Dog Manners
Judy
July 3, 2012 in Other
My husband penned this 'dilemma' and I said why not ask the houzz community? The dog we mention here is about 6 years old, not a puppy. Thanks for your opinions.
we recently moved into a new home which we have decided to make shoe free: new hard floors, new furniture and living near the beach; when very good friends of ours who visit frequently came for the first time, their cocker spaniel immediately "pooped" twice on our new carpets. Everyone immediately sprang into action and cleaned the mess up with appropriate apologies. Thirty minutes later their pet began skooting on new carpets in another room. I have suggested to these very good friends that they might consider leaving their beloved pet home next time. We visit in each other homes regularly and we bring our dog with us.
Their dog has had this problem (in our house) in the past but not recently. I knew this would be a sensitive area but felt justified given the circumstances. We have no problem leaving our pet at home on any visit to their place if we place restrictions on their dog.
They immediately objected so we are trying to reassess the situation. Trying to watch their pet every moment when they are here is stressful to us
but not to them(him).
What do you suggest?
michigammemom
Since these are very dear friends accustomed to bringing their pet, purchase a dog gate
and corral the offending pooch in an area with hard floors. Orvis has sturdy, nice looking pet enclosures.
July 3, 2012 at 4:13am     
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
We have 3 Boston Terriers that are my wifes children.Our vacations are based on pet friendly accomadations. Our evenings out are based on how long we leave the pups at home. Every event is determined by the pups. About 90% of the time we take the pups in when we visit friends and always with family. They all know how much these dogs mean to my wife. Our home is always clean and no one wears shoes in our home. With all that said I would tell your friends to leave the dog outside. Your home is your sanctuary and a dog crapping on the floor is not good. Your friends need to realize that this is disrespectful and they can not control their pet. We control ours and we know who allows them and we respect their home. Good Luck!
July 3, 2012 at 4:23am   
Judy
Update: They're not talking to us now.
July 18, 2012 at 4:31am   
alysonjohnson
You probably need to find more mature friends.
July 29, 2012 at 8:41am   
I do have to say that if your friends do not have the grace to understand that bringing an inadequately housebroken dog to someone else's house is simply not acceptable, there may be insurmountable impediments to this friendship. We are fanatically attached to our two rambunctious dogs, but I wouldn't think of bringing them anywhere they might ruin someone else's property or be an annoyance of any kind.
July 29, 2012 at 9:09am     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I love my chocolate lab and he comes along many places with us. My kids think he is just another sibling. If my dog ever did that in someone's house, I would be horrified. I think I recall many years ago this happened with a puppy I had. I remember thinking," I'll never do that again". Quite odd that a human relationship would be sacrificed over bad dog manners. Not fair to the dog either because those behaviors can be improved with training. So sorry for the trouble you are having. I don't think it's you.
July 29, 2012 at 9:22am     
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Quite amazing that they don't talk to you any more ,odd that a human relationship would be sacrificed over Dog Training n Manners; and a India Philosopher said a few Centuries Ago ,LOVE is like a silk thread Joining two persons , once that thread breaks you cant join it and even if you Knot it the knot is always visible , One moves on in life , Good Riddance look for Mature Friends .
July 29, 2012 at 9:47am   
Judy
A month after 'the incident' we're still getting the silent treatment. Although I feel kind of bad to lose this relationship, I don't feel like groveling to mend it, then to only resent their manipulating tactics (the knot as Vikrant,above, refers to). So many dymanics involved, better just to move on I guess.
July 29, 2012 at 10:10am   
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Can he come over?
July 29, 2012 at 2:36pm     
BeautifulRemodel.com
Such a shame that your "friends" reacted that way. I love my chocolate and black labs so much, but they wouldn't be going back if they ever did anything like that! And I'd pay for carpet cleaning too, so my friends knew the area was really clean.

Over the years I've noticed that "when the p**p hits the fan", (no pun intended!) is when you find out a person's true colours. And now you know theirs, unfortunately.
July 29, 2012 at 3:34pm   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Are we all posting pics of the well behaved dogs?

I told Mousse about your "friends" dog, he was appalled! Trying to keep it light Judy, I hope you will be laughing about this soon. Stand your ground.
Charmean (and Mousse, 3 years old and potty trained)
July 29, 2012 at 4:47pm     
Despite the fact that I'm a cat lover, I loved seeing the dog pix and hearing about Judy's insensitive, abusive neighbors.
July 29, 2012 at 5:18pm   
Judy
This is my Simon. He would humuliate himself if he ever had an accident in the house. However, if he was sick all would be forgiven, of course. Mousse looks regal!
July 29, 2012 at 5:55pm     
Edwardo
Maybe the dog whisper needs to pay a visit to your friend's house
July 30, 2012 at 3:16am   
selawela
My dog is "perfect" hehehehehehe...but I don't bring him over to friends house unless he was invited. You are in your new home with new rules...they need to accept that and yes, like Charmean wrote up above, stand your ground. Oh, and that's my "perfect" dog in my profile picture! ;) Love the doggie pictures! They make me smile!
July 30, 2012 at 12:42pm   
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Help designing a small lounge room please!
Hi there I'd love any advice or ideas you might have...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
how to combine asian,modern,industrial and cottage successfully
I have a black chinoiserie dining cabinet, old oak...