Accessible Apartment Addition to House

Plantcrone (Elle)June 16, 2012
I'm building with my daughters family-I've "donated" the acre of land in suburban Portland OR and am getting an accessible apartment addition to the house they are building. About 600-700 Sq Ft, it will be a one bedroom, bath living area and kitchen designed to Accessible space requirements. I'm in my late 60 with physical issues that will probably get worse as I age. The contractor has designed a basic space-I'm not in love with it. I wouldn't mind opening the bedroom/livingroom up into a 'single' apartment look if someone has ideas how to design it. I plan on having a level floor shower with no tub in the bathroom and need larger closets than the builder has planned for. I have already asked him to delete the 'bonus' room area. My computer is a laptop now but I plan on having a small space for a desk and files.

I have a queen sized bedroom set with double dresser, tall dresser and antique make up table that needs to go in the bedroom area. A country french design couch, antique secretary, antique bombay chest that I use for the television, antique beautiful rocker, wing chair I use for reading and antique carved round table plus a few new bookshelves in my current lving area-pared down from a 3000 sq ft house I think thats pretty good. I currently live in a 900 sq ft apartment and everything fits-tight but it fits. I'm staying with French Country and plan on decorating with cream and terra-cotta colors. There is a small reoccurring terra-cotta theme in the upholstered furniture. I also have an antique oak table 48"X48" that I hope to put in the dining area.

Also looking for ideas that will allow me storage space and want sliding doors to minimalize door swing. I am going to have a craft/sewing area in the basement of the main house, and will share a washer/dryer with the family. Most of the cooking will be done in the main house as I do the majority of it so my kitchen does not need to be large.

Thanks for ideas.
SRM Architecture and Interiors
If you're interested in speaking with a local Portland architecture and interior design team, please check out our profile & give our office a call!

Best,

Madeline
    Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:18AM
ct design studio
Just at a glance I'm seeing your bathroom is not large enough to accomodate a wheelchair if one is ever needed. If the entry from the bedroom to the covered porch is not a priority you could create a dressing area/closet between bath and bedroom and a larger shower. Also pocket doors would save wallspace and are easy to plan for. I would give more of the bedroom to the bath, open up the bonus room to the bedroom, which could give you your desk space. The bedroom/bonus space could share one large doorway to the living room, using white/antique barn doors on sliders for a pretty rustic french country look.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:40AM
Need help with new apartment furnishings - and how to bring in more light?
Hi! I have just bought a new one bed apartment which...
leeshamay
Bathroom, kitchen, front and yard need to be more handicap accessible
Husband has MS I need to do so many things in our house...
Margaret Hauser
Potential Accessible apartment plan
I have been looking at accessible plans all day and...
Plantcrone (Elle)
Need help with renovation/addition: distance from entry to kitchen...
My husband and I are adding a kitchen/dining area to...
jsbmob
Designing Garage Studio Apartment Layout
Hi everyone, looking for some help with a garage renovation! We...
nyira
Kitchen help
So, I've been in my house almost 7 years.. It's a new...
shepyyr
Sherwin-Williams Cashmere for kitchen or hallway?
We've used Sherwin-Williams Cashmere low lustre paint...
Scott Buchanan
Cooktop or Sink in Peninsula?
Am about to install new counters, so if I'm going to...
ljcass
stone fireplace near an existing brick fireplace?
We're adding a screen porch with a fireplace. The screen...
nyumbayangu9
Nursery paint color dilemma?! Need help!
We painted a stripe wall however we used different...
EleganceDecor2014