Coffered Ceiling
rpa2012
June 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
Is your coffered ceiling made of wood and painted or is it prefabricated plastic? If it is wood, what type of wood did you use for the coffered ceiling, and how is your ceiling finished - Soffit or some other material.

Thank you.
Frederick + Frederick Architects
That is the exposed structure from the porch above. The beams are southern yellow pine painted. The ceiling is the underside of the floor above and is stained.
June 23, 2012 at 9:36AM   
rpa2012
Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to do as well - to have a porch above. What kind of flooring did you use on the porch above to maintain a dryness on this porch below?

I was planning to lay stone or tiles to make the floor water proof, but would've preferred something else that gives more of a patio feeling more so that an inside tiled floor. Any other recommendations? Do you have pictures of this deck from other angles?
June 23, 2012 at 10:13AM   
Frederick + Frederick Architects
Both porch floors are T&G Southern Yellow Pine
June 23, 2012 at 10:35AM   
rpa2012
Okay. Did you lay tiles on top of the Yellow pine or you just glued them together to get a tight seal between the seams to prevent water from seeping down to the floor below?
June 23, 2012 at 10:51AM   
Frederick + Frederick Architects
The second story porch has a roof. We did not put tiles on the floor because the proches will get wet with blowing rain.
June 23, 2012 at 11:08AM   
rpa2012
Yes, indeed the lower porch will get wet, but I was just wondering how you prevented water from seeping down from the second story porch to the lower deck, that could potentially ruine the painted coffered ceiling shown on the picture.
June 23, 2012 at 10:34PM   
Frederick + Frederick Architects
The porch floor is sloped from the house to the front of the porch so the water doesn't stand on the proch floor. The tongue and groove flooring keeps water from dripping through.
June 24, 2012 at 10:42AM   
rpa2012
Thank you. I won't take more of your time, but one more comment!

Now that you have mentioned that you are just using tongue and groove to keep water from dripping through, I am debating whether that is sufficient to have good sealed flooring good enough to be able to hang an electric fan and some lights on the ceiling of the lower floor.

I was debating whether to go with tongue and groove or to actually tile the floor, but tiling would take away that traditional deck feeling.
June 24, 2012 at 12:24PM   
Diann
AH very comforting porch love the ceiling I will take a mint jul... please Nice
June 24, 2012 at 12:53PM   
Kidlet COmpany LLC
Was the porch swing made by you or did you purchase it? If so, can you tell me where it was purchased from?
June 15, 2013 at 9:27AM   
Frederick + Frederick Architects
Our contractor made it from our design.
June 15, 2013 at 6:16PM   
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Driveway entrance
Please help with my driveway. We want to move it up...
Chasing a certain brick.
I'm really in need of some help I'm desperately looking...