Help! Looking to turn this Grandma looking lake house into something traditional-modern & fun!
April Riewe
Thinking about dark grey siding, with white trim & a red front door to pop? Attached is the back/lakeside of the house.
Where's the front door? It would be easier to comment on it if I could see it. Are you also planning on painting the deck and steps?
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 5:58AM
I think just changing the color of the siding to more natural tones is a good start. You can consider using black metal railings for the deck to update the look.

0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 6:38AM
April Riewe
Here is the front. What do you think?
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 6:00PM
Manon Floreat
I like the idea of a wire or glass railing for the deck and a stone treatment to replace the lattice. Something like this might work for you. I like how the siding color compliments the stone.

0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 6:52PM
betsyweisberg

Interesting pop of unexpected color at windows. I agree with the wire or glass railing to finish off your look. Exciting have fun!
1 Like   July 10, 2012 at 6:56PM
Seems to me that glass would be beautiful but who is going to go out and clean it every other day?
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 7:04PM
I would consider an updated neutral color scheme and material.
1 Like   July 10, 2012 at 7:47PM
Manon Floreat
Good point Carolyn - and it would be a lot of glass looking at the size of the deck, lol! Steel wire like in the pic I posted would be easier for maintenance.
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 10:13PM
shead
I was actually going to post the same photo that betsy posted.....love the color combination and will likely use it if/when we ever find our lake property :)

On the front, I'd remove the shutters and use a more substantial white trim and I'd paint/replace the garage door. The color it is now looks a little out of place.

On the back, I'd change the current lattice to stone or stone veneer (if in budget). I'd also redesign the deck railing and stairs. I'd maintain high contrast by either doing it in white painted wood or in aluminum/iron, which would less maintenance. Glass sounds really nice, but the constant cleaning would get old fast.

A lower cost option for the deck skirting is to keep the lattice, but trim it out for a more finished look. If you stained the lattice darker and then added a wide board across the top that was painted, the darker lattice would fade to the background (at least that's what a designer I had over the other day told me about mine).

Good luck!
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 10:20PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I would love to see this house with shingles in a pale gray color. That one change to the structure and new landscape will really update this home. Hope that helps.
Charmean Neithart
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 10:43PM
pruner
An economical and modern alternative to replacing the lattice is horizontal boarding in Merbau and also staining/replacing the back steps, front door and garage to match. This will give you warm reddish tones as a contrast to the gray you were considering.

For the front, consider replacing the windows with longer and wider ones (minus shutters) to balance those at the rear of the house and lower landscaping plants.
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 11:41PM
April Riewe
Thanks all for your ideas! I'll post as progress is made!
0 Likes   July 11, 2012 at 5:42AM
What is the newest in traditional..modern window treatments?
Running out of ideas...using the same all the time.....need...
moving into a new house...want something style and fun..need help!
Hi there..im moving into a new home with my hubby..its...
Need help with lower level modern lake house
I would like to use the 3D wall treatment with some...
Need help updating an 80s colonial house into something modern!! Help!
The garage on this PA house recently burned down. The...
All-In-One Window/Door Trim!
I added a keeping/sunroom to my kitchen. My first...
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
A THORN IN MY SIDE!!! Need help with arrangment.
OK, I would love to rearrange my living room. What...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Small living room
I have a very small living room (only 3 walls) that's...