows and maybe recovering the arm chair by the fireplace in a more contemporary fabric. Again, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.
September 2, 2012 at 4:50pm   
Custom In-Home Decorating
If you are planning on staying in the old world style, I would go with a faux glaze paint (consult with paint expert at home center). I like more gold tones that would compliment the leather. I totally agree a larger rug is needed(in Sage greens, reds and Golds) and changing the fabric in the pillows, window treatments, and recovering a chair in a Tapestry. I would invest in a nice painting to go behind the sofa ( or a trapestry with iron rod) and while I love your coffee table, a glass with Iron base will show off the rug and keep the room more open. A nice pedestal with a vase or sculpture would also be appropriate. I really don't care for mixing styles too much. More impressive side tables along with a longer sofa table and accessories like large vases would complete the room. Good luck and post your after pictures.
September 2, 2012 at 7:13pm   
Want to update my 25 year old bathroom and laundry room.
Bathroom has 1 small sink base with peeling sink. Update...
want to update my 20 year old bathroom and laundry room
Bathroom is old and outdated. tub needs new grout and...
I want to transfor my old, dreary, living room...
We have lived with a small, monochromatic, bronze,...
I want to update my living room, family room and upstais bedroom
No details, just waiting to win this and hire a contractor......
bathroom flooring color
We have 2 bathrooms, one has floor of 6'x6' and the...
help choosing color of bedding for master bedroom
I am at a loss of what color of bedding to choose to...
help with basement shower
My shower is beside the toilet. It needs to stay in...
Different Light over tub?
Yay or nay? I would love to change out the lighting...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...