Need help with exterior ideas on complete 50's ranch remodel in Atlanta.
timglidden
So my wife and I are in the process of completely remodeling an eyesore 50's ranch in Atlanta. We are thinking about painting the brick a creamy earthy tone and adding more brick to cover the white painted wood at all the window mouldings to get a more uniform look. We are also going to add a double window to the right of the doorway which will help eliminate some of the abundance of wood moulding and brick around the window and help even out the look.

Would you make the entrance door a double door or a single door (maybe with sidelights)?

We would like to give it some craftsman details along the way-
The front porch the sagging single 4x4 posts will become double stained 6x6 posts (boxed or bricked at the bottom).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as well as similar before/after photos any of you may have....

I have even tossed the idea of using stacked stone at the front door where white wood moulding is currently....
timglidden
Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!!
July 9, 2012 at 2:56pm   
ICF Custom Homes
Looking at the photo, this seems like a good candidate for transitional style. Metal posts, large full view aluminum clad windows, single door divided light door, etc. Our Del Roy project had some of these aspects.
July 9, 2012 at 7:18pm   
ICF Custom Homes
Del Roy project photos can be viewed on my page via ideabooks.
July 9, 2012 at 7:26pm   
Manon Floreat
I like the idea of widening the window to the right of the door. What you do with the front door depends on what kind of entry space you have. If it enters directly into the living area - double doors with sidelights might not be so practical for furniture arrangement and a little overwhelming. Instead, you might consider treating the door and window to its left as a unit by going with a single door and extending the window to the floor to serve as a modern take on the side light. Below is the closest example I could find. Be sure to check out Crest view Doors for a nice selection of mid century styles - http://www.crestviewdoors.com/.

You have a nice vintage home and those bricks are irreplaceable (not to mention expensive), so I wouldn't recommend painting them - besides there's the upkeep of painted brick to consider. Instead, I'd consider a paint color that would play well with the brick and update the facade. A charcoal grey porch floor and pillars against olive green siding would look sharp and updated. I would leave the pillars as they are - it's part of the mid century aesthetic and charm.

You can add craftsman touches with lighting, planter boxes and or outdoor furniture. Items easily switched out so that when you sell the place later on the house will still have its mid century integrity. Remember - you do have a "period" house and while many buyers will appreciate enhancements to its style they may not be so keen on a hybridization.

I appreciate your careful thought on the remodel - it'll be whatt makes the outcome fabulous! Good luck!
July 9, 2012 at 8:20pm     
timglidden
Thanks for all the help!

ICF - Great job on Del Roy ! Any suggestions on where to get a smilar door/ alum clad windows? What about metal posts any pictures/ suggestions on where they could be purchased...?

Manon- What are your thoughts on using a 6x6 pillar instead of the 4x4's which are warped and in need of replacement ?
July 10, 2012 at 2:47pm   
timglidden
ICF- what color is the brick painted on del Roy ?

Also are the cabinets custom or where can they be purchased ?
July 10, 2012 at 7:09pm   
timglidden
Manon- I like your suggestions a lot as well and am very torn when it comes to painting the brick...

Great site recommendation! I like the first before after home alot on the crestview link below. I noticed the colors are very similar to what you suggested.....
http://www.crestviewdoors.com/browse/before-and-after-photos.html
July 10, 2012 at 8:05pm   
ICF Custom Homes
The aluminum clad windows are Pella (Proline series). The exterior brown/bronze color is really nice looking. As for metal posts, we have a local guy who fabricates for us. I personally like the look of a round 5.5" posts (not too big, not too small). As for the door, you should be able to find this at one of your local trim and door wholesalers. It is a production door so no special order needed. Can be painted, sealed or stained and looks great either way. Yhey have frosted glass options as well if privacy is a concern. Will get back to you on the brick color and another picture of metal posts used on our current project. As for painted brick, if you do it right you won't have to hassle with maintenance issues. A good powerwash followed by quality block primer and either an elastomeric or acrylic latex paint will last a long time and not chip or peal. We paint brick on $1m plus homes all the time and they look great. Lastly, these cabinets are custom. They are a basic stain grade shaker style which are available from most of the pre-finished production cabinet companies. Can get a nice rich look without the expense of stain grade by using a satin dark chocolate paint.
July 10, 2012 at 11:17pm   
timglidden
Thanks for all the help!! This site is great especially for first time home owners like us to get ideas...

]

Do you think something simalar to ICF's project is attaintable?
July 11, 2012 at 7:54pm   
timglidden
Icf- Any idea who manufactures the front door? I've been looking online for similar with no luck... If not I'm sure any door wholesaler could identify with the pictures...
July 12, 2012 at 7:16am   
timglidden
thanks again for all the help!
July 12, 2012 at 1:57pm   
timglidden
What are everyone's thoughts on using ipe wood at the front door and possibly other areas to conceal areas where the white trim exists. As well as painting the brick...

I feel like something Is needed to give dimension to such a flat facade.
July 17, 2012 at 6:51am   
timglidden
w=300]

lets see if this link works...something like this at the entrance with the IPE wood....?

Any suggestions?
July 17, 2012 at 11:42am   
timglidden
]
July 17, 2012 at 11:45am     
ICF Custom Homes
Ipe is very nice but pretty expensive. Not a big deal if you don't plan to use very much. We have used smooth clear cedar for exterior accent walls. It is easier to work with and less expensive. If you use Ipe make sure you have a good carbide blade, seal all cut ends immediately, and wear masks. If you don't seal the ends with check, and the fine Ipe wood dust will irritate your nose and throat.
July 17, 2012 at 7:33pm   
ICF Custom Homes
Left natural, Ipe will turn a grayish color. Great look for modern homes.
July 17, 2012 at 7:36pm   
timglidden
good to know thanks for all the help! ....looks like cedar might be the way to go as trim.....

I'm still contemplating on what to do with the porch columns ....... what do you think about something like this with a double column?

]

I dont think metal posts would look good with the gabled roof....if it was flat there would be no doubt in my mind but the gable has me puzzeled on what to do...
July 17, 2012 at 9:20pm   
timglidden
the builder is really trying to convince us to close in the gable with cedar shake or cement siding and do the double posts simalar to the above picture.....

I am really wanting to leave it open but feel the columns need to be beefed up....any one have a simalar before/after shot?
July 21, 2012 at 10:51am   
timglidden
What are everyone thoughts on closing in the gable...?
July 24, 2012 at 12:07pm   
AK Complete Home Renovations
The modern door with the single sidelight would look great with the cedar shake & the double posts are fantastic. If the trim on the posts could pick up the trim around the door, those lines would really pop! The cedar could soften the look so you have a very eclectic yet modern look without going too far one way or another.
July 26, 2012 at 8:43am     
mpoulsom
I like the double columns and the front door suggestion! :) nice
July 26, 2012 at 8:52am   
timglidden
Thanks! It's tough to decide when the contractor is really pushing to close in the gable.... I think it may dwarf the house too much?? So you think the closed in gable with cedar shake is the way to go? I was also thinking double posts with a starburst on the open gable...... The middle post is really what is throwing it off I think....

Again thanks for all the suggestions!
July 26, 2012 at 6:10pm   
timglidden
I wish we could do the door with sidelights but found out we really can't make the door any wider with the window right beside it.

Next item what do you all think about painting the brick and doing hardi cement siding covering the white trim to match the brick
July 26, 2012 at 6:11pm   
timglidden
like this.....i know its only on ms paint.....
August 2, 2012 at 10:24pm   
ICF Custom Homes
Looks good. Staining the cedar a dark walnut color to match the brown/bronze windows would be nice. Might consider not doing the concrete stepping stones on diagonal. A more linear, rectangle look would give it a more modern look.
August 5, 2012 at 11:30am     
MINIMIS
90-degree angled THUMBTACK landscape lights, to light up the driveway...
August 5, 2012 at 1:49pm     
timglidden
Minimis- thanks that's a great idea Interesting product. I'm in commercial lighting so it's nice to see new products.....

Icf- I think a dark would look great as well... And maybe adding a clear cedar tongue and groove ceiling in the porch....if you noticed I swipped that door off del roy - any idea where I might be able to purchase it or who makes it?

I agree changing the angle of the stepping stones would be great. We are thinking about adding a circle drive later on and a side entrance garage forming an l shape to the left....
August 5, 2012 at 6:08pm   
timglidden
If you look at the before pictures where the white wood trim is currently.....it's almost Like a board and batten but not quite- I'm sure it's original to the house...

What is everyines opinion on doing hardie plank cement over the existing wood trim and painting all including brick one color? It might look to craftsman?

Or should I look at board and batten ? (are the board and batten vertical lines going to dwarf the look of the ranch?)I would consider cedar but hear the termites have a field day if it's close to ground level...
August 18, 2012 at 12:00pm   
timglidden
Heres a picture I took of a more transitional ranch.....a little inspiriation...what do you all think of going this style?

We ordered all caement windows with no grid pattern and I am somewhat second guesing it....any opinions?
August 30, 2012 at 5:58am   
timglidden
Any thoughts? I am still stuck on what to do with the brick and (what appears to be) older board and batten siding......should I paint? What about some cedar shake?

We really like the transitional and northwest contemporary look. Not too modern not too craftsman....

We are really starting to second guess what it will actually look like going either way.....
September 4, 2012 at 10:38pm   
timglidden
Heres the progress so far.....still not sure what to do with the white trim...if we should do cedar shake or hardiplank....or even board and batten?
Any suggestions?
September 14, 2012 at 1:14pm   
Need Help with updating the exterior of my 50s ranch
My husband and I would like to redo the exterior of...
Need help 80's ranch elevation remodel ideas
Would love some insights on how to improve the 80's...
Need to do a smart but creative remodel of small 50's ranch kitchen.
I need a non traditional designer/remodeler for a small...
50's ranch needs exterior lighting
I have a typical 50's ranch-style home that has virtually...
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...
Silestone Lagoon or Caesarstone Frosty Carina?
I had been struggling b/t Silestone Lyra and Lagoon...
can you use different fabrics on a sofa and love seat in the same room
I have a white slipcovered sofa and love seat. I am...
Booth eat in
I have an are off my working kitchen that I would like...