What makes a master bath shower a "spa shower"?
mayacamas
June 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are building a master bathroom, and we have been advised to design a "spa shower." What are the components of a spa shower, if you dont want to do a steam shower? Rain head? Wall head? Body jets?

Help!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
StoneMar Natural Stone Company LLC
I think the term "spa shower" just means that the space should feel luxurious to you. Any of those elements, as well as beautiful tile and a spacious area, will create the spa feel. What fixtures do YOU want? You will be the one using the shower, so think about what will be the most relaxing for you.

Here are some ideas that our clients think are "spa-like"
Transitional Spa Retreat
Uniquely Transitional Bathroom Remodel
Modern Philadelphia bathroom
Spa Bathroom Remodel

Good luck with your project.
0 Likes   June 28, 2012 at 12:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
It's important for you to design what works for you and meets your needs. Master bathrooms are not inexpensive projects. I think spa in this case is intended to convey a more upscaled space appointed with luxury touches. Some things to think about:

Most families use their shower more than a tub. We like to see a spacious tile shower (doesn't have to be huge but a comfortable size) with interesting accents/designs. If the budget will allow, we love to use natural stone. We put a seat in a shower if at all possible as we think they are a critical element - particularly as we age. A hand shower is a must - for daily use and for making cleaning the space much easier. Body sprays continue to be popular. Multiple shower heads are an option as well, if the shower size will allow for two heads, but we don't see them as much as having the hand shower function as the second shower head. We use the frameless glass doors, pictured above, as they provide a clean and simple look. As you look at your options, one of the things that gets overlooked is whether there is sufficient water pressure and hot water capacity to run all of the various functions simultaneously. If you don't have sufficient water flow (pressure), you would be greatly disappointed in the performance of the products. We put Rinnai units in most new master baths to address the hot water capacity issue.
0 Likes   June 28, 2012 at 12:44PM