Balance or a "Pop" of color?
susanrcope
Because of budget we chose a vanity that was interesting but still affordable. It turned out to be in the art deco style which I love and I feel that it goes with my more contemporary feel I am going for in my house. As you can see it has a very distinctive sea foam green glass counter top and sinks. My dilemma comes in when I struggle with the question of do I go for balance of that color in the room or do I just use it as a "pop" of color? The art deco style vanity drove the choice to have "marble-like" tiles with intermittent black ones. We also have glass tile with a slight green tint to add variety.

On the opposite side from where the vanity will be is the tub that has a huge window that begs covering. Tell me, should I try to incorporate all of the colors in the material for the window covering? Or do I go with black that will be the most overwhelming color on the one side where the vanity is. It is nearly impossible to find material that has black, white, grey/silver/chrome, and sea foam green in it (unless you go for the over $100/yard material) I usually can "feel" my way through decorating but sometimes I can get off track when it comes to balance. Please HELP!
susanrcope
The pic of the vanity is from the company's web site. Ours isn't installed yet. Also, the floor doesn't have grout yet and isn't cleaned. We got to this point and then my father-in-law had issues we needed to help with so we are away from the project for a while.
June 18, 2012 at 10:53PM   
Chandani
I think both options could work very nicely. If you do decide to carry the aqua to other elements like the curtains, I would do it sparingly. You could do a simple white curtain with a black curtain rod and do a solid aqua band on the bottom or a stripe part way from the top.
June 19, 2012 at 3:37PM     
Plantcrone (Elle)
Since you have an art deco room have you considered a piece of art deco style stained glass in your window? you don't mention the size but stained glass is available in lots of different sizes. It could be a spectacular focal piece complementing your great vanity..Iove the choice.
June 19, 2012 at 3:58PM     
pcmom1
You can always go with a more neutral window covering in the cream and black and just go to a fabric store and pick up some ribbon in the sea foam. Use the ribbon to tie or trim the curtains.

Then look for a few other ways to get the sea foam color around: clear glass cylinders filled with soaps, baskets of towels rolled up, etc. Go to antique stores and find some old silver dishes to set around the tub for some bling!
June 19, 2012 at 4:20PM     
suebob
use it as a pop of color. That way you don't get burned out on this deco piece..
June 19, 2012 at 6:28PM     
Mint Design
I would reflect the "wave" deco pattern of the vanity in the fabric in any of your colors, including white on white or even a wave texture.
June 19, 2012 at 6:46PM     
susanrcope
Thank you everyone!!! I love all of the comments! Chandani your simple, elegant approach is much what I want to do here. Elle...that stained glass example is fantastic!!! (Thanks for the compliment on my choice) pcmom1 your suggestions of the accents is brilliant! Suebob you are correct. Now that I think about it I would get burned out easily on the deco piece if that color were more overwhelming. MintDesign your idea of using the "wave" deco pattern is inspired! I am taking all of these suggestions to heart and building my design style. You all have been most helpful. Thank you so much!
June 19, 2012 at 8:04PM     
susanrcope
Oh! Elle. My window is 5'w x 6'h and has a patterned glass.
June 19, 2012 at 8:07PM   
Stanhope Design
Susan, Vanity is fabulous, love Art Deco style. It sounds like the design of this room has been well though out, kudos to you. If you really want to be creative with a window treatment..go to spoonflower.com & design your own fabric. The sky is the limit here & it is a very affordable option; starting at $16.20 per yard with swatches at $5.00. Moving forward, you can be certain this room will totally reflect your taste & personality! Good luck
June 20, 2012 at 5:06AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
What an exciting alternative, Stanhope Design! I will definitely look that one up. Perhaps incorporating the suggestion of using the "wave design" that MintDesign suggests can work out for me. Thank you for that awesome input!

I keep forgetting to mention that this window is "see through" even though it has a pattern and it's only a few feet from the neighbor's property.(will try to get a pic posted later today) I'm very modest and don't have exhibitionist tendencies so having a full coverage option is a must.

BTW thanks for you compliments. I had to kind of chuckle to myself when you said the room has been well thought out because I have mostly had to go with whatever I could find that isn't just standard that costs the least. Of course, I would have preferred to go with real marble floors and with a single glass sheet for my shower wall but the budget just won't allow. We are instead going with fake marble and glass block shower wall (something my husband can do himself) for the sake of budget. As it is, we are over budget. Sigh!
June 20, 2012 at 5:40AM   
The color combination of the vanity could still be a contemporary choice in today's bathroom, I would not introduce any more colors since they are quite unique to begin with.

June 20, 2012 at 6:22AM        Thanked by susanrcope
ltcroucher
What a coincidence! We got the same vanity for our master bath. I loved the blue hue of the glass but chose not to add more color (as Dytecture suggests). Our design is more contemporary rather than art deco. The shower wall and bathroom floor will have grey, wood-textured tile and the shower floor will be river stones.
June 20, 2012 at 6:40AM        Thanked by susanrcope
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Use the glass top as a neutral and do not attempt to bring in any greens to "match" the countertop. It's really a unique countertop, just let it breathe. I would go with the black and white color scheme you have going on in the floor tiles. That will look classic and modern with the glass countertop. On your window covering, just go with a solid. A modern aesthetic is really about less pattern. I've attached a picture of a master bathroom with a similar color scheme. I used a sheer and a pewter/ chocolate color on the curtain. It looks great with the dark cabinets and paneling. Good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. 1
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. 2
June 20, 2012 at 6:46AM        Thanked by susanrcope
Vicki Jackson
Stay neutral- I would opt for lots of white.. spa like design with nubby fabrics, basketweaves etc.
June 20, 2012 at 7:03AM     
susanrcope
Thanks Dytecture, ltcroucher, and Charmean for your caution on adding too much of that color. See, I tend to get off balance in certain areas. I AM interested in going with a modern touch but still love the art deco style. What I hope to achieve is modern/art deco design. I have found a few examples on Houzz and have been very excited about the concept.

Dytecture your modern approach is appealing to me. Charmean, I see what you mean with having not too much going on with the drapes. This look also appeals to me. You designers seem to have a magic touch with balancing the colors. That's an area I am weak in.

PS Dancingfish your comment came after I posted but when it showed on the site it came before my post. Must have been the same time. Anyway, thank you for your comment. Whites are pretty I have to admit. Now that I am getting feed back I see that trying to go with a print would have been that thing I hate in my bathroom without understanding why I hate it.
June 20, 2012 at 7:05AM   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Susan you have done just fine, you don't seem weak in anything. It's tricky to bring all these details together. You are doing the right thing and I'm sure you will get the look you are looking for. Just remember with a modern look, less detail is better. Modern really is about a few, well-appointed things. You will probably achieve this look by what you don't put in the design, rather than what you include. Good job so far! Charmean
June 20, 2012 at 7:13AM        Thanked by susanrcope
Lori Falk Interior Design
Hello Susan, I agree with Ellen and the stain glass as this would let light in but give you the privacy you desire. That said considering budget there is a product I have used when budget wouldn't allow for stain glass called SGO. You can find them at www.sgo.com They use colored films over glass to give you a stainglass look but more reasonably priced and it is really difficult to tell that it isn't stainglass. Other options start looking at flea markets etc and see what you can find. Many stainglass pieces can be combined and reframed to cover the window. If the pieces you find don't give you enough privacy you can always do a frosted film on the window that can be removed later if you want to change it. I love drapery but the maintenance in the bath with hairsprays and deodorants etc can be more work than it is worth. I also like the cleaness of no drapery with the Art Deco style. I agree with the color suggestions kept to a minimum in accents. This gives you options down the road to introduce other colors from the period when your ready for a change. Enjoy.
June 20, 2012 at 7:34AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
wagar2 I don't know who makes the vanity but I bought the vanity from Bath Vanity Experts on-line. bathvanityexperts.com I believe. Caution: their faucets that come with it are inferior quality. We got two that were nothing alike so they sent a third that was yet again different. We are just going to buy our own now.

Thanks again, Charmean for your great advice. With a renno it seems like I am constantly making choices and sometimes it gets overwhelming.

Individual Design, you have some great input as well. The sgo company looks like it could be a great alternative for me.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. Like I said, with a renno it seems like the decision making never stops. We are renno-ing our entire house eventually (one room at a time so it doesn't get overwhelming). I will definitely be using this forum as a decorating tool. You all have been MOST helpful. Thank you!!! Keep it coming.
June 20, 2012 at 8:29AM   
Plantcrone (Elle)
I had an Art Deco living and dining room for 20 years (after horrible Danish Moderne) and didn't get tired of it in that entire length of time..it is easy to change accessories, keeping the basic clean lines of the deco look.
Susan-the stained glass is very easy to make-well within the ability of a beginning glass maker-if you are at all 'crafty' I'd consider taking a class in stained glass and doing it myself. Otherwise, contacted a shop that sells glass making supplies for leads on glassmakers who can do a custom window for you. Both windows could be done in glass or one large window hanging over the whole thing could be done.

Lots of ideas for you to think about....have lots of fun.
June 20, 2012 at 8:56AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
Thanks Elle! I really LOVE the design you pulled out for me. I want to incorporate it somehow even if I don't do it large scale in the window.

I immediately went to my crafting background when you first mentioned this. While I don't do the actual glass I do something of using a liquid "lead" and painting on glass. Although actual stained glass would be stunning!!! I have so many things to think about and that pesky budget keeps getting in the way!!!
June 20, 2012 at 9:15AM   
Plantcrone (Elle)
Liquid lead and painting--love that idea Susan...bet it's how all stained glass makers started and available at every craft show. and sure could be done right over those pebbly glass windows....do them them off the wall if possible though..or do it on a thin sheet of plate glass and attach to existing window.
June 20, 2012 at 9:27AM        Thanked by susanrcope
zapper
Nice vanity, who makes it?
June 20, 2012 at 10:32AM   
ltcroucher
We got ours online, but Home Depot also carries it.
Design Element Jade 72 in. Vanity in Espresso with Glass Vanity Top in Mint and Mirror
Model # DEC023-GTP
Internet # 203194123
June 20, 2012 at 10:44AM     
hazelruth
Do be careful with the stained glass and your privacy. Moved into a house and the bath/shower had a lovely stained glass window right from your head to your knees. Not even thinking about it I showered in there for a few weeks - at night when I usually do. One night somebody turned their car so the headlights showed into the window! I was shocked and then heard a big cat call! I ran and flipped out the lights - pretty much crawl running. I was mortified!. I took baths in the dark until the opaque blinds came in. Stained glass still makes me nervous - clothes on or not! I was glad when we moved because I felt exposed when I went outside after that wondering if the new neighbors thought I was an exhibitionist or not or had seen me naked as a jaybird. Just saying... be careful!!
June 20, 2012 at 11:11AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
You can be sure I WILL be careful hazelruth. Our windows are very close to the neighbor's patio just beyond the fence. They could watch without being seen themselves. No thank you. Even with stained glass, I will either have a roman shade or drapes I can close when I want. I like having the light come through, however, so I am going to keep it open most of the time.
June 20, 2012 at 12:47PM   
susanrcope
zapper, I got my vanity from bathvanityexperts.com. They were fantastic about delivery (free with this order) and the delivery guy helped us a lot. It looks like the price with them might be better than with Home Depot too. See for yourself: http://www.bathvanityexperts.com/puttin-on-the-ritz-double-contemporary-bath-vanity-set-72-inch.html
June 20, 2012 at 12:59PM   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hazelruth. I know it shouldn't have, but your story really made me laugh. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. I can just picture you shyly walking out of your house wondering which neighbor flashed the tail lights on you and then wondering if you were the talk of the neighborhood. That was too funny! Thanks for the story!
June 20, 2012 at 1:27PM        Thanked by susanrcope
pcmom1
Hilarious! I found out you have to be careful with all shades: there is usually a little space between them and the window molding. Easy to fix by adding some side panels to the window. To see how much privacy you have at night, just walk around your home like a peaking tom.
June 20, 2012 at 1:42PM        Thanked by susanrcope
zsuzsikam
Keeping it simple with just black and white will always look great. I also spent a lot of time anguishing over color and texture for our bathroom and then in the end chose a simple black and white Victorian tile design for one bathroom and the other is all bianco carrara tile with just a single strip of lagos azul in 5/8ths mosaic. So there is a "tiled rug" floor with basket weave in the center of the room outlined in the lagos azul. It looks simple and makes a peaceful statement. Black and white with a hint of that lovely water color will always be in vogue. Your bathroom will look stunning when it's all finished.
June 20, 2012 at 5:49PM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
This is beautiful!!! If I had the budget that is what I would have chosen. Thank you for sharing.
June 20, 2012 at 6:08PM     
Lori Falk Interior Design
Keep in mind if you do the painted with liquid lead over a new piece of glass and hang over window/ or attach, you will need to use tempered glass for safety. If you slipped in the tub and put your arm through the glass the tempured would fracture into tiny pieces but non- tempered would be sharp shards of glass. Good luck.
June 20, 2012 at 6:20PM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
Thanks for the safety precaution, Individual Design. I appreciate that you are looking out for me.
June 21, 2012 at 8:44AM   
Lori Falk Interior Design
Susan you are welcome. There is so much to renovation and we focus on visual and budget. It's hard for the average remodeler to know safety and codes but its what keeps us all safe. Good luck.
June 21, 2012 at 11:00AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
Here's a little update: We had a little scare with my father-in-law so we haven't been working on the Master Bathroom that much. Got the vanity and sinks installed today. Things are coming along.
July 5, 2012 at 6:42PM     
ltcroucher
Nice!!!
July 6, 2012 at 6:28AM     
susanrcope
The project is coming along at a snail's pace due to many life distractions. We now have the tub and tile surround in now - progress!
July 27, 2012 at 2:06PM   
susanrcope
Well, everything is in place. All that's left is decorating. I'm taking it slowly so I can get just the right items for the room. One item is a vase and unusual floral arrangement. I will post more when I am confident I have the right combo (or I'm stuck).
August 31, 2012 at 10:11PM   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
This Vase and twigs with lights is nice .
September 1, 2012 at 4:43AM     
susanrcope
I guess the photo makes it look like there are lights on the "twigs". In actuality they are chrome color teardrop beads on them. I bought them at Pier 1 for a little bit of a pricey price but thought I saved so much on the rest of the bathroom a little splurge was in order. The vase is from Ross and just a happy find. The whole arrangement cost me about $40.
September 1, 2012 at 6:22AM   
gingerclaire
I know this particular fabric is a little out of the price bracket for you, but a similar pattern would look smashing with your vanity.
September 1, 2012 at 6:51AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
Oooooo! This material is stunning! Yes the price bracket is out of my league, sadly. Thanks for caring enough to have some input. I really take all of it to heart and try to get similar looks or the feel of what people are suggesting.
September 1, 2012 at 6:59AM   
gingerclaire
Do you have charity shops in the States? I suppose a budget alternative might be to scour these types of shops or EBay for a piece of exciting fabric, and then incorporate it a a highlight on a plainer background fabric. That way, you don't need to be buying yards and yards of expensive fabric. If you're lucky (or persevering) you might even find something original to the period! Most of my house is being renovated with purchases from Gumtree, EBay and the like. It's so much more satisfying when you find something you love AND it's a bargain!
September 1, 2012 at 7:19AM        Thanked by susanrcope
susanrcope
I maintain that anyone can decorate when they have sufficient money. To be able to decorate on an extremely tight budget takes some REAL talent. Checking out EBay, thrift shops, etc. would be a great resource. I have kind of forgotten those venues. I'm always on the prowl for something that will exactly fit. I kind of do myself in sometimes when I see a certain element that I think will be just perfect. For instance there is a material on Pinterest that I absolutely LOVE for a bench in this bathroom. It is a kind of embroidered white on white with a similar line as my vanity. Now I'm not satisfied with anything else that comes my way when it comes to that bench!
September 1, 2012 at 7:36AM   
susanrcope
I have to say that the advice I have received here has been spot on. I'm not finished yet because I have to acquire things within my budget and that takes some time but what advice I have heeded has yielded some great compliments. The only color other than black, white, and shades between is on the countertop/sink area with the Tiffany blue or mint green color. Charmean Neithart's advice to let that color "breathe" was exactly what needed to be done. Everyone loves what we have done with the room so far. I will post more pictures when there is more to post. Thanks for all the advice, inspiration and help. I appreciate it all! This forum is fantastic and I tell everyone I know about it and the kind of help I have received here.
October 5, 2012 at 10:24PM   
Need help picking out cushions for living room
I'm trying to finish up the living room. Would love...
Accessorizing help
Finally my couch has arrived! I'm waiting on a morrocan...
LANDSCAPING HELP! Front of house - Landscaping - Ashby, MA
The width of the house is 38'. The front yard is 105'...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Mirror/medicine cabinet size relative to size of bathroom vanity
Is there a standard formula or proportion to use in...