Fireplace
Heather Rockwell Interiors
June 21, 2012 in Photo Questions
Do you need to have a gas line to create this type of fireplace? Or can that be done another way?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes, I'm pretty sure this is a gas-fed fire. It's beautiful and refreshingly modern!
June 21, 2012 at 2:37pm   
Heather Rockwell Interiors
yes....beautiful...wish there was another way other than gas to create exactly that same look- the electric ones don't look so great...
June 22, 2012 at 6:59am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
check out http://www.focus-creation.com/FluidBook/UK/index.html#120 for an ethenol alternative that doesn't require any venting. Also look at www.cfd-na.com for the exclusive North American dealer for Focus a French company that makes wonderful options. And also look at http://www.modernflames.com/ for some very exciting products!
June 22, 2012 at 7:16am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Here's the one from Modern Flames that I was thinking of:
June 22, 2012 at 7:19am     
Heather Rockwell Interiors
so nice Cynthia! love it...that can go anywhere then..? thanks so much
June 22, 2012 at 10:29am     
mmonika
I think electric fireplaces have come a long way, even in the last few years. I was completely against them and wanted a gas fireplace, until all the factors were put on the table...
Gas fireplace unit - 5,000
Gas hook-up - 300
Venting - fortunately we have an existing chimney we could use, so cost of vent line ?
Space- smallest depth I could find was 15" so this meant I would now be loosing space in my already small dining room
Pro- real fire

Electric fireplace, which looked pretty darn good with faux wood, - 1500
Electrical outet - nothing, just plug in and go.. Or wire a separate outlet behind the unit itself ( I think we are doing that)
Venting- Don't have to
Space- 4-6 " for the unit to hang on the wall
PRO- You can have the ambiance of the fire without having the HEAT on and while electricity is more costly then gas, consider how much you will use it and the base monthly fee for gas. In the end, it was the same operating cost.

Also, we were told at the fireplace store we were at, while the vent-less gas fireplaces are an interesting idea, they are not completely odorless. The store keeper said they kept getting headaches when these units were on so that turned us off.
June 22, 2012 at 10:47am     
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Great advice! thanks for the good analysis. Yes, electrics have come a looooong way! And yes, they can go anywhere you have an electrical outlet.
June 22, 2012 at 12:31pm   
Sam Di Domenico
Hi there. Maybe a little late in response but I have lots of experience with both gas and electric fireplace in particular the modern flames. The modern flame heat output is minimal but like you said easy to use and no gas required. Room Ventilation not an issue either however a glass fronted sealed gas fireplace specifically for heating can look great and heat a large area. In many cases no room ventilation required.
July 7, 2013 at 10:48pm   
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...
EXTERIOR PAINT COLOURS
We are in the process of renovating our front verandah...
Need help thinking about my windows valance
I'm unsure if we should keep this valance or change...
Knotty pine dilemma keeping me up at night...
We have just purchased our first home!! Look at all...
Front yard
Looking for some suggestions for the front yard for...