Accessible Apartment Addition to House
Plantcrone (Elle)
I'm building with my daughters family-I've "donated" the acre of land in suburban Portland OR and am getting an accessible apartment addition to the house they are building. About 600-700 Sq Ft, it will be a one bedroom, bath living area and kitchen designed to Accessible space requirements. I'm in my late 60 with physical issues that will probably get worse as I age. The contractor has designed a basic space-I'm not in love with it. I wouldn't mind opening the bedroom/livingroom up into a 'single' apartment look if someone has ideas how to design it. I plan on having a level floor shower with no tub in the bathroom and need larger closets than the builder has planned for. I have already asked him to delete the 'bonus' room area. My computer is a laptop now but I plan on having a small space for a desk and files.

I have a queen sized bedroom set with double dresser, tall dresser and antique make up table that needs to go in the bedroom area. A country french design couch, antique secretary, antique bombay chest that I use for the television, antique beautiful rocker, wing chair I use for reading and antique carved round table plus a few new bookshelves in my current lving area-pared down from a 3000 sq ft house I think thats pretty good. I currently live in a 900 sq ft apartment and everything fits-tight but it fits. I'm staying with French Country and plan on decorating with cream and terra-cotta colors. There is a small reoccurring terra-cotta theme in the upholstered furniture. I also have an antique oak table 48"X48" that I hope to put in the dining area.

Also looking for ideas that will allow me storage space and want sliding doors to minimalize door swing. I am going to have a craft/sewing area in the basement of the main house, and will share a washer/dryer with the family. Most of the cooking will be done in the main house as I do the majority of it so my kitchen does not need to be large.

Thanks for ideas.
SRM Architecture and Interiors
If you're interested in speaking with a local Portland architecture and interior design team, please check out our profile & give our office a call!

Best,

Madeline
0 Likes   August 1, 2012 at 11:18AM
ct design studio
Just at a glance I'm seeing your bathroom is not large enough to accomodate a wheelchair if one is ever needed. If the entry from the bedroom to the covered porch is not a priority you could create a dressing area/closet between bath and bedroom and a larger shower. Also pocket doors would save wallspace and are easy to plan for. I would give more of the bedroom to the bath, open up the bonus room to the bedroom, which could give you your desk space. The bedroom/bonus space could share one large doorway to the living room, using white/antique barn doors on sliders for a pretty rustic french country look.
1 Like   August 1, 2012 at 11:40AM
Ideas for handicap accessible bathroom and addition.
I am considering adding an addition on to an existing...
Need ideas for making an accessible apartment (FAB)
My husband has ALS and we are needing to downsize since...
Potential Accessible apartment plan
I have been looking at accessible plans all day and...
need additional bed in a small apartment.
Where do I get a murphy bed in Puerto Rico?
In law apartments& additions
Looking for floor plans for In law apartments and additions...
Christmas lighting question?
Hello! I have a white brick georgian colonial house...
Bed room advice
I have this bed but I need advice which colour of wall...
Please HELP furnish dining area !!
We would appreciate your feedback on how to furnish...
New color scheme for 1910 DC Row home
I am purchasing this home and like the cream color,...