Need help with living room and connecting dining room decorating.
qljanice
After selling all our furniture because we thought we sold our house and were moving to Florida, we how have decided to stay and redecorate. We removed carpet and refinished floors. We have a small living room with alot of problems which include a fireplace, bay window, door and opening between LR and DR. Space 15'x14'. What would be the best furniture to use and how to decorate?
Our dining room is 19'x11' and is long and narrow. What would be a best dining room set to buy. We want to make this a happy place from a sad circumstance. We are open to any ideas.
RenovateKate
What a great idea! I think I'll pretend I'm moving, sell everything, and give myself permission to start from scratch! :)

Would love to see more pictures of your space. The floor is beautiful and a great foundation. What style are you going for?
3 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 9:08AM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Fun! The 19x11 room absolutely needs a rectangular dining table and buffet at one end with the extra chairs from the table with no leaves in flanking. Then perhaps a less formal serving surface at the other end.

The Living Room depends so much on the door, the bay window and the opening layout, but if the front door is there remember to create a "landing space" for those using the front door, a table to throw keys, purses etc on, maybe a chair to change shoes, coat hooks, maybe.

Consider a window seat in the bay window, and floating the furniture in the middle of the room. Have the main seating face the fireplace and mount the TV low (better for your neck, and less part of the visual impact of the room) in a corner, on an arm so it can be folded away.

Post more photos for more specific advice! How exciting for you! I have sold two of our homes furnished but never the had the kind of clean slate you are talking about! SO FUN!
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 9:19AM
Susan Mills Design
I like that idea too, I was just thinking this morning I wanted to redo everything myself! Good for you for thinking positive, it's the energy that you bring to this new redo that will create a warm welcoming home that nourishes the soul and creates new memories for you and your family.

Definitly post more pics and tell us a bit about how you live, who lives here, how you like to entertain, what colours you love, and how you want your home to feel.

regards

Susan Mills
1 Like   June 17, 2012 at 9:21AM
qljanice
Here are more pictures. Need all the help I can get.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 9:58AM
qljanice
I have added more pictures. Since the room is somewhat small how should I arrange couch/chairs? Should I use a sofa or love seat with the room only being 14' wide? I had a sofa in front of the window before and didn't like it.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 10:01AM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Okay, I designed a quick layout for you with views- please ignore the furniture shapes and weird divisions in window/ pass thru openings.

7' sofa
two 3' wide upholstered chairs
ottoman coffee table (24" x 42")
tv over the fireplace (which I almost never do but it really works in here, bringing height and adding some importance to that fp).
an upholstered built in widow seat in bay window for cozy reading nook/ additional seating
a very shallow console table under opening to kitchen for "drop spot" keys, purses etc go here, perhaps bins underneath for shoes, lunch boxes etc.

Here's the rest in images...
2 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 10:41AM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Love this Julie Williams Design fireplace carpentry and paint, it ties the room together and gives it a strong focal point. In your case, I may add some wood storage on the side nearest the dining room to create a bit more balance because the FP is off center.

1 Like   June 17, 2012 at 10:46AM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Wait! I see that I did some different things with the wall behind the door- ignore openings, the living room seating area still applies.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 10:52AM
There is a post similar to this one, looks like there is a closet in between the living and dining room ? it's a bit difficult to visual without seeing the entire space all at once.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 11:03AM
qljanice
Yes there is a small closet. It makes the space at the far end of the dining room narrower than the rest of the room.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 12:49PM
qljanice
Shannon, WOW that is a great idea. I love the layout the think the table against the far wall brings the room together. What do you think I should put on that back wall over that table? A grouping of many pictures or one large picture? Not sure about the TV over the fireplace. We have a big screen TV in our family room, but I guess we could do another Tv there. Any other ideas for above the fireplace? Janice
1 Like   June 17, 2012 at 12:53PM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Oh Janice!!!!!

Perfect! I thought you HAD to have a tv there! Skip the tv!!! Use a gorgeous mirror or artwork! That's optimal.

And yes, a group or a large piece will work nicely over the table.

Bergen Street Residence

2011 Dream Home Bedroom at Merchandise Mart

Manhattan Beach Sanctuary
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 1:02PM
yvonnecmartin
You definitely need a specific place for people to deposit coats, purses, etc after they come in the front door. Although it would take up space, I suggest that you see if you can cram in some sort of closed cabinet/closet between the door and the wall. What do you do with coats now? It would also be good to provide some separation between the entry and the main room to prevent rain, wind, and snow from getting into the room. In one house I saw this done with a set of tall glass shelves decorated with various colored glass items. This provided the separation needed without making to room seem smaller.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 1:05PM

PAINT BOTH ROOMS THE SAME WALL COLOR AND COORDINATE THE FABRICS. SIMPLE, BUT YOU CAN BE VERY CREATIVE WITH FABRIC PRINTS.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 2:33PM
qljanice
If I put the sofa in front of the fireplace it doesn't leave much room when you open the front door, though I think about putting something there to define the entry space is a good idea.
Paint both rooms in the same color is also an excellent idea. The color of the walls in the picture above is the color we were thinking of painting the living room, but now we will paint both rooms the same.
What are popular assent colors these days? I surely appreciate everyones help. This is helping me focus on the good and not the bad which is what happened when the settlement fell through.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 3:52PM
yvonnecmartin
What's your favorite color or set of colors?
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 6:47PM
yvonnecmartin
I would put the sofa next to the fireplace facing the bay window. Is there room for that? Then two chairs opposite the sofa or one next to the fireplace and one facing it. The chair facing could also be a love seat placed farther from the door than you had the couch. this would make a virtual hallway between the front door and the dining room. You could also use a sectional.

Because the room isn't large, select furniture that isn't massive--no big wide arms and preferably legs on the sofa and chairs. Think also about the depth of the furniture. (Can you tell my taste is mid-century/scandinavian modern?)

I like the idea of a window seat or bench by the bay window.
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 7:09PM
nainibose
Am i mistaken or is the kitchen opening from the DINING ROOM and not the LIVING ROOM, which makes the suggestion me the console table not workable in the design,so you.ll still need to have some arrangement after the main door on the blank wall for keys coats shoes etc..
0 Likes   June 17, 2012 at 8:20PM
Shannon Ggem ASID
The room is drawn with the dimensions you mentioned, but of course I don't know exactly where the door and bay window fall. Here's one last shot at having that sofa face that fireplace!

You need only 3' between the sofa back and entry table to pass through to the other rooms from the front door. 4' will feel nicer, but 3' will do fine. The table could also go behind the sofa and the wall left blank.

Love the color you're thinking of!
1 Like   June 17, 2012 at 9:44PM
qljanice
The open is in the dining room and is between that and the living room. There is another open about the same width directly across from the dining to kitchen., so if you are in the kitchen you can see straight through to living room. I was in kitchen when I took picture. I have a pretty large kitchen. 20x19'. The kitchen was an addon to the back of the house. We put the opening because we didn't want the dining room to be dark and closed in. It is long and narrow.(old kitchen)
The picture above is the exact layout of the living room. Looking at the picture bottom there is an opening. The wall going half way across and ending where the long table would be on the end wall to the right of the picture. I have a picture to show that. I put two chairs next to fireplace to see what it would look like.
What would I use for lightning and where? I guess I could put two lamp at each end of the table, but will need more light.
I love black and I love shades of teal. My kitchen which you can see from LR & DR has a quarry tile floor, large brick fireplace and chef pictures over fireplace with a orange/yellow background. Lots of wood tones. Just put in a gas stove and will be putting in granite countertops in an ivory tone. Should I watch what colors I use in LR & DR because of what I used in kitchen?
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 4:01AM
qljanice
If I put the sofa facing the widow it would be tight and you would see the back of the sofa from DR and Kitchen. Not enough room to add a table behind it.
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 4:12AM
pcmom1
DECIDE WHAT WAY YOU WANT TO LIVE IN EACH ROOM FIRST! This is a great time to reinvent yourselves. Ask yourself: how often do I use a formal dining room? A couple of times a year? If so maybe the small living room could serve that purpose. Put the table in there. A round one? Or go for a drop leaf that will only be opened up and occupy the space when it is needed.
Maybe that small living room would make a great library. Line the walls with books, set up a couple of great reading chairs, add a small desk.
If it works for you: make the "dining room" into your living room or media room. Decide to design a lifestyle that really fits.
Really, what a blessing to get a "do over"!
1 Like   June 18, 2012 at 9:57AM
qljanice
Thank you for your ideas, but we do use our dining room. I would have like to put a round table and make it a more intimate dining experience, but the room lends itself to a rectangle table. I think everyone has been so helpful. I think I pretty much have most of it figured out, through the help of everyone except lighting and draps for the window in living room.
I must admit this is become fun!!
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 12:09PM
momof5x
I would probably knock down the wall between kitchen and dining area to make it look more spacious than you can add a dining cabinet against the wall where the clock is, dining table in front of it.

The small wall facing main door that separates dining area and living room perhaps could have a console there with a large mirror .

The area to the side of the main door could have closet ( bought or built in) for coats, umbrella, shoes etc.

Put tall green potted plants at either side of the entrance opening between dining room and living room and above on that narrow part of the wall near the ceiling hang several hanging dishes/China like decor to add the touch to dining area. On the other side put pictures. You could also add curtains and keep them open with tassles.

Put a rug in front of main door, and one large one from dining into living room to draw a connection to the rooms. The living room would look really nice with one large rug with furniture all facing fireplace area. The long sofa facing fireplace and you could add behind the sofa a table with vase of flowers on it and other decors. Lots could be done as above in fireplace area.
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 12:51PM
qljanice
I wish I could do that but it is a bearing wall. The wall between the two rooms use to be the back of house. We loved where we lived but needed more room. This house is a rancher so we just took out the back outside wall the length of the house and added a large country kitchen and a master bedroom & bath. You gotta love ranchers.
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 12:54PM
momof5x
You could make use of that wide window then by adding glass cabinets to it and use a round dining table as mentioned by someone earlier. Just curious is that door in the corner a toilet or just a storage closet?
0 Likes   June 20, 2012 at 2:27AM
qljanice
The closet is a storage closet. I keep extra serving pieces, linens, etc in there. There is no window in the dining room only an opening on both sides of it. One opening is to kitchen and straight across is the opening to the living room.
The glass cabinet could be a good idea for the part of the opening from the dining room to living room. Thanks for your help.
0 Likes   June 20, 2012 at 3:48AM
momof5x
Sorry about that I meant opening :) Wish you the best, hope you show us what you did when you have made the changes.
0 Likes   June 20, 2012 at 11:58AM
qljanice
Oh yes I will. Everyone has been so helpful!!
0 Likes   June 20, 2012 at 1:02PM
Susan Mills Design
One of the things I did once, and I do not have a picture, was to change a storage closet in a dining room to a custom cabinet with drawers below and lead glass doors above. The cabinet maker literally made it off site and then fit it into the opening and cased the frame. It looked lovely and added so much to the dining room. Just a thought!
0 Likes   June 20, 2012 at 6:08PM
qljanice
Thanks. Good idea though this is a narrow closet the door only 24". Probably too small for a cabinet. Does make you wonder why anyone would make a closet that small. That is why I use it for linens and extra serving pieces.
0 Likes   June 21, 2012 at 3:42AM
pcmom1
Could turn storage closet into a wine serving area: wine frig below, pouring area on top of frig area and glass storage above! In Calif. we like our wine!

Could also soften wall between dining and living by framing with drapery. Perhaps match with LR window.
0 Likes   June 21, 2012 at 8:01AM
qljanice
The closet into a wine area is a great idea!!!!! I love wine and I would be looking for a server not only to hold my china, etc, but to also hold my glassware including my wine glass collection. I collect hand blown wine glasses with different sea creatures.
I don't think I would put draps in the opening as I do like the open floor plan, though there probably should be something there.
0 Likes   June 21, 2012 at 9:32AM
qljanice
We now have a new mantle for our fireplace. Still working on the room. Got the walls painted a nice beige. I'm thinking of doing the room with beige sofa and chairs, some kind of black design drapperies. I was also thinking of adding a color for accent, but not red. Here is the picture of the new mantle. Would love to hear any ideas. I was also thinking of stacking 3 black & white pictures with black frame on the fireplace mantle.The chairs are going to be placed on both sides of fireplace. This is the sofa I picked out. Really need help with drap design!!!
0 Likes   August 18, 2012 at 4:16PM
How's it going now? Would love to hear how the house is coming together!
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 4:16PM
qljanice
Well we had someone in july come to our door and ask us if we wanted to sell our house and we thought about it and said yes. We had the house on the market before but gave up and decided to redecorate and stay and then this happened. It is funny how things happen. So we moved to Florida and are now decorating again here. After all the help I got on the old house I was kinda embarrassed to ask for help on the house. I really do need help. The formal owner used very heavy draps which I don't seem to think goes with the Florida look. I still have my beautiful furniture but had to add another couch cause the room was bigger. I am really impressed with all the good help with Houzz. The house turned out beautiful and I was kinda sad I had to leave all our hard work, but we always wanted to live in Florida. Maybe if I get enough courage I will ask for help with the new house. By the way, it is beautiful and we are very happy though we just moved in.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 4:33PM
Large living room and dining room connected with lots of teal..need help
Moving to large space with connected living room/dining...
elsakimak
Jana Lanford
Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room
We have been struggling deciding what to put on the...
Karla
Need help decorating living room dining room
Hello!! I want to start with dining room and need...
melissacoxsummey
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
low retaining wall for mid-century modern home
original retaining walls are collapsing, want to replace...
Gail Napell
Need a table like this!
I love this table I saw in a magazine. I have been...
jenfoley42
Debra Rowley
Brown and Grey
The carpet in my daughters room is a dark brown color....
lissaq10