Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelbrandon

Need Help Getting Kitchen Ready For Home Sale

michaelbrandon
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We covered some textured wall paper with this bead board. Not sure that it looks very good. I will put up some small 1/2" flat trim on the edge of the bead board all the way around.

Should I paint the bead board, the window trim, and doors w/ trim all WHITE.

Are the mismatched appliances killing my kitchen?

What else should I do that won't break the bank. (other than clean my kitchen. LOL)

Comments (24)

• michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Definitely paint the beadboard and chair rail a fresh white and consider updated cabinet hardware. Replacing the mini blinds with tasteful textured shades will also modernize your space. Most importantly, potential buyers will be most attracted to a kitchen that looks organized and spacious, so remove everything but essentials from your counters and purge the refrigerator of all magnets and memos. I would also remove your wine bottle art in favor of an over sized wall clock.
    Mt. Crawford Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with michigammemom and would also recommend painting your chairs and table white,...(if the table surface is not easily painted, cover it with a crisp white tablecloth) replacing the blinds with a white of cheery yellow valance, placing a clear or white bowl of lemons on the table and baking chocolate chip cookies for open house and special showings. If you do not currently have under counter lighting, please add some as light is the most important element in a kitchen. Otherwise a hidden lemon or vanilla diffuser to scent the room....all natural only please.... Please post you "after shots! :) oh, please paint the fan blades white or change to a more contemporary fan or light fixture; this one dates the space. I am attaching some photos of fans for you to consider. (I prefer the last one whih also hugs the ceiling making the room appear larger) All of these can be done quite inexpensively. Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with michigammemom and would also recommend painting your chairs and table white,...(if the table surface is not easily painted, cover it with a crisp white tablecloth) replacing the blinds with a white of cheery yellow valance, placing a clear or white bowl of lemons on the table and baking chocolate chip cookies for open house and special showings. If you do not currently have under counter lighting, please add some as light is the most important element in a kitchen. Otherwise a hidden lemon or vanilla diffuser to scent the room....all natural only please.... Please post you "after shots! :) oh, please paint the fan blades white or change to a more contemporary fan or light fixture; this one dates the space. I am attaching some photos of fans for you to consider. (I prefer the last one whih also hugs the ceiling making the room appear larger) All of these can be done quite inexpensively. Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Going along with painting the beadboard white, also a green countertop doesn't appeal to everyone, even just replacing it with another laminate counter would give you better return on investment.

Kitchen · More Info

Main Street · More Info
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    IF you replace the countertop, go with white. Do not try to guess the buyer's taste. Do not spend much. Lots of people do not like granite so, I repeat, do not spend much. Lots of buyers plan to renovated after they buy....:)
  • Becky Harris
    11 years ago
    First and foremost, talk to your realtor. He or she will have the best sense about what's worthwhile to change and what's not. Lose the fan (replace it with a very simple ceiling mount light) and the light fixture over the kitchen table. You can find a simple drum pendant to replace it for under $100 - basically a large lampshade with a bulb. If you get new hardware, pick up on it with any finishes in the new light fixtures.
  • myrns
    11 years ago
    Good suggestions above. You asked about appliances. I would definitely replace the fridge because the door opens the wrong way and change the over the range microwave to match the range, if your budget allows. In getting a property ready for sale the two most important things to do are de-clutter and clean.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Ask your hardware store about the paint that now is available to paint laminate countertops - white (agree with others) rather than replace. Love the idea of white beadboard and cabinet doors, closet doors, etc. You could also have the refrigerator & deishwasher painted by a professional...Most refrigerator doors can be switched from one side to the other, so look into that when the painter is there. Agree about changing out the light fixtures/fan. The white will make the room look fresh, and if the fridge, dishwasher and stove are the same color, the black of the microwave won't bother a buyer as much as thinking they may have to replace all the appliances.
  • 3wanda
    11 years ago
    All of the comments are great. When I look at your kitchen I see clutter. Too much stuff! Remember, you are selling the space so you want your kitchen to look spacious. Clear off counters, top of frig & magnets, pot holders on wall, spice bottles on stove, etc. Your kitchen will look larger, fresher and cleaner.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Paint!!! The dark entry door, pantry door, chair rail moulding, window and door frames, and beadboard would look much better in a crisp white. The drywall areas should also be painted so as not to look dingy. De-clutter counter-tops and fridge, and remove hanging pot-holders and any other doo-dahs. Also it looks like the adjacent space needs a little de-cluttering. If the budget allows, I would replace the light fixtures and cabinet hardware with something in brushed nickel to look less "1980's". If the overall appearance is fresh, the mismatched appliances will not be as much of an issue.
  • TXMEL
    11 years ago
    You've already received great suggestions. BEST advice i see is painting the beadboard, minimizing everything, and pack away stuff, cause you ARE moving anyway! Leave ONLY coffee maker and a tea kettle on counters! Sellers think people can overlook "stuff".... they WON'T.
    MINIMIZE, MINIMIZE!!! Do this throughout, and you'll sell quicker!

IF you want to spend some money, replace the floor and countertops, or advertise an $$Allowance for this, or appliances, and let them decide... eliminating the negative for not doing it up front!

Get a CMA $$$ from your realtor... how do you compare to homes selling/SOLD in your area... base how much you spend on THAT! U don't want to spend more than you could ever recover!!!
  • slbrez
    11 years ago
    As said before, clear all items from counter tops and walls, except for a well placed and decorative item or two.
    Paint the eating area wall a nice soft lighter color that complements the counter top and the table top. Reorient the table 90 degrees.
    Flip the refrigerator door.
    As another said replace the ceiling fan with a low profile light that provides ample light to the kitchen cooking area.
    Replace the light over table with something more modern like an Ikea chandelier in a brushed nickel.
    Replace the cabinet hardware to a brushed nickel color or spray paint.
    I don't mind the beadboard color
    The cheapest appliance to replace would be the microwave - if your realtor recommends swapping it out for a white one.
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    If , the appliances are white, the walls should NOT be white! *hard to match whites in a kitchen IMHO. To lighten a kitchen, I love Sherwin William's Jersey Cream...anything white (appliances, etc) just "pops". I have always been one that paints the ceilings the same as the walls (I really do not like white ceilings!) That way, too, a new white ceiling fan would look just right! I'd love to see the kitchen w/everything (magnets, and all the counter-top stuff!) out! That would help you decide on what color to paint. If you have a great view, no curtains, just lovely clean window trim. I also love crown moulding in a kitchen (ok, bathrooms, everywhere!) Using white crown moulding, against the chosen color of wall n ceiling, it'd look great!
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    11 years ago
    Kitchens sell homes!!!! Do as much of the wonderful advice you got from above as possible!
  • furrytoes
    11 years ago
    Ask your realtor what is popular for kitchens and bathrooms in your area. If you haven't chosen a realtor yet, interview at least 3, and ask each of them about inexpensive updates for your kitchen, etc.
    Some great advice I've received: Pack anything you won't need in the next couple of months into boxes and rent a storage unit to put them in. Color code your packing boxes by room, e.g., green labels for kitchen, red for master bath, yellow for dining room (buy bright colored file folder labels). When moving day comes, label each room in your new house with the corresponding color -- then all your friends or movers have to do is follow the colors. The main thing people want to see is a clean house and nearly empty storage.
    During the time your house is on the market place fresh flowers at least in the kitchen. My favorites are planted flowers in gift baskets from the grocery store (they last longer), especially plants like chrysanthemums. As soon as they start to fade, REPLACE THEM.
    Keep ALL of your receipts -- almost anything you do to sell your house may be tax deductible and will off set capital gains, like paint, light fixtures, and the bead board you just installed. Good luck!!
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    I agree with painting all areas reachable white, beadboard, walls. ceilings etc. Change ceiling fan, the low 3 blade fan is 189 at Lowes in white and countertops laminate 30 a sq, ft and 36 for light granite. Painting all appliances a great idea and I would get an inexpensive or an interesting table paint if white with white chairs. I would leave the cabinets wood.
    But the biggest part is to remove everything in sight, empty countertops, side of fridge etc.
    With what houses are selling for these days I would make the lowest budget possible and stay there, We are not getting any return on investment I. homes unless you are in the 4 or 5 hot zip codes and in the million dollar range. So, unless you can afford it, I would go really slow. Clean up first and paint, do the fan and table and see what happens. Unless you can paint laminate, if yes, then go for it. But entire house must be rid of any personal photos, closets 1/2 to storage or friends garage empty 3/4 kitchen closets inside look bigger everywhere. And remove any books you do not need and make bookshelves decorative. Then get ready for the visits, set the tables, put out flowers, burn an apple cinnamon candle etc. Beds made towels folded etc. And be prepared to live this way for a while, lots of looked loos out and banks tough. So, go for it, but do not spend a lot of money.
  • Tracy Spencer
    11 years ago
    Before replacing refrigerator (mentioned by someone else) look into whether or not your door can be mounted on the other side (many have this feature). With all the different finishes of wood in the area, your kitchen doesn't have a cohesive feel, it's choppy looking. Pick a color stain and refinish all the doors and cabinets to that color. The mismatched wall mount microwave sticks out like a sore thumb, definitely look at the painting option mentioned above as replacing is expensive. I also agree painting or staining the wood trim around the kitchen table and your chairs would give it a fresher look and make it look more cohesive.

I'm also leaning to painting the beadborads and chair rail white. I would leave the countertops alone picking a color you think a potential buyer may like is tough as everyone has their own style and personal likes and dislikes.

You can repurpose your mini blind to make a great fabric roman shade, there are many diy websites to show you step by step how to do it or replace it., you can find new for $12-$15 dollars if you shop around.

And the most important thing is declutter and clean to perfection. Accent with bowls of fresh fruit (more economical than flowers as you can eat the fruit after the showing). Burning candles is great in theory, but I lie on the side of safety, you don't leave burning candles unattended, look into a led option candle and carefully tuck away a plug in to give that apple cinnamon scent or bake an apple pie to leave cooling during the showing which evokes a homey feel and again can be consumed after the showing.

There are several great articles here on staging a house for showing, check them out and good luck.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    While at it, don't forget to check front door. Does it need painting? First impressions are really important.
  • PRO
    Anthony O. James, Architect
    11 years ago
    I agree about painting the beadboard, but also the flush doors as their stain clashes with the cabinets, which are fine. My thought is to do the flush doors in a French blue, and the walls a warm Provencal yellow. The beadboard could go to a lighter grey/blue. I think the chairail and other trim could stay stained, which I would try first. But if that doesn't work for you, a nice cream for the trim would be good. This color scheme would totally transform your kitchen, and yet work with the cabinets and the blue counter tops you have. As far as the appliances go, I wouldn't worry about them for the moment. When you have extra dollars to spend it would be good for them all to match, but not as important as changing the paint scheme.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Don't worry about matching the whites of the appliances and the walls. Let the buyere decide if they want a color. People react differently to different colors and no color you choose will appeal to every buyer; no one is turned off by white. Here are a couple of photos as examples.... Good luck! :)
  • shead
    11 years ago
    If I were a betting person, I'd say your kitchen is circa 1994-1997 because my parents have the exact same kitchen cabinets and countertop!!

You don't appear to have much counter space, so replacing the laminate with another, more neutral laminate, would not be more than a few hundred dollars. I WOULD NOT try to paint the countertop because of the time, effort, and expense involved vs. replacing it with an in-stock laminate from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I would also paint the beadboard, as others have suggested, and replace the hardware.

Most other points have been hit already (declutter, change out fan, replace artwork etc.)

Lastly, I find the contrast between the floor and the cabinets distracting. I'd either invest in new vinyl flooring or I'd have it tiled (in a very neutral color, of course).

As others have stated, kitchens sell homes, but be sure not to overspend for your neighborhood.
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    Money and good deals are selling homes these days. People are all watching the do it yourself shows. My home is on the market and needs no work. They wanted to add a bathroom and deducted 100,990. I just laughed, they just want bargains. So hang in there, stay focused do your work, keep the place spotless, there is a book, simply,e stuff, clean shower curtains, ckean tubs and shine faucets etc. If floors really bad I. kids rooms which sometimes happen get carpet inexpensive at pottery barn and cover the area. fresh sheets, apples and cinnamon in water to set a nice aroma. And then wait.
    good luck,
  • Kate
    11 years ago
    Hello, I agree with many of the other comments on painting the bead board, but please be careful which white you go with. What color is your floor and appliances? Are they white or bisque? You need something that makes them look better not worse. We have cabinets similar in color, and my husband back when we were dating painted the walls white, and it made the cabinets look horrible. When we married I repainted the kitchen a beige with a little kaki in it. The cabinets looked so much better. So, I would recommend a softer white, not stark white. And a softer color of counter too. Just for reference the color we used was Benjamin Moore: Bleeker Beige. Not sure of your cabinet color, so be sure to take a door to the paint store with you. Purchase a very small sample of the color you like and see how it looks at home in your lighting.
    If you pick the right color the counter may not look so bad. Many men would like it. And a lot of people will change it no mater what you pick out.

I like the idea mentioned in placing a bench on one side of the table, and move the table over. That would make the space look larger. Also liked the comment on placing a large clock in place of the wine artwork. Good luck.