Wallpaper in a vaulted room
luxparaJune 25, 2012
I want to redo my bedroom with this wallpaper, but I am unsure how to do it with the vaulted ceilings. I worry that it would be over kill to do all the walls up to the ceiling, but I really don't want to do just one wall. Any advice appreciated!
pcmom1
Difficult to give any thoughts without seeing more views of your room and the layout. Can you post more pics? PS: Not anti-wallpaper at all, the vaulted ceiling in my family room is wallpapered with a mattress ticking stripe (cream/lt brown) and it adds a nice bit of interest.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:33PM
AJD Interiors
Hello,
Love the wallpaper! If you really want to make a statement, do all the walls. It looks like you divided the wall/ceiling already with paint, which is fine- you can use that as your end point for the wallpaper. ( end the wallpaper where the yellow paint stops) You can add a narrow chair rail/ trim to cover the line where paint meets wallpaper also.
Another idea is to only wallpaper the area behind the bed- You can "frame out" a large square of wall behind your headboard with inexpensive trim, and have the wallpaper in that frame. This would give the room a very nice focal point as well.
Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:47PM
House of L Interior Design
This is a classic Nina Campbell "statement" paper. The pattern tends to be large and really works best as a focal point for a larger room such as a bedroom. I definitely would not recommend using it on the vaulted ceiling as I think it would not compliment the design or repeat. If you wanted to expand on AJD Interiors' idea with creating a "framed out" area for wallpaper, doing a panel per wall (or more, depending on size of walls) could create interest all around the room, comparable to a paneled room. Also, painting the frame one of the brighter colors, such as the fuchsia would add a huge pop of color around each panel. Hope this helps!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 3:15PM
Cabell Design Studio
Hello luxpara,

Gorgeous Nina Campbell paper!! Frankly, I agree with pcmom1...it's difficult to judge without seeing more pictures of the ceiling. However, wallpaper is enjoying a popularity resurgence. If you have the budget.....paper the entire room.....It will be absolutely stunning!

Best of luck with your decorating and let us know if you need any assistance obtaining that paper!

Elizabeth
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 3:36PM
luxpara
We haven't moved in yet, we will in 3 weeks. Here is another shot of the room. Thank you for these ideas, I really appreciate them!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 3:45PM
Mint Design
I suggest you paper all the walls to the ceiling and paint the ceiling exactly the same shade as the pale background of the paper. To only go as high as the yellow paint would shorten your room. I would not recommend that and this bold paper would be dwarfed and timid if you cut it short. Show us "after" photos please! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:08PM
Mary Pettit
This is a dramatic wallpaper! I saw this treatment of a vaulted room with paint and wallpaper that seemed to match the drama of your paper. You could do as Mint Design suggest with matching the background color of your wallpaper but in a pearlized finish.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:23PM
luxpara
I love these ideas! I think a full room of the wallpaper would look stunning, but I bet it will be expensive!

For some reason there is a large part of the wall that is open (see 1st picture of room). I think that the owners wanted to put their flatscreen up there, it has an outlet. What should I put there? Maybe close it up?
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 5:14PM
pcmom1
I would close it up.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 5:20PM
Sauve
I sincerely suggest that you either find an application that will do a repeat of the pattern on at least four images of different viewpoints of the room in question and then print out the results. Place you favorite image somewhere that you will see it at least once everyday. Make your decision only after 30 days.

I suggest this because I fell in love with some beautiful and expense wallpaper long ago. After 3 months of saving I had enough money to buy enough wallpaper to cover one wall; which is exactly what I did. It took less than a week then to realize I didn't like the wallpaper but I liked the tone, color values and the psychic undertanding of the paper. Because I realized this I saved myself a ton of money. I painted the walls in tones to match the paper. I even framed a repeat stable section in a frame and hung it on the opposing wall. There are many ways to deal with wallpaper. They are all labor intensive and expensive. Try it on one wall first. Then you won't be pulling your hair our later.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:06PM
Staged & Styled by Susan
I would not use this wallpaper in this room...it is too small. I think you would be very disappointed. Perhaps you should pull out some of the colors in the wallpaper and do colorful throw pillows on a neutral bed cover, a very large bold piece of art and some patterned curtains.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:12PM
pcmom1
Room seems a little busy to me, many doors, unique windows, etc. I am no designer, so I wonder what you real designers think of wallpapering just the upper portion of the walls. The colors could be brought down thru a great area rug under bed, throws, pillows, etc.

The pattern of the paper would be there to enjoy, but not so "in your face" all the time.

I was also wondering if the wall paper was framed out with molding, a la french chateau. It could still be enjoyed on every wall, but there would also be a little relief from it.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:25PM
Danielle House
I like the idea of doing all the walls and painting from the start of the vaulted ceiling in the same color as the background. This will open up the room and make it look larger. The color in the room now with the trim is closing it in, as well as the 4 poster bed taking up visual space. I think it would be soft, romantic, flirty and whimsical to go bold in the wallpaper and stay light and bright with crisp and feminine white and pull your accent colors like the turquoise, purple and green for fresh flowers bedside, vases, lamps, books, etc... But, I would keep the furniture white, acrylic, or choose one piece (like chest of drawers) in turquoise, with white accessories and the white or acrylic bedside table(s), or vice versa and do turq. for bedside. I would keep everything for the most part light, with just a few accent colors to make a pop! I do not think the room is too small. You wouldn't want to use this wall paper in a large room anyway.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:11AM
Christine
I would wall paper the whole room but nix the wood trims. I would go with a white trim and if the ceiling is truly vaulted have you thought about installing a type of beadboard treatment on the ceiling. They you need to luxe up the whole room with calmer fabrics with textures and simple prints and a nice rug. Mario Buatta is the supposed King of layering intense fabrics like the one you want to use. Maybe you can google his work and get an idea.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 5:44AM
Hi luxpara, not sure why you are against only doing one wall of wallpaper, but with such a strong graphic design, I would suggest covering only the gable ends and leave the other sides a complementary color and see if it's enough impact first before covering the entire room. Perhaps you can find some accessories with similar motif to carry the theme throughout the bedroom.

Master Bedroom

Tarrytown Remodel
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 6:52AM
Architecture Grad
A vaulted room like this is perfect for a "Tent Room" where the upholstery and matching wall treatment create the impression of military field camp. A great example is at the Charlottenhof in Potsdam.
http://decoration-ancientandmodern.com/post/10501316427/schloss-charlottenhof-and-the-pleasures-of-tented-rooms

is a very good explanation of this sort of space.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 9:53AM
Mona Ives
I think you should paper the whole room up to the start of ceiling, paint the ceiling the background color of the paper - OR for more fun - use grasscloth on the vaulted ceiling as a textured plain. Grasscloth comes in many colors and you can likely match the pale background of the paper. I'm actually working on a master bedroom now that is vaulted and that is my plan. Also I agree with someone above - paint the trims white. If you do nothing else in your new home, do that. Also, recommend a plain colored pale drape with a contrast colored band in the bright fuschia or turquoise tone. Make sure you save money for custom drapes. I always find it said when a client spends tons of money on wallpaper and then doesn't have money for proper draperies, thus taking away from the look. Good luck. I'd love to see it.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 11:51AM
pcmom1
So, how confused are you now?

You said "we" will be moving in. If you have a spouse in picture does he love this wallpaper as much as you?

When I first saw your paper, I thought it would look great in my powder room. Just a thought: do you have a spot that is small, like a powder room, where you could see this paper up close, for just a few minutes at a time? Enjoy it, but save a ton of money?

Hear design advice all the time about keeping expensive, difficult to replace areas (kitchen back splashes, etc.) along the neutral lines.

This is all personal taste, but when I look at the above photos posted by Christine, the bedroom on the left looks a lot easier to live with long term (you could enjoy your wallpaper pattern and color through the fabric of your draperies, area rug, etc.).

The one to the right with all the wallpaper, patterns, etc. just reminds me of a room of a person with the means to change it often.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 1:25PM

HERE IS ANOTHER IDEA FOR YOUR PAPER. DO ONLY ONE WALL AND PAINT THE OTHER WALLS AND CEILING THE SAME BACKGROUND COLOR.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 1:37PM
luxpara
These are all great comments. I'm afraid that I don't have the money or chops to pull this off, and that is just what I need to know. I wish I had a powder room to put this in.

This is our first house and it's a craftsman with mostly black walnut trim and floors. The current owners have painted it in classic craftsman colors, but I want to modernize it and bring in some brights. I don't want to paint the trim, as most of it is original and in great shape.

I'm starting to think that I should go with my original idea of painting the whole room in dune white - a greyish white - instead of the warmer colors that they are using. I also want to avoid filling it with classic craftsman furniture, maybe something more Room & Board.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:06PM
A white-ish room is perfect to frame parts of the wallpaper above your bed.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:11PM
Faireden
Trust your instincts and begin with the wall behind the bed - that will not look overwhelming and won't be too expensive. Only wall paper up to the edge of the gold paint. Paint the walls and the vaulted ceiling the neutral color of the stems but much, much lighter in other words a warm white. It will look lovely with your natural wood trim. Inclose the big square area with a decorative door or doors painted the same color as the walls. Then you can use this area to stash stuff. Stay clear of grayed whites, especially in a matte finish not a pretty sight!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:31PM
Mint Design
I am so sorry to hear that....was so looking forward to seeing it....was stunning in my imagination! I am attaching a photo of a bedroom I did with a vaulted ceiling where I had the entire room and ceiling washed in a heavenly blue. I hope you will consider a color as the white family can get very dingy in the corners and where the ceiling meets the walls; with a color wash it looks natural and continues as it ages. :)
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:34PM
Mint Design
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:35PM
pcmom1
Your first home! What an exciting time for you! Don't be afraid to follow your instincts. Maybe the wallpaper for now is too big a step, but take it as your room's inspiration. One of the soft greens, blues or purples in the paper would be beautiful on the walls (I have a light carribean green in my bedroom and love it with my wood trim). Paint is cheap, especially those little sample jars.

Might take your paper sample and go to the fabric store. Find a fabric you love. Making some simple side panels for your windows is easy sewing (straight stitch). As I believe I saw Dytecture post somewhere: paint color is often chosen at the end since there are so many choices, matching is easier. I think framing some as your art is a wonderful idea.

Decorating your home is a life long journey. And it isn't brain surgery: no dies if you make a mistake.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 3:08PM
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 5:10PM
pcmom1
As I made dinner I thought of ways you could still enjoy your wall paper: Paper your bedroom closet! Get nice matching hangers. Most of it will be hidden by your clothes, but it will make you smile every time you open it. (I had a lot of fun with painting my kitchen pantry lavender blue a few years ago (left over paint from daughter's room)). Will look great with a color from the paper on your walls.

Also, line your dresser drawers, bathroom cabinets, bookcase, french memo board, desk blotter, etc..... Paint walls, but have a mural inspired by design painted on a wall somewhere in the room.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 7:48PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
The pattern you selected is great fun. You can frame in oversized sections of the wallpaper on all your walls. The frames can be simple mouldings that act as picture frames, like this...

I would stay away from doing the paper all the way up to the vaulted part of your ceiling. I think it will be too much of a good thing. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 6:01AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Charmean I think you have an excellent idea there. It would show off the full repeat (and more) but be contained and more calm than putting it everywhere.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 3:44PM
Which lighting fixture for my living room with vault ceiling?
My living room has a vault ceiling with light colored...
piperina318
Help needed to warm up and quiet down a vaulted ceiling lining room.
My living room has 18' ceiling that reaches up to the...
Ellesse Bee
Painting a vaulted dinning room that adjoins the living room.
Recently painted the living room and removed wallpaper...
fariac
Horizontal stripes with a vaulted ceiling?
I'm loving horizontal stripes and thinking about painting...
Shannon Pavey
Need help in lighting a living room with vaulted ceilings
can you you use floor lamps etc with recessed lighting...
lhultmann
ı need a living room design
there re my stuff u will see on photos. i need your...
Ilknur Cansızoğlu
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
ı need a living room design
Ilknur Cansızoğlu
returns
I like a chandler but not sure if we hang it buy only...
brianacal
*Kitchen: help! We would love your advice!*
We are currently flipping a house and are stuck in...
Laurie