Help with Master bedroom paint color and decoration ideas
bonnieteng
We're moving to a new house and would like some ideas for the paint colors in the bedroom. The rest of the house will be mostly painted with a light taupe, but for the master bedroom I'm thinking to have a grey/slightly blue light paint color for the walls and an accent darker grey color behind the bed. Ceiling will be white. We'll be getting all new furniture and accessories so we're considering wood headboard (slightly curved) or simple looking black four post bed for a more dramatic look. Also not sure about window treatments or how to create contrast but not make the room too dark or serious. The wood floor will be refinished to a dark espresso finish and we'll have white crown molding trim. Please advise in any design/furniture/color and decoration ideas for our master retreat! Some pictures attached (the furniture in there are not ours but the previous owner's). Thanks in advance!
pcmom1
What sort of light do you get in the bedroom? Bright southwest? I would guess more northeast. Plus looks like a lot of trees. Maybe grey/slightly blue would make room feel too cold. I would also not leave ceiling harsh white. Even painting it a warmer white will help it not feel like it was forgotten.
June 22, 2012 at 7:02pm     
bonnieteng
The light is southeast but not crazy bright because you're correct, there's lots of tress in the backyard. I will definitely consider painting the ceiling a warmer white! Thanks so much for the great suggestion!
June 22, 2012 at 7:45pm   
Faireden
Benjamin Moore makes a soft gray that looks almost silver. If you use the warmer white suggested above for trim and ceiling it would be so beautiful. I think gray walls with your espresso floors would be very understated and sophisticated. Decorate with lots of silver and blues and to keep it from being way too masculine, pops of a pretty pastel color like lilac. Any woods keep dark and moody. For window treatments keep them simple and tailored simple white shears if you don't have to block light. Lined white crisp linen if you do.
June 22, 2012 at 8:37pm     
bonnieteng
Wow thanks Faireden, it sounds like a modern spa retreat with the colors you suggested! I am so excited to get some sample paint to try on poster boards this weekend! Will try lined white crisp linen maybe with white shears in the back...
June 22, 2012 at 8:45pm   
apennameandthata
I recon that a white ceiling will automatically kill anything you do. If you like, you could use Benjamin Moore above on the ceiling and moldings, and a darker grey on the walls.
June 22, 2012 at 10:08pm   
Hi bonnieteng, I would start with looking at images such as the houzz website, and also it might help to visit a fabric store and pick out a pattern / design that you like and start layering the room with textures and patterns. The wall color is actually one of the last things usually being picked as there are endless choices compared to fabrics.

Good Luck.

Master Bedroom

Seeley Master Bedroom
June 23, 2012 at 6:36am   
betsyweisberg

I find this room very inviting and unexpected-consider all shades of white and cream.
June 23, 2012 at 7:35am   
pcmom1
Last photo looks like a semi gloss on ceiling. I have heard this is also a great way to help light bounce around room.
June 23, 2012 at 7:46am     
54cass
your plans and the suggestions i have read sound lovely for you. i wonder if something for the bed instead of more wood might have a greater impact and compliment the silvery gray walls adding a sparkling rather than subduing vibe. i just like metal and mirrored funiture and lots of glass with one stunning wood something when i have an impressive wood floor as you do. would you consider louvered shutter type closet doors to add some texture? sounds like a fun project. good luck
June 23, 2012 at 8:01am     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Try Nickel 2119-50 by Benjamin Moore. This is a perfect gray/blue color. I would contrast the walls with light furniture, like white nightstands or mirror. I really love the upholstered beds with modern lines. I would suggest a white or pale fabric on the bed to contrast the walls. Take a look...

If you stain the floors dark, look for a great rug that will anchor your bed, usually an 8x10 or 9x12 works for a bedroom. I would suggest something fun and transitional to compliment modern lines on bed, like this... http://www.rugstudio.com/ImageGallery.mvc?productId=458917
Your room also looks big enough for a seating area or bench in front of your bed. Blues, creams, and tans all look great together. Perhaps some tan lounge chairs with a table in between close to the windows. Hope this helps, good luck with your project.
Charmean Neithart
June 23, 2012 at 8:21am   
Need help with master bedroom decor + paint
Would love ideas for paint palette for main walls,...
HELP! Need color and decorating ideas for my new Master Bathroom!
Here is my new Master Bath.... I will be adding a chandelier...
Help! Need color and decorating ideas for my new Master Bath!!!!
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...
Kitchen tiles
Heya, Could you please help me in picking out kitchens...
Combination foldable window & door system
We are planning a remodel and are considering a combination...
Need ideas for exterior update
Ok- here is the front of our house- blech! The yellowish...