Need help with fireplace wall
sandywitte
I have one wall of my family room that is about 3/4 brick (tan, adobe color) fireplace with raised hearth that extends to far wall and then the brick was used on the wall above the hearth to the tall ceiling. I want to do something different - hubby says NO PAINTING BRICK. Thinking of mantle which extends to far wall with entertainment center and book cases below it. Any thoughts? ideas? See picture. Thanks for any and all help.
Susan Mills Design
I would remove everything from that wall, then have a mantle placed just over the FP vents running straight across over the tv and then build some shelves on the right side under that mantle. This would make it more interesting and have the visual weight it needs. If you want to put your clock back on the wall it can go same place but above the mantle. I would only do that, all other brick a brack should be in the shelving under the mantle to the right. Edit, edit, edit though, clean up all clutter and small things. Only put there what feels important enough.I would also suggest the mantle be a dark wood to give some contrast. No more items on those protruding bricks.

Susan Mills
July 5, 2012 at 6:15PM     
Jessica Pea
A different fireplace screen could make a big impact. The items on the brick outcrops don't have enough visual weight - I suggest replacing them with larger/chunkier or more colorful items, leaving the shelves bare, or putting up small framed photos in chunky frames. Some black and white high-contrast art could brighten up the wall.
Raising the clock might open up the room more. You may want to consider furniture that isn't the same color as the brick (slip covers?).

If it's possible to move the TV and small shelf that's on the right, that ledge could hold a cushion along the length (but not too close to the fire of course) and a few pillows in the corner to make a great sitting place. Some bright colors there would make the whole wall a statement piece.
July 5, 2012 at 6:44PM     
yvonnecmartin
I agree with the suggestions so far, but would add a plea for more color. Personally, I would choose turquoise or green for perhaps throws for the couches and cushions to the left of the fireplace and perhaps to the right of the tv. Also consider an area rug to further break up the beige.
July 5, 2012 at 10:13PM     
karen paul interiors
Remove everything from the fireplace wall...EVERYTHING. Find a single piece of art that is vertical, large and very colorful. Make certain it is a very good piece of art.
July 5, 2012 at 10:26PM     
betsyweisberg

He didn't say don't tile the brick!!
July 6, 2012 at 2:24PM     
HI -- This is a mid- century style brick fireplace and it was not meant to have a lot of stuff on it . This is what I would do . Clear the whole thing off - everything ! -as Karen said. Get someone in to chip the brick off that stick out . Now cover that brick area from the line under the beam and to the right with some beautiful walnut or something with interesting grain, in a darker stain. Then only put limited display just on the wood side like a big painting with the TV under and your clock . On the fireplace face, only have a metal sculpture or something interesting like maybe three same items on the vertical down the left side or leave bare. Invest in a new fire screen or paint the brass with some heat paint. You could tile the hearth , or get a full piece of glossy black granite cut to size. Lots of ideas on Houzz for mid century or modern fireplaces . For your husband -- what is the problem in painting brick ? I wouldn't paint yours ,but just asking !
July 6, 2012 at 3:54PM     
katkatkat3
I like the wall and angled ceiling as well as the brick. Need to tone down the brick though, just too much on one wall. I would spraypaint the gold fireplace black (I have done this 2 times and works and looks great). Put a mantle over the fireplace and above the vents and put a tall oil painting leaning on wall and sitting on mantle. Now on the right side I would hang the tv on the wall (to cover some brick) and see how that looks. You may need to add something else but not much -declutter. Also maybe some nice throw pillows on right side away from fireplace (already suggested above). If you can't change furniture (as it blends too much with wall) try adding some nice throw cushions and maybe a blanket throw on back of couch. Also get rid of the bump outs of brick. You have a lot of potential for this wall and can make it look very unique. Good Luck!
July 6, 2012 at 4:38PM     
karen paul interiors
Lefty, could you just reiterate what you just said? I'm having a "blonde" moment. Could you speak to a 5 year old for understanding. Thanks!
July 6, 2012 at 6:08PM   
stonecoat
One Word - STONECOAT ! Stonecoat is an all natural limestone covering that turn that brick fireplace into any style of beautiful Stone. It is "blown" onto the brick directly and can carved into any style or pattern. It is a real answer for a total fireplace transformation. The process for a fireplace like this would be only one day! It would be a totally updated and beautiful (real ) stone fireplace. www.StoneCoat.com
July 6, 2012 at 6:43PM   
Dar Eckert
A black granite hearth would be nice as lefty47 mentioned. I think some black floating shelves the length of the right side of the fireplace would be nice but don't think a mantel is necessary. I might think of adding black vertical posts on both sides of the fireplace.
July 6, 2012 at 7:00PM   
magarita
hi sandy..this is my attachment for you ( wallpaper and artificial mini flower pots). have a look, friend. friend, replace wall clock with wall mount TV. is it okay for you?
July 6, 2012 at 7:37PM     
Tom Borsellino
A big chunky mantle that crosses the entire wall plus a mesh hanging fireplace screen instead of the 1980's gold one.

July 6, 2012 at 8:24PM     
HI - Karen -- Sorry if you misunderstood -- I was just agreeing with you saying to clear "everything " off the fireplace. That's why I said it too.
July 6, 2012 at 8:31PM   
Hi sandywitte, if you are not 'allowed' to paint over the brick, I'd suggest some bookshelves that wraps around the TV, which is relatively easy to remove if required for selling the home.
July 6, 2012 at 8:48PM     
karen paul interiors
Lefty, I got that part. I am referring to the rest of your suggestion. Perhaps I'm the only one who is not getting what you were suggesting (all of it!). Humor me, please. :)
July 6, 2012 at 9:07PM   
Dave Geiger
what I would do tile over the brick,they make thinset for that maipai is the best.tile the fireplace to the celling and the hearth.Where u have the book shelves i would take out a course of brick or two.and then mount the tv.replace the firegrate and put up a new mantel
July 6, 2012 at 9:45PM   
L Cole
Have stone veneer in a ledge stone pattern applied right over the existing brick. It would update your room and give it a modern look. Also adding book shelves to the right far side with a mantle connecting the shelves to the extending wall above the fireplace would balance everything.
July 6, 2012 at 9:57PM     
joffler
Looking at your photo, it strikes me that the right side is screaming to breathe. It's suffocated by the shelving unit and it's contents. I would try to leave that corner as bare as possible, using maybe one item as thoughtfully as possible if you feel it has to be utilized in some manner. Generally, everything you have on that wall is the wrong scale. The TV may be a approaching a reasonalbe scale for the wall, but as you can see in your photo, it greatly diminishes the fireplace itself so it (the fireplace) needs to be addressed and I think black heat paint is a good idea, as a couple people suggested. But then it and the TV will have a lot of contrast to the brick and that contrast will be anchored at the bottom portion of the wall. You need to bring some contrast up top. The clock idea is good but this one is slightly off scale and doesn't contrast enough. Consider looking around for a big, starburst/sunburst style clock. In my opinion, it's ok to leave the random brick ledges empty, but if you choose to use them for display, I would avoid small items or sets of small items and avoid displaying on all of them. Leave some bare. Again, go bold. For example, look around outside. If you come across any interesting twisted branches, strip them, dry them and paint them black and display them on the shelves. Let their organic shapes contrast with the geometry of the brick patterns.
I will say, a couple of your furniture pieces are a very good scale for this wall, but they're basically the same color as the floor and the brick wall. The red chair is completely off scale. Could it be used somewhere else?

Also, consider this. Maybe it's not the brick wall that needs attention. Would you be interested in painting the walls some nice color instead of leaving them white? I've lived in a house like this and I know it will require painting most, if not all the walls, but the results will be well worth the hard work and could transform the brick wall considerably requiring you only to declutter (and paint the brass firebox).
July 7, 2012 at 2:22AM   
cyberbanite
Why does husband object to painted brick? Show him color photos of before-and-after brick paint jobs. May I suggest taking down the clock and all the bric-a- brac, carefully chip out the brick bump outs, and ask husband if okay to paint the brick on the right of the fireplace to match the other walls. Leave the fireplace unpainted floor to ceiling to create a vertical line. Install a mantel over the hearth. Display a large mirror or large piece of art or hang the TV (with hidden wires) over the hearth.
July 7, 2012 at 6:04AM   
HI -- Sorry ,I was not clear . There is a line of brick that goes down from the ceiling beam . So from that line of brick ,I was saying to cover from that point on, to the right with a sheet of wood. After all the brick overhangs are chiped off. Is that what you mean ?
July 7, 2012 at 6:46AM   
cyberbanite
Yes, after the brick is chipped off, and shorten the extra-long hearth for a vertical-only fireplace focal point, you can cover the brick on the right with wood by boxing it, or cover the brick with studs and drywall maybe? If you do built-ins, don't have open shelving which will compete visually with the fireplace. Use closed cabinet doors painted the same as the surrounding walls and minimal hardware. Be sure any installed wood is to code so it is not a fire hazard.
July 7, 2012 at 7:42AM   
joymack
I agree with removing everything from the FP. It definitely needs color/contrast. I would mount the TV on the wall. It is like having a large piece of hanging Artwork. Make sure you have a licensed person do this for proper HD wiring, etc. and hidden cables. The idea for cushions is another great way to make it cozy and colorful.
July 7, 2012 at 7:49AM   
cyberbanite
I agree with having the TV professionally mounted over the FP or on the wall. There are lots of new audiovisual technology companies out there nowadays. If the TV is mounted on the wall, you can frame it like art or box it with a cabinet painted or stained the same color as the brick. Or not cover it. I like if the entire hearth stays, to top it with one long cushion and prop/scatter some comfy pillows on it.
July 7, 2012 at 8:14AM   
karen paul interiors
Lefty, thanks for your patience and the additional explanation. Geez, I sometimes don't know where I go when I'm lookin' at a photo....fiddlin' while Rome burns, I think. :) Now I'll go back and read what you suggested as well as the other posts! Thanks again.
July 7, 2012 at 9:10AM   
Jessica Roloson
Be careful if mounting a TV above a fireplace with the height that would put the TV is that comfortable from your seating arrangement.

I agree with the De Cluttering but this is also a house that looks lived in and used not a magazine staged home. Storage is key in a lived in home a place for everything makes it look less cluttered.

Agree that a Large Mantle (something wood and rich like a nice mahogany or Oak)is in order and storage for the stuff you use in that room.

Where you seem to have some display of cameras there could be filtered and displayed on the mantel

Put in some low storage again in a mahogany or oak to pull some warmth from the brick

Painting out the brassy fireplace in to a black or dark grey ( heat retardant paint available at many paint retailers)

I have attached an image excuse the quality I only have access to paint where I am but hopefully it helps you out.
July 7, 2012 at 9:29AM     
Shannon Farmer
I agree with the posts so far...really just need to bring in some color and declutter a bit. Repainting the firebox and adding a nice surround would make it stand out. A nice hefty mantle like the last poster suggested would look great and take out the brick popouts totally. The tv above the fireplace could possibly be too high, so a nice mirror or art piece would be great too...then just add in some floating shelves to the right to complement the mantle and add the tv in over there. I would eliminate the bookshelf to the far right and bring in a nice colorful area rug to break up all the tan/beige tones, as well as some colorful pillows and throws for the furniture. A new paint job on the walls would really bring it all together. Good luck, am sure it will come out looking fantastic!
July 7, 2012 at 9:52AM   
lauraco
Here's what we did with our wall of stone but I love the ideas being posted.
July 7, 2012 at 11:04AM   
karen paul interiors
So many great ideas here. I like having cabinetry built in rather than open shelving, as this is a family who needs storage. I like the idea of using the wire mesh screen (from the 70's) or something that disappears, or repainting what she has now. I don't like taking away the little bit of architectural detail that exists (the jut outs). I don't like the idea of a mantle, or dividing up the wall into other materials, or placing a cushion on the hearth (children move them to the floor), or placing the TV over the fireplace (too high up and uncomfortable for the neck).

I'm noticing the positioning of the TV, which visually encroaches on the left, but I also realize it is there so it can be viewed from both sofas. The best place for the TV is farther down to the right, in the middle of the asymmetrical jut outs. That said, there would then be a need to reconfigure the seating so as to have TV watching comfortable for everyone. We don't have a full view of the room, and so we don't know if there are other options for placement of seating.

In order for a monochromatic look to be successful, there needs to be contrast. If you were to employ dark brown, mochas, camel, gray, black and a little accent color in the rug, that would keep everything in essentially the same family of color, but would create some quiet energy. You don't even have to have other colors as long as you run the range of what already exists in your upholstery.

If you want to move from the monochromatic scheme into more color, then again, you can use your deeper colors in your rug and chose something bright (possibly red, as I see a child's chair in red) in your accents. If so, the large, vertical piece of art I had suggested for your fireplace could have a good deal of red in it, along with whatever other colors you like with the tans, browns, black, gray, etc. Pillows and throws are another way to bring in texture and color, though again, with children, pillows and throws end up on the floor. That is why I would focus on bringing up my color and contrasts through the art and rug.

I would suggest the first step is to find your rug and piece of art, put them in place, and see what else you feel your room needs. This will tell you whether you want to paint your built-ins in white, or have them done in a contrasting wood.

If you decide to do the white cabinets, then you can entertain the idea of color on your walls, using the color palate you have created, or you might decide the white walls should remain. Deciding on paint color has everything to do with balance in the room, and the quantity and quality of both natural and ambient lighting.

I'm of the opinion your fireplace wall will look pretty happy with a minimalist approach, if in fact, you do distribute color throughout the room in the areas I have suggested.

I have suggested painting last, because this is where you have the most flexibility. Staying within a budget requires you to shop for those items (rug and art) first so you can stay within a price point without having to deal with the existing color of your sofas and the walls, all at the same time. Whatever is readily available will always be the most cost-effective way to go.

I wish you good luck with your redecorating. You have had some great tips and lots to think about, so it's always a matter of letting everything jell and having conversations with your husband. Eventually, you will arrive at a well-thought out solution. Just don't be in a rush. Take your time. Try things out first and take them back if it isn't working. Each time you think something will work and it doesn't, step back and try to understand why it isn't working. It's all part of the discovery process.
July 7, 2012 at 11:14AM   
COConsultants
Hi, Wow this must have been a dull holiday, lots of attention on this one!
So my two cents are
I have to say the room looks like as you purchased items they entered. And, now we have clutter. It may not be the brick wall, but the surrounding area.

I would get the TV installed on the wall properly before anything else. This will also include adding some shelving to hold the TV components, books, photos and other treasures. Make it look as minimal yet clean as possible. This could be a dark ebony wood.
The furniture is hard to see, but it looks like this might need updating with a nice leather sectional and coffee table. An arrangement to watch television and entertain or two sofas facing one another with a table in the center.

The right side of the wall has a dark ebony shelving unit, perhaps new seating and we need to discuss the'fireplace unit.

I would love the brick to stay, surround the bottom of the fireplace with black marble
and put a thick piece of stone across the top of the fireplace, black marble.

I would paint the room a color something to brighten up the brick, perhaps corriander, with the ceiling the same color cut 50% with white.

The floor, I would take up the carpet and lay down a mahogany color, or a little darker.

The sofas, I would do in a camel color and a glass coffee table.

I believe the funds you spend to change the brick you could change the entire room.
This is a great room, but it has no storage area, the TV is sitting in the room ad hoc and the right is clutter. If you focus on the entire room I think it would be lovely.

I wrote this because your original request aside from the brick was to have the TV center taken care of and that changes the room, for a whole new room.'I'hope this alternate scheme is helpful.
Oh PS behind the TV center, I would do a grass cloth beige wall paper, and then the corriander walls.

Your original statement was a request for
If there is enough room, I would build a small wet bar unit in the corner and wrap it over to the wall next to the brick.
You have an entertainment center which your husband asked for a new wet bar. And, now for the fireplace.
July 7, 2012 at 12:05PM   
slgibbs
How about have a local stainless fabricator create a 3 sided box that is either stainless or iron that has been aged somehow. The box would function as the mantle that wraps around the corner and extends well to the right of the actual fireplace, much like the great image proposed by Jessica Roloson. I think it would be best to have the mantle keep the same plane all the way across, which would mean that it would be deeper to the right of the firebox.

Additionally, moving the tv off the fireplace will give it the presence I think you are looking for . A couple of stainless or metal sconces that provide indirect lighting along with a couple of well-chosen MCM art glass w be a great accent.

You have gotten some great suggestions, this is a great medium! Good luck to you and your family as you create beauty in your home!
July 7, 2012 at 12:13PM   
karen paul interiors
Love the idea of corriander.
July 7, 2012 at 12:14PM   
slgibbs
I should add that the dimensions of the mantle should give a substantial look--for example 8" tall and 12" deep over the fire place. Replace the brass and glass fire grill and replace with a black metal mesh--OR-- a great free standing glass and stainless fire shield. Mount the mantle on posts inserted into the mortar and then fill the mantle box with non-flammable spray-in expanding insulation. I am guessing you would want to have pipe in corresponding spots to the posts in the brick.

Or--you could just have a professional do it for you and they can worry about making it level!
July 7, 2012 at 12:22PM   
Susan Mills Design
Along with my first solution to your fireplace challenge, here is a picture of something along the same lines but a bit different. I also think this one would work well for your particular needs. I would box the fireplace as it projects and do the wood storage to the left. I would then incorporate these shelves to the right but make the box one big enough to hold the tv. This would look very appropriate to the room and the fireplace style, keep the tv at a better height for viewing and give you some places to add your family heirlooms and keepsakes. Just not too many! I would not do a back to the shelving, keep the brick behind it, just make sure the wood is a nice dark one to add the necessary contrast.

Susan Mills
July 7, 2012 at 7:52PM     
bush8364
We had the same type of brick on our wall with fireplace, 20 feet of it! We took down the brick from both ends of the wall but left it just around the fireplace. We covered the brick that was left with manufactured field stone to give it a very nice look. Also built in floor to ceiling bookshelves on either side of the new stone fireplace.
July 8, 2012 at 4:30AM   
thepotter
First and foremost, Electronics do not like heat, those are vents above the fireplace, whether you mount to the wall or a mantle place to the side of the fireplace. The wall does need some color, remove the clutter from the corner and place a large plant of some kind in corner, give it some life! It's you choice if it is real or not. Remove the clock from the brick and place on a painted wall to bring out the clock, nice clock! Suggest a metal wall hanging above the fireplace, modern, seascape, etc. Color and Focal point.
You could add large wooden shelves to the extended bricks to give you larger area and also add balance to the wall, find a saw mill and get 2x8's or 3x8's use for shelves or verticals, leave rough or plane, stain and finish. Yes it is unseasoned wood but will dry out quickly inside and your are only using for shelves or accent.
July 8, 2012 at 6:10AM   
charliebeth
I agree with the posters who said remove EVERYTHING from that wall. Too many small tchotkes that just look too busy and don't have enough impact on that wall. You need some large art on that wall. Maybe one really great piece or a grouping that creates a large piece. Lose the bookcase in the corner. Mount the TV on the wall? Paint the room, change up your furniture if you can, or get custom slipcovers made? Everything is too tan and monotone. I'm not even a huge fan of color but this room needs something to wake it up. Too bad your hubby won't let you paint the brick, but I get it. A large chunky mantle would be best with no fussy detail I like the picture that Tom posted above. The brass fireplace surround is very dated. I don't agree that painting it would work due to the heat. They are not that expensive to replace, so I'd go with a brushed nickel or black.
July 8, 2012 at 7:02AM   
4mrsb
Sandy - I would recommend DRYWALLING directly over ALL the brick EXCEPT for the large rectangular, protruding brick that covers the actual chimney area (in other words, the brick area from the fireplace up, that is set out from the rest, leave that as is). You don't have to remove the other brick, you just drywall over it - it's quite easy. You will have to remove the brick pieces that currently stick out on the right of your photo, that serve as small shelves. So it's level with the rest of the brick before drywalling. Ater drywalling, the main fireplace area that sticks out will really stand out and not be lost in all that brick work. I would leave all the brick that currently exists below the fireplace that serves as seating/hearth (from left to right, all the way to the wall). However, I would "cap" the top of it with either large 18" x 18" stone tile - placed very close together to minimize the grout lines (you want it to look like a cement/stone cap) or actually use wall capping so it has a finished edge that faces along the edge, defining that protruding area as seating or a shelf. I would remove the clock and all the other items. I would take the TV of the ledge/searing area and mount it on the wall, in the middle of what is now the "drywalled" area, at the appropriate height for viewing. I would remove the brass fireplace screen or at the very least repaint the brass/gold color with special "heat resistant" paint. Perhaps you could replace it with an aged looking metal. I would then leave either the remaining fireplace brick blank, with no clock or art, etc - let the brick pop out and shine on its own.....OR I would find a large amazing piece of art or bold picture (rectangular, hung lengthwise not horizontal) to hang on the brick fireplace. I would also select either 3 tall vases or bold metal candle sticks to place on the capped/tiled seating area. Pick varying heights. Place close and to the side of the fireplace opening - 2 on one side, 1 on the other. OR just (1) tall, large vase would work as well, if it has enough height and bulk. That will also draw attention to the fireplace. By doing this (drywalling the rest of the brick) the fireplace will really stand out and be a beautiful focal point in your living or family room.
July 8, 2012 at 8:49AM     
nandiol
The potential of what you can do is limited only by a budget. It would help to know your preference on design style. The brick can be left alone (no tiling, stoning, painting...) and a large wooden beam (real or faux) can be hung free floating as a mantel. It can even wrap around extending all the way to the wall. You can be creative with it and have it drop down closer to the brick ledge to be utilized as a shelf for the TV and or cable box & DVD player. The TV can be hung directly on the brick wall (if you remove the bricks that protrude out). You can also use free floating shelving (dark wood) to add interest and hold candles in glass containers for added ambience. Remove the brass from around the fireplace and add a plain screen or glass door. I left mine open without a door or screen ( no small children at my home). Put a large piece of colorful artwork on fireplace above mantel & vents. I liked the idea someone had about adding cushions on the ledge for additional seating. It would also add color and interest. Keep the area clean and crisp. If you do not have another area to hold DVD's etc., then use the corner space by the wall to add dark wood free floating shelves to store them. Keep it simple.
It would help if you could paint your walls and ceiling. the color palette in this room is bare. It looks like you have a beam on the ceiling painted white. If that's what it is, It would look good to wrap it in wood (real or faux). This would help add dimension and interest too. Adding a colorful rug would help compliment the room.
This is just one idea. As stated earlier, depending on your style and budget the possibilities are endless. I liked the idea someone had about tilling the brick and/or adding walnut or a dark stained wood with grain interest.
Another idea is to add a large hunk of wood as the mantel and remove the gold fireplace surround. As for the rest of the brick wall, sheetrock over it. You can rest your TV on the ledge and build an entertainment center off of that (whether you prefer open or closed shelving). It can be customized to how your family lives and your needs.

Good Lick. I'd live to see what you ended up doing.
July 8, 2012 at 10:43AM   
Dylan Chappell Architects
HI Sandy,

Here are six quick sketches of some different options. I hope they help. If you have any questions or want to see another option just let me know. 1 of 2

Dylan Chappell, Architect
550 Maple St. Unit A
Carpinteria, CA 93013
dylan@dylanchappell.com
dylanchappell.com
July 8, 2012 at 9:01PM     
Dylan Chappell Architects
HI Sandy,

Here are the last two sketches. 2 of 2

Dylan Chappell, Architect
550 Maple St. Unit A
Carpinteria, CA 93013
dylan@dylanchappell.com
dylanchappell.com
July 8, 2012 at 9:04PM   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Great sketches Dylan. I would just suggest you gather some pictures of painted brick from Houzz to show hubby. Painted brick looks great. The current color of your brick is dating the room. You can add all these great details to the wall and de-clutter, but the brick will still be a pink/tan color. Betsy had a great idea to tile over it, I like that idea. What exactly is the reservation about painting the brick? Maybe we can start there.
July 8, 2012 at 9:14PM     
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
Add a tile mural. Amazing focal point. Any image can be transferred onto the tile.
http://www.AliciaTappDesigns.com
July 8, 2012 at 10:03PM   
laketa
If you want a change without breaking the bank on this one the first thing to make a big impact is yes, clear everything off but go buy a small jar of the heat resistant paint and a small paintbrush. Tape off the brick and start. I did mine and it needed a good three coats but the transformation was amazing. I didn't need to take out the insert. I do think a nice long mantle would look nice in a dark contrasting color and if the ceiling beam was painted the same it would tie it together. You don't need new furniture but a rug and pillows to add a pop of color or fun. Edit back the Knicks knacks and leave them off those brick jut outs. Slide the TV over to center between fireplace and wall. It looks low but if it's too high if you mount it maybe have whoever does the mantle build a small box base to life it up and if it had a drawer you could store some remotes/games in it. Look at magazines at mantle ideas to filter your style or add a collection to the mantle. Some will showcase 3 to 5 items. Be sure it's an odd number. If you want to edit some of the pop outs you could look for a large picture or architectural feature to lean against the wall on the mantle. Kirkland's has a large selection of mirrors, artwork and metalwork that is affordable. TJ Maxx and Target has accessories or you may have things on hand to use. Pottery looks nice too. Hope you can make an affordable change. If you plan to do a complete renovation of the area call a professional!
July 9, 2012 at 7:18AM   
Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
This one is more difficult than most.....will get some before/after photos to you later for inspiration. As everyone has commented....it is too busy. Take the bookshelf off and all the little knickknacks. Take the brass doors outside, rough up the finish and spray paint black with the heat resistant paint. Seems that your furnishings are not contemporary but most of the ideas submitted are contemporary. That seems easiest with this wall but I don't believe that is your 1st choice.
July 9, 2012 at 1:52PM   
Dar Eckert
First just take everything off the shelves & walls and reassess the fire place. Try just candles on the shelves. See if you can find another location for the tv. Just put a cushion or pillows on the hearth. It could make a great spot for reading.
July 10, 2012 at 8:03AM   
Defined Design
Verticality is what maked this so special. I would not add a mantle, just one very large, tall painting above vents. Hearth seems very wide, so I would look for long, low ready made media cabinet (Ikea has some nice ones) and place on or two side by side on hearth with TV on top of that (do not use any legs that come with these cabinets - that will make them look more built in.) TV's over fireplaces are a slippery slope! Most are too high for comfortable viewing in smaller rooms - like being in the front row at the movies! Keep these to the side of the vertical row of bricks that comes down from the ceiling beam. This would add storage and highlight the vertical center even further. Have accent bricks chipped smooth, or leave them empty - too small & ditsay for display. This would create storage that would be out of site. Remove flowered valances and just use drapery panels for height and simple style. Place sofa parallel to f.p. and remove red chair. Paint all walls AND ceiling a warm tan to soften brick effect (Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige HC-45 comes to mind) - just find a tan that plays well with brick and grout - be careful not to use a tan with too much pink undertone. Also changes out lamp location or style - shade distracts from f.p. wall. Maybe a pharmacy style floor lamp that has a low profile. With some tweaking, this room will look great and fireplace will be the envy of others..................
August 11, 2012 at 6:29AM   
Committed Photography, Inc.
Here are a couple of art pieces that will give your wall a good splash of colour. They can be printed in a range of sizes, framed or not. Let us know if we can better meet your preferred style. Enjoy!
http://bit.ly/Simply_Beauty-Douglas_Ritchie
http://bit.ly/Erupt-Jeremy_Cram
September 4, 2012 at 5:00AM     
Groovywares.com
Since you are keeping the mid-century look add a vintage 60's metal sculpture - a large one. Lots of vintage handmade metal sculptures can be found at groovywares.com
July 11, 2013 at 2:12PM   
need help and ideas for a wall to wall fireplace
need help and ideas for a wall to wall fireplace that...
Need help for wall of brick fireplace
I would like to bring some lightness into this dark,...
Fireplace wall needs help.
I love the stone work, but just can't reconcile what...
Need Help on Window Treatment Options
I would love some input on which window treatment style...
would like a fresh updated look to our 90's home and curb appeal
add a patio/courtyard, take off the shutters, replace...
How can I make my front door look more inviting?
House color is Wedgewood Gray, door is Caribbean Teal....
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Needing color!!
I just bought new furniture (a charcoal sofa with an...