11 years ago
Coan Waterfront Landscape, Camano Island, WA · More Info

Comments (8)

• kimmclain
    11 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • benleeds
    11 years ago
    Does the Thumus serphylum thrive on the west coast...Malibu?
  • pamlegros
    11 years ago
    love it!
  • marewalker7
    11 years ago
    I live on the west coast. The front lawn is dry and infested with dandelions. Could this work to pretty it up?
  • PRO
    Lankford Associates Landscape Architects
    11 years ago
    Hi There,

The plant that looks like phlox is Thymus serphyllum, also known as red mother of thyme. It is a mounding ground cover that blooms for about 2-3 month in spring/summer. It is drought tolerant and spreads easily but is easy to control. It can be mowed after flowering to keep it low. It also can bear light foot traffic. I like it because it stays green year round. In the spring it has bright green leaves and in the fall the leaves turn bronze. The garden is located in the northern Pacific Northwest on the north end of Camano Island. The garden gets little or no water and has interest throughout the year.
  • jarrow
    10 years ago
    How spectacular. Would this plant grow in south east Queensland Australia where the winters are mild and arid and the summers wet and humid?
  • PRO
    Lankford Associates Landscape Architects
    10 years ago
    Thymus serphyllum should survive there. It does well in drought, so the wet summers may give it some trouble. I think if you plant it in a sunny, sandy loam it would survive. Try a small one to see the success and habit of the plant and let me know if it works.