Master Bath - Why would a builder do this?
cmmrealdeal
How do I fix this or disguise it without redoing it?
Amy Burke
This has been done so it is handicap accessible. There are several fairly easy options you have. First if you can identify the brand and color of the cabinetry you may be able to have a "cabinet front only" (most likely about 30" wide and verify height) made to fit and this way you can still use it for storage and have access. The panel can either be to the front or set back just a few inches shy of the front edge. Another is to put a curtain down there on a rod that can hide behind the false drawer front. This can also soften the look but not always the preferred solve. Easiest is to find a nice vanity seat that will have the full skirt to the floor and thus hide what you now see. Hope that helps you :)
9 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 12:11PM
Anne
If I am not mistaken, you want that pipe covered up. If so, why not get creative? I suggest you put a decorative curtain in front or maybe even string nice beads. Then that way, people will be focusing on the decoration not the pipe.
3 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 12:37PM
Aaron Eppolito
I bet it'd be easy to move the plumbing backwards with the trap rotated sideways. You might even be able to get it far back enough so that it's between the studs. If you can't get it all the way inside the wall, at least you could get it flush with the wall and add another wall piece in front.

Something like this? A handyman should be able to do something like that in no time.
8 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 3:19PM
Donna Talley
A laundry hamper would fit in there. A freestanding fireplace screen might also fit. Maybe a collection of wicker or leather storage cubes.
5 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 5:36PM
magsiemoo
We have a really nice chrome s/trap waste pipe & looks great with our all white. impossible to hide at our 1923 house so made a feature out of it. One's that go into the wall can be bought or the floor ones. I just put chrome s trap / waste pipe into Google & different ones came up. When at the plumbers, noticed both square & round.
3 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 5:39PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I would have a panel made or 2 doors and make it functional with shelves for storage.
5 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 8:29PM
TanCalGal
I have a pedestal sink in powder room with a similar builder's arrangement. In mine, all fixtures and plumbing stuff is gold. Maybe you could switch out the black pipes to oiled bronze (like your fixtures) and it would look pretty good. The look of my plumbing in gold doesn't bother me al all.
1 Like   June 29, 2012 at 9:06PM
Faireden
Builders are not designers! Have a false back built for the back of the cabinet with access in case you should ever need it.
4 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 12:08AM
ginger Mama
Have a bookcase type shelving unit made to fit the area, making sure it is easily removable for access. Have the space to the sides of the pipe made to the depth it takes to go all the way back to the wall so that you could roll towels (like a jelly roll) and store them. Have the middle ones just deep enough to meet up to the pipes and just use them for misc. items. In other words have three divisions in the shelves.
If you can't match the cabinet color, just use a flat or eggshell black.
Don't mean to be rude, but although the fabric idea would be inexpensive, I think it would look that way too. (cheap)
4 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 1:14AM
Annemarie
The easiest way would probably be to install a shelf or two, that you can use for small baskets or towels to hide the plumbing.
32 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 1:33AM
mrs1916
I like the shelf option. Another easy idea would be to install a towel bar in between and hang some towels from it.
3 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 5:42AM
Lynne Barton Bier - Home on the Range Interiors
I second the falst back idea. It will be far enough back that you won't be able to tell if the finish is an exact match. If you need additional storage the shelf idea could work nicely as well.
2 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 7:39AM
dkellogg1
Maybe paint the pipe the same color as the wall behind it. This will make it less noticeable.
3 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 9:08AM
zenhome
A simple and inexpensive solution,would be a laundry hamper as someone previously mentioned.
1 Like   June 30, 2012 at 9:10AM
pcmom1
A quick fix would be to sit a very full fern under sink, put it in an interesting container to match your style.
2 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 4:45PM
stacy1061
A seat would look odd. Unless you are handicapped, people don't sit down to brush their teeth. If it were me, I would have the cabinet maker make doors for it.
2 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 6:47PM
stacy1061
PS it almost looks as though the cabinet maker or the builder had this existing section of cabinetry originally made for a vanity, and for whatever reason did not end up using it. My guess is they panned it off on you and stuck a sink in it. It will bug you forever. Get them to fix it.
0 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 6:50PM
Some drain traps can be a design piece in itself.

8 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 6:55PM
alwaysdesigning
I would just modify the cabinet front by adding a tilt out laundry hamper or even double doors to store a wastebasket or cleaning supplies; or the easiest is to install a false cabinet "back" directly in front of the pipe the entire height and width of the opening, which would allow standing at the sink without bumping into it because it will be a recessed opening. I could see that being very attractive. good luck
2 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 9:52PM
momof5x
I think that is why most under-sink areas have doors. To hide the piping while at the same time making it easily accessible in time of emergencies to fix links. I don't think you want to put a lot of stuff under there anyway.

I would probably add a swing towel bar or to just put a towel bar across the two sides there ( learning from past experiences in homes I have rented with sink problems), it will be useful, not so much in a dark area and it will cover the piping. Another idea is to have a small mobile towel rail (on wheels) in that area.

Samples here :
0 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 10:15PM
gwmeadows
Get a appropriate sized wicker or rattan basket and cut the needed amount out of the back. Put it in there - flush against the wall and it will look like it's supposed to be there. Easy.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 4:09AM
festus
This is done for ADA requirements as per the first comment above. Do you own this home? Do you know of any reason it needs to remain handicap accessible? Typical cabinet doors could installed and keep it ADA compliant if the base is integrated into the doors. You can see this detail in a commercial office break room. The point is the keep the area clear for a wheelchair to roll under.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 5:16AM
cmmrealdeal
No need for handicap access. This is a private residence master bath on the second floor. I think that I will either have the pipe moved back so I can fit a hamper or have a false back put in with open shelves to put towels. Thanks for the great suggestions and photos this has helped a lot!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 5:49AM
hscavetta
I would put a solid stool that fits inside so you can't see the pipe.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 6:02AM
leneda
I use a fireplace screen in front of my pipe. My housemate is occasionally in need of a wheelchair and we can move the screen when needed. The screen is also a good cover to hide a few cleaning and paper supplies. Make sure you measure the height of the space underneath, Fireplace screens are often too high, but I found one that was short enough for our use. Ours is a panel screen that has flowers painted on it, it looks pretty nice, but I'm sure you can customize one to match your decor.
1 Like   July 1, 2012 at 6:17AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
I agree with you that the false back would be the fastest and most cost effective option.
The panel can also be painted the wall color to blend in, so you don't have to get into the expense of a custom stained panel. This panel can be attached with snap clips for easy removal to access the plumbing.

Hope your projects works out well!

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 6:22AM
brekke
I think that the simplest way to cover it would be to get a freestanding decorative fireplace cover.

I also second the idea for installing a simple shelf and then adding towels,etc to it to cover it up! Good luck!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 6:24AM
E M L
Well, I see two reasons for this, one is that it could be considered handicap accessible (maybe?) and the other is that it was supposed to be a vanity but the builder put a sink there. Bummer, for you. I see several possibilities. Think about the room and how it functions for you and others. If this is your guest bath, could you have a removable (for access) shelf built and store some pretty folded towels, etc. You could cover it with some pretty fabric and make a sink skirt. You could find a nice laundry basket to slip in. Maybe even get a door that fits it and have a tilt-out laundry hamper. Those diy kits are affordable and easy to install. The cabinet company name can usually be found inside the cabinets. You would have to order a door or two and install them. You might just as easily be able to find an entire cabinet to fit that space and have it installed in no time. It would slide right up under that counter. Your options are endless. Have fun!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 6:36AM
dakhalife
you can paint the wall in black it is the less expensive idea I can have . have fun
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 7:58AM
nchampagne
I vote false back.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 8:58AM
nchampagne
I vote false back.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 8:58AM
investigator114
People don't think about the trap till the sink is installed. Take your trap and fittings to the store (In A plastic bag) try to get the trap as closed tho the sink as posiible. I wouild use black pipe. A 90 elbow at the wall, run it up the wall, then one more 90 then to the trap. There ya go!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 9:07AM
kcovganka
Paint the darn pipes the same color as the wall. Re-purpose a sturdy oiled bronze curtain rod as a towel bar. Recess a few inches in, for fancy hand towel display and Voila! Can still be used by anyone handicapped and you could also put baskets or shelving behind them.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 9:08AM
Urbanata
It looks like the fix panel does not match the cabinet style, it should not be a big deal to order a "semi-custom" cabinet to fit under the sink. I would recommend to order the new cabinet 1 - 1 1/2" shallower and recessed it to avoid any color stain missmatch and add more interest. Most cabinet shops will be able to make that happen.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 9:35AM
denise1234
The reason: poor planning, the builder did not center the faucet valve in the wall within the area of the proposed vanity. This happened to my husband's vanity and it is supposed to be handicap accessible. We will have to do a remodel of this new bathroom as some point in time.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 10:13AM
thickskin
I agree with the suggestion of installing shelves and storing towels neatly folded under the sink.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 12:08PM
pruner
Make it a feature - here's another pic of a chrome waste - looks particularly great and modern with white (or cream for a softer look) cabinetry and lightens the space.... add some more luxe sparkle with bright chrome taps and chrome or glass door knobs (buy a few single options, see what suits). To try out an alternative colour scheme for the cabinetry, drape a sheet or attach coloured paper to cover a section and see if that works for you.

If painting the cabinetry seems 'extreme', just change the tapware, door knobs and add white/cream towels either side of this chrome pipe on a towel storage shelf as suggested. With the reduced pipework, the shelf could be full or half-width.
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 10:41PM
margaretk
My husband is handicap - so we have the same thing. We put a tension rod up and a small curtain. It looks really good and he still has the room to get his wheel chair
closer to the sink. One day in a wheel chair and you would be asking every contractor why they don't make everything wheel chair accessible. It only cost a few dollars more at the time of construction - but can cost thousands to go back and redo cabinets - or put in larger doors. Plus - a handicap accessible home is much easier to sell. We all know that if we are fortunate enough to live to old age - we will have to make some accommodations in our homes.
1 Like   July 1, 2012 at 10:51PM
ashmane
Have a faux wood column built with stain to match hiding the pipes and making it look more like a pedistal sink.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 7:26AM
zenhome
Please post a new photo when you've made the changes. Lots of suggestions and ideas were offered, and in my opinion any of them will look better than the pipe showing.

Can we close this topic now, lol! Getting too many notifications!
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 8:31AM
zenhome

0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 8:32AM
denise1234
I'm not sure if she's asking about the lack of a cabinet, the twisted way in which the drain/trap are installed or that the drain/trap are black PVC.

Installing a decorative drain/trap is not the answer as it will have to be installed in the same configuration. The key to this answer is that the drain hole should have been aligned with the sink hole so that the trap is a jog backwards and not to the side which results in a twist like in your picture. This is the problem I have with my husband's vanity, which is for handicap and it gets in the way of his knee when he rolls under it.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 10:26AM
cmmrealdeal
Hi folks, Just an update on the unsightly pipes. I found matching cabinetry and had it installed To fix the issue.
3 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 10:00AM
pcmom1
Looks wonderful!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 10:01AM
cmmrealdeal
Perfect match!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 10:03AM
builper.com
Nice.
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 10:05AM
Amy Burke
Great job!!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 11:30AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Great job, your persistence paid off. Well done!

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 11:33AM
Stanton Designs-online design services
Looks like the doors were always there!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 1:45PM
E M L
Fantastic! That does look so much better!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 7:18PM
Builders grade master bath would like to update but funds are limited
Thinking of starting with updating light fixtures and...
What would you do if this was your master bath?
Just bought a house and the master bath is dated with...
What would you do in this master bath?
We want to keep the floor tile & the cabinets, but...
I need help i want a zen garden and a fire pit
I Live in Concepcion south oh Chile, i like this app...
Farmhouse Living Room Paint Colors
I am looking for some advice for my new 279 year old...
kitchen update with 8' ceilings
we would like to update with 40" cabinets and have...
Need help designing/expanding a kitchen
Need help renovating my 11.5x13 kitchen on a budget....
Kat
MCM Fireplace Design Delima
Not sure what to do with our living room fireplace....