Is it okay to combine a creamy travertine floor with a white subway tile on the wall in a bathroom?
razzleme
The room is 7' by 11' and will have a shower on one end. I'd like to do the white subway tile on the wall if you think that would be fine. But the ceiling is only 7'8" high. How high should the tile go on the wall? what would you do?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Put the tile right up to the ceiling, and even tile the ceiling area of the shower if you like. I think you can get away with having the cream floor and the white tile if you add lots more white, such as towels. Are your sink and toilet white too? If you have not already got your cream travertine flooring, then I would suggest you find something else that has white in it.
July 4, 2012 at 6:26pm   
razzleme
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. I'm going to keep the shower all stone (travertine) along with the rest of the flooring but was wondering about outside the shower on the walls. The sink and toilet will be white. Is it okay to have white subway tile go up to chair rail height, or would it be better to use the same travertine on the walls. The height of the whole room is 7'8"
July 5, 2012 at 4:38am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I wouldn't mix the two materials like that. Either use subway tile throughout the room (on the walls) or not at all. I still am not clear on whether you've already got travertine floors and shower or if you are in the planning stages. If you clarify that, then I will be back on the computer later today and can put some thoughts together!
July 5, 2012 at 5:00am   
razzleme
Yes, just in the planning stage. I'm trying to help my parents renovate a room to make a bathroom ADA. Another thought is a porcelain faux wood on the floor, and travertine on the walls. The shower area would also have the travertine on the walls with a cream basket weave design on the floor. Could I use a biscuit color subway tile for the chair rail (with the travertine floor) if you don't like the white? Thank you.
July 5, 2012 at 5:35am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I love the porcelain faux wood for the floor. I was just looking at some yesterday. It's a very interesting look. I would prefer to see you keep the look crisper with that floor, so use the subway tile in the shower (white, to go with your fixtures) and a white mosaic on the shower floor. You could incorporate a narrow design strip about shoulder height around the shower and pick up the colour of the floor in it.

As for combining travertine and biscuit coloured subway tile, I would still not do that. It wasn't so much the colour that bothered me as the fact that you would be combining two different materials in similar proportions. If you were to sketch out the wall layouts with the two materials, I think you'll see what I mean.

Travertine is a beautiful material that demands attention. If you have it on the floor and shower walls, then you are making a statement with it. If you need to extend a wall surface into the rest of the room, as it seems you would like to do, I would recommend continuing the travertine for even more of a statement. Hope this helps.
July 5, 2012 at 5:43am   
razzleme
Thank you, you have been a great help. With all the options out there I get overwhelmed!
July 5, 2012 at 5:53am   
Hi razzleme, I agree with Cynthia and use the same material for floor and wall. You can consider a travertine subway tile as well to match the flooring, but using white subway wall tiles with travertine floor has been done in the past for a more traditional feel.

Zuniga Interiors

Master Bath
July 5, 2012 at 6:07am     
graciel57
I would not do subway tile with the travertine if it's just going to be straight subwway tile. You might consider doing the walls of the shower area in travertine, the shower floor in mosaic, and the floor in the rest of the bathroom in mosaic, with travertine walls in the rest of the bathroom as well. And I would tie the two materials together with insets of travertine in both of the floors, either rosettes or stripes, or whatever pattern you like. You can personalize the living daylights out of it, always a good thing.

The mosaic floor is nice because it's a lot harder to slip on. That's important in a bathroom, and especially in a home where older people live.

Good luck with it!
July 5, 2012 at 6:18am     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi razzleme. The porcelain is a great looking product, but a bit more smooth than the travertine. If you are trying to help aging parents, I would suggest staying with the travertine. The chiseled edge travertine in particular has better tread potential. I like David's idea of the travertine tiles for the bathroom and shower walls. I would however suggest a 4x4 for the tile size. This is an easier size to work with for the shower ceiling. Create a border around the perimeter of the shower ceiling with one row of 4x4, then inside that border turn the 4x4's on the diagonal. This will create a nice maintenance friendly ceiling for your parents. On the shower floor, I would suggest some sort of a mosaic patttern of basket weave or whatever you prefer. The mosaic will provide many grout lines making the floor less slippery. On the wainscoting for the bathroom, I like about 45" high. The 4x4 will work fine here too with a nice chair rail piece. There is a tile supplier called AKDO that has travertine product, usually in stock. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart http://www.akdo.com/products_detail_tiles.asp?pname=Noce&catid=202&mcatid=9&collid=
July 5, 2012 at 6:32am     
what type of mirror for this bathroom-framed or frameless and size
This is a small jack and jill bath that is very modern-grey...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
Can these tiles be fixed?
We have no tile repair shop nearby. How can we repair...