Need help with my kitchen
Nicole
I need help with my kitchen. Pantry is inside kitchen cupboard (1rst pic). Then I redid the plan to take away window above the sink. I am wondering if the work outlay is ok. (2nd pic), Also, am thinking of going european modern and am wondering what kind of cabinets would go with the pantry.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I like the first plan best! I like the island with the angle better than the second version which looks very small and has a small sink squeezed into it. I am concerned about the placement of the cooktop/range because it's right at the end of the run of cabinetry. If you prefer to remove the window from the kitchen, you need to create a focal point which would then be your cooktop/range/hood and it should be located in the long run of cabinets along the outside wall. The dishwasher should be beside the sink (is this why you added a small sink to the island, because the dishwasher is at the island too?).

Ok, turning my brain into knots trying to find a useful suggestion for improvement now! Maybe it's a simple as putting the dishwasher into the cabinet where the L shape meets the pantry door? Then shift the sink 12" down and shift the cooktop 12" down, leaving 12" for a small "landing strip" for pots coming off the stove and to create a definite protection zone around your appliance. Don't bother with a cabinet above this 12" counter space--let the decorative modern hood be the star on the wall. Apply your backsplash all the way up to the ceiling there, behind the hood and over your 12" counter. This leaves the island free to be a food prep zone with plenty of storage for everything you need underneath it. Do make it with drawers so you have easy access to all the storage.

I don't quite understand your concern with the cabinets "going with the pantry" since the pantry will be behind a closed door. I'd make the door with sand-blasted glass (that would obscure the contents of the room).
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:00AM
Chroma Design
Cynthia, excellent suggestion of etched glass door!!! So European modern!
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:17AM
Nicole
Thank you for your great ideas. Contractors don't always have kitchen planing ideas. About the pantry, that was my concern but your idea with the glass door seems to settle me. I am planing on black cabinets. The glass door would lighten up the room.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:20AM
Cynthia Gutzmer Pedersen - Licensed Architect
I like the first design with the larger, angled island. Can you put the range in either the island or on an angle in the corner (to the left of the window)?
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:23AM
michigammemom
I would swap the location of the range and dishwasher. The dishwasher should be in close proximity to the sink for rinsing and near your upper cabinets to put away clean dishes.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:35AM
Nicole
I totally agree with you.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:37AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes that seems like a good idea BUT putting the range in the island means venting challenges that could be complicated and expensive. That's why I think it should remain where it is, although shifted a little so there's counter surrounding it.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:37AM
Great advice from Cynthia, it would also help for us to see more of the floor plan and know how the kitchen is related to the rest of the home.

Not sure how you would access the pantry in option 2 (right photo), I prefer a long continuous run of counter space but would put the cooktop along that wall instead.. As far a style, not sure what the rest of your home is like, but a warm wood tone might be better choice than stark white cabinetry.

1 Like   July 2, 2012 at 6:38AM
Yes - I should have qualified that some areas require ranges to be vented. I live in an area where this is not required, and I am having my range in an island without any vent hood (you can get away with no vent hood providing you have a window close by). I designed my mother's kitchen 10 years ago with a range near a window with no vent hood and it has worked wonderfully.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:40AM
michigammemom
If you have a concern about venting the range, move it to the wall adjacent to the pantry for handy access to ingredients. Walking to the island with dripping dishes is inefficient at best.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:48AM
Nicole
It is possible to place the cooktop on the island but I would prefer it to be the star as Cinthia has suggested so that it will be the focus point? Here is the entire plan.
1 Like   July 2, 2012 at 7:09AM
HI -- From what I see the whole plan needs a rework. The kitchen and the bathrooms are wrong for the size of the house . For the square footage , you don't have room for a walk in pantry or walkin closets. And the guest bath shown should be for the master bedroom and a more modest guest bath would work better. And none of the plumbing lines up . The way it is shown on the plan make for a much more costly job . I will try to do a reworked plan for you.
1 Like   July 2, 2012 at 8:02AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
That was my thought exactly about the two bathrooms which should be switched. I am looking forward to seeing lefty47's ideas.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 8:04AM
Nicole
thank you!
1 Like   July 2, 2012 at 8:23AM
Great too see so many insightful comments on improving the floor plan. Here's a visual of a collaboration of ideas. I agree there's no space for walk-in pantry, but perhaps a deep pantry closet will be more functional with a reworked guest bath and master bath.

I am not completely happy with how the closet in the foyer cuts into Bedroom #2, at least the bedroom is a bit deeper than before.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 9:53AM
Dytecture - fabulous plan (the old plan is terrible)! What if the pantry were just a normal 2' deep closet accessed off the hallway to the bathroom? This would give space back to the master closet or to the master bath for a more elegant bathroom layout. Maybe the sink and the range can swap (so the sink can be under the window)?
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 10:00AM
Nicole
Good idea! The sink can be changed I like what you did with the walking closet and the plumbing is more in line.
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 10:17AM
HI -- nmarguis -- I am having trouble - can't get the picture big enough to see the numbers on the plan. Could you E-mail me a bigger copy of the plan ? Thanks -- jl.meeder@shaw.ca
0 Likes   July 2, 2012 at 6:24PM
HI -- I hope you like the plans -- all the sizes are approx because the plans don't show the width of one half of the floor plan. I pulled the kitchen wall back about a foot into the 2nd bedroom closet area ,so now there is 1 foot more to the length of the kitchen. The island is bigger with lots of storage and you still have 2 sinks . There is wiggle room in my plans , but I hope this gives you some ideas. If you have any questions , just ask . Lynda
0 Likes   July 4, 2012 at 9:21PM
1 Like   July 4, 2012 at 9:22PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Excellent job on the revised plan. I think it's a huge improvement over the original.
0 Likes   July 5, 2012 at 5:46AM
Nicole
Lynda, I really like it and appreciate the design of the island as well as the outlay of the appliances. Is that the dishwasher next to the corner? Now, for the bathroom, it seems to have more space. Love it. I already have a stand alone tub. Would that work well in there? What do you think?
0 Likes   July 5, 2012 at 6:59AM
Hi - Nicole -- Yes, I put the dishwasher on a wall because in the island it rumbles too much and it's closer to the main sink. For your master bath ,there is room for a free standing tub , that's why I have the glass shower. I hope I got the sizes fairly close , you will find out when the plans are drawn out in a proper working plan. One thing I hate is Lazy Susan corner cabinets , but that's the only thing that worked , but they have other ways of dealing with corners useing inserts now. I just added a couple of pictures to my Idea file that refer to your master bath . Anyway ,I hope I helped a bit. Lynda
0 Likes   July 5, 2012 at 8:36AM
Need help for my kitchen (my dad's kitchen)
So want to get a kitchen renovation.. What colour do...
Ab Cd
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
jamaneault
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
caesarmax
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
ken cornelius
Kitchen ideas
I am buying a house that will be my retirement home...
seazr
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Need help with en-suite for master bedroom!! Please
Right now, it a narrow walk-in path through the en-suite...
paawani
Need to change out 80's light fixture over island , need ideas!
we bought a home that has light fixtures and decor...
Debbie Comerford-Lalonde
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc