Need help updating retro-contemporary 60's post and beam home kitchen, flooring and wood ceiling...
commonsense21
July 7, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are getting read to close escrow on a 60's post and beam home in LA and we need help with the kitchen and flooring. The kitchen cabinets, which are painted a very light gray/white, look okay from a distance, but not up close. They have been painted too many times. It has been suggested that we replace them with espresso shaker cabinets, change the handles to long contemporary brushed nickel and add a light to medium gray leather finish counter top in either mystic gray or a quartz product. We want everything to be low maintanence., We are also thinking of using a slate gray back splash. change the floor to a light natural/taupe/ gray colored hand brushed hardwood. Also, we would sand the cedar ceiling which has ambered quite a bit and perhaps give it a light matte overglaze so that it blends with the floor..
We love retro contemporary grays and taupes and are grateful for any help doing this on budget! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I'd clean up & retain the terra cotta flooring. Terra-cotta tiles can be stained if you hate the natural color. Once I saw them stained gray. Even designer Vincent Wolf has stained them for projects (see here http://www.vicentewolfblog.com/random/ask-vicente-terracotta-tiles/ ) Espresso cabinets will darken the area. Buy a black bed sheet and hold it up to the cabinets and see if you really want to go that dark on cabinetry.
0 Likes   July 9, 2012 at 12:59PM