How to make my reading room feel better?
yff1121
I don't know why my reading room feels so empty, I have no idea what and how to need to do to let this room feel a little warmer and softer.
annmarie2
A few thoughts
Color - you need color in there!
Is the larger table a desk? It looks a bit awkward there. Maybe center the coffee table under the chandelier (so there's no head bumps!) then put the larger table behind the sofa?
Maybe make/commission window seat cushions?
Maybe an inexpensive chair in the far left corner with a low table and lamp?
July 10, 2012 at 5:11pm     
artsyphartsy_home_maker
I agree with the comments of annmarie2. I would also like to add that in my opinion the art on your wall is a way too small for that large expanse of wall space, I would encourage you to put up some very large paintings/ or one super duper large painting/ or a clustered grouping of evenly spaced, smaller paintings, that aranged together will give a simmilar effect equal to what one larger painting will give. The shelf next to the book case also looks lost lonely and awkward. I would remove it and replace it with 3 smaller painting going vertically down the wall.
July 10, 2012 at 5:53pm     
heidiluking
The window seat looks unfinished. Paint it out the same color as the trim and add some pillows or better yet have a seat cushion made as well.
You can also layer your window treatments and add a roman shade.
Remove the small shelf to the right of the wall unit and put some art or the hat(?) from the wall opposite the window there instead.
Try putting wallpaper on the wall opposite the window.
The table in the middle of the room looks odd. If you don't need access to the bookcase very often you could push the table up against it and add a comfy upholstered dining/ desk chair. Or place it behind the sofa as mentioned previously. If you don't need the table I would get rid of it in favor of an occasional chair in the corner with a small round end table beside. Or if you need a desk and you have the room ( it's hard to tell from the photo) get a smaller desk and place it against the wall on the left with an upholstered chair.
Good luck
July 10, 2012 at 5:55pm     
inkwitch
Definitely color. White and black are sharp and sophisticated, but they aren't exactly warm. A soft gold, butter, sand, warm taupe, apricot (there's a color called "Light Copper" which is a golded-out apricot that changes with light) - whatever your taste runs to, and it will go with black. An area rug. Some sofa pillows -- 2-3 are plenty, in whatever color you choose. Or b/w chevrons, ikat, polka dots,

2 tables aren't working. Annemarie2 has the right idea. Plus chair. Plus floor lamp - something reflective? brushed steel? rod iron tripod painted hot orange? With the big table behind the sofa, you can add a table lamp. LOVE the chandelier!

Bookshelves: they look out of place and incomplete. Some with doors, some without. Take the doors off the ones on the left. If that's storage, find containers (woven square baskets, black patten leather boxes, whatever). If possible make all the shelves line up across all cabinets. Group all like items together, all small bowls in the smaller shelves.

Then you have some uniformity across the wall, although the best option would be chunk the whole thing and put up shelves, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling, widely spaced, 2x10 or 2x12 to give them heft and importance, painted the same color as the walls. The little shelf next to the window isn't working.

Curtains: something with more presence: b/w stripes, red/white stripes, a bold chevron, a traditional swirly pattern. Whatever strikes you fancy, but "more." Go for something you can't live without, something that makes a statement.

This could be your favorite room. Where are the books?
July 10, 2012 at 6:14pm     
mythjen
Guess the reading room is where the pc or similar is gonna be placed, so can the table be moved nearer to the wall. Can the reading lamp be placed along the wall beside the sofa, in case you decide to do some reading lying down (another guess)? That's a nice room. Best regards!
July 10, 2012 at 7:27pm   
Susan Liu
yeah like these people said you need some color maybe like a warm yellow color or something of the warm spectrum so that you feel comfortable. maybe haphazardly stacked books in the shelves instead of displays would make the room feel more homey. and i would get rid of the big table and replace it with small couches and a coffee table for a more relaxed setting. you could also stack pillows and a matress onto the sill for a couch with a view :) hope all goes well!
July 10, 2012 at 8:07pm   
mike799
I would start by softening the room; the current set-up has too many literal and figurative hard edges. Don't be afraid to try bolder colors and larger pieces (artwork; books; pillows). But the table is too large; see below.

First, the walls and window seat. I'd paint the walls a warm rich color, such as a soft cocoa color, which will complement the black upholstery. If the upholstery is dark brown (difficult to tell from the pic) try a warm gray; Benjamin Moore Amherst Grey is terrific. The room will feel cozy and inviting, and the natural light will minimize any "cave" feeling. Then, paint the wooden window seat a soft/off-white, and have a seat cushion made. For the seat cushion fabric, try a washed striped or solid linen; it's easy to take care of and will soften the window area. Add sofa and and window seat throw pillows in patterns or stripes; I like the ikat idea suggested above.

For the floor, I'd add an area rug, in a warm white wool that will complement the window seat or a simple sisal (cheap, durable; Pottery Barn is a good source). Regarding the windows, remove those curtains completely and replace with wooden horizontal blinds; they're timeless, and the wood will warm the room.

The bookshelves seem a bit out of place, off center. If you're up to it, remove the doors and fill the shelves with books, instead of the knick knacks currently in place. Ideally, though, I'd remove the shelving units altogether and install floor-to-ceiling shelving, again filled with books.

Regarding artwork, take down the shelf near the window and the small artwork opposite the windows. All the pieces are out of proportion to the wall spaces. On the wall opposite the window, hang a large piece of art or a large mirror. On the small vertical wall near the window, try hanging a simple wall sconce with a large-ish candle.

Lastly, that large table is quite nice but eats up the room and separates you from the books. Either move it behind the sofa or take it out of the room altogether. Replace it with a simple round coffee table (the round shape will help offset many of the sharper edges in the room). You may have extra room for an armchair near the corner of the bookcase and the wall opposite the window. Place a reading lamp next to the armchair, and add a small footstool if there's room. Looks like there could be.

Good luck! It's a nice room, with great light, and that window seat is terrific.
July 10, 2012 at 8:20pm     
Belinda Stuetelberg
I would also add items/decor that add softness. When I look at the picture, I see sharp edges. Try a chair, at an angle, by the bookcase and a small table w/lamp. Break up the straight angles that you see. Try angling the couch, (get rid of the table, unless you really use it) I'd look for a big ottoman with some nice texture, like wicker or rattan. Add a few pillows, an afghan...so you feel like curling up and relaxing ! Good luck !
July 10, 2012 at 8:21pm   
Belinda Stuetelberg
Here's a picture of my reading room/craft room...it's not perfect, but always feels cozy and welcoming to me. the craft table is inexpensive..from Ikea ! My crafts are tucked in bifold doors, so it feels like a reading room unless I open the doors.
As far as filling that empty wall, try "All Posters" for large prints that suite your taste and use an inexpensive frame (Ikea or Michaels) I'd use three large prints to fill the space. I did this on large empty walls in our exercise room using vintage travel posters, and was happy w/ results and reasonable cost.
July 10, 2012 at 8:32pm   
Chartreuse Design, Ltd.
I agree with
heidiluking and Mike799...there are way too many hard edges and long horizontal surfaces. They need fabric, color (I believe you don't have to go to a warm color to get warmth), and order. Group together and scale things differently as mentioned and you'll be all set! Good Luck!
July 11, 2012 at 1:15am     
lindav
Agree with most of the advice given. The element that stands out for me is lack of pattern. This could easily be brought in via a window seat pad, coordinating pillows and roman blind (the curtain is in the way). Varying the scale of the patterns would add interest too. Similar pillows on couch and a coordinating floor rug. Also add some throws to snuggle under in Winter.
July 11, 2012 at 4:17am   
nathatabor
In addition to all these great ideas, I would add crown molding and a bigger baseboard. I think oversized pieces of colorful art, upholstered pieces and maybe an animal print area rug.
July 11, 2012 at 5:05am   
jodyrah
The drapes sitting on the window seat look awkward. Replace with plantation shutters or Roman shades, perhaps woven wood. Once your room is completed it will be easiere to dtermine which will work.
July 11, 2012 at 5:12am   
zeynep1
if i were you, I would get rid of the hanging pics and hats and shelves off the walls and paint them to a medium tone shade of beige or grey which ever you like . plus i agree with the idea of the getting the big table out of the place where in front of your library..

you can put more cushions on the window seat and a comfortable seat pad will also look more colorfull and living plus would be far more comfortable...

also if there is no problem due to budget, I would put a comfort chair in front of the library and definately change that lighting with something else which can be also an existing lighting in one of your other rooms

it looks more of a dining room with all the accessoriers at the moment but everythig is too white and the lighting is a glass material that it cannot reflect any ligth ! as there is no light or color in the room.

i would also take that curtain off the window and would replace with a panel curtain maybe can be easily found in ikea and cheap...

good luck
July 11, 2012 at 5:31am   
jh77
Agree with comments on color, pattern and all the square hard edges. If you aren't a color person, even taking the walls a soft gray or gray-green would help. The one thing I don't see addressed is balance. You have white walls and cabinets, then big chunks of black in the middle. A black/white scheme, particularly in a dark or north facing room can brighten things up but you want to distribute the drama of the black throughout the room. Consider making the frames on the wall black and painting the wall behind the bookcases black or dark gray. It will make the book cases and chandelier pop and distribute the drama more throughout the room. Making the far wall dark will also draw in that wall and make the space cozier. Pull the black framed picture out of the cabinet and get it on the wall. If you want to showcase anything in the cabinets, put a block of color behind them (even construction paper will do). It will provide a backdrop that lets your items be seen. Love the room! Enjoy it!
July 11, 2012 at 5:38am   
charliebeth
I like all of the comments the above posters added. I'd only add in that a floor lamp might also be a good addition, next to a nice comfy reading chair.
July 11, 2012 at 5:40am   
sjgrimm
First get some BOOKS! Then arrange them by color binding on the shelves, some on their sides some vertical. Paint the bookshelf wall a bold color, I see no color in the room from which to suggest a color. Replace the draperies with wooden blinds inside mount. Hang a long vertical print on the dead space between bookcase and window. I am not a fan of furniture pushed to the walls, but in this case maybe place the sofa on the blank wall. The large table could then be moved to float on the back wall. If it is a desk, a chair could be against the wall. Get rid of coffee table and small wall accessories. Window seat would look nice painted in a pattern, stripes, harlequin or something of your choosing. Paint the other walls a warmer hue.

Sjg
July 11, 2012 at 5:55am   
Kim Callaghan Brandon
Add some warmer colours to your palette. A cushion on the bench infront of the window with lots of throw pillows. Add more wall shelving for more books. Sort books in sections by colour. Stack books on table top surfaces. A plush rug in the center of the room. Darker curtains. Wallpaper on the bookshelve wall, with a design within your colours will add interest and break up the stark look that is currently there.
I like the idea of painting the back of the shelves another colour, this will add depth to the cabinet and interest for the books to pop out.
July 11, 2012 at 5:57am   
vivalicious
Isn't this an awesome community? Such great ideas! Here are my thoughts: Are you standing in the doorway/entrance to the room? Is the wall of bookshelves the first thing you see? A more symmetrical arrangement would help bring balance to the room. They look like Billy Ikea so go on their website and use the planner to move them arround without lifting a finger! Working from the outside in, try the double wides with the half glass doors on the outside, then the singles with the full glass doors, then the double again in the middle but without doors. You paid good money for those doors. Might as well try to have them work better for you. see attached

Has anyone mentioned moving the bookshelves to wall opposite the window? This way you can treat the feature wall with paint, so that beautiful chandelier can POP!

Crazy idea with window seat area- pull drapes away from window and hang from ceiling to floor just outside of window seat so in effect creating a cozy nook. But careful with the fabric you choose so as not to shrink the room.
July 11, 2012 at 6:08am   
pivoines
I love the idea of a reading room, the bookshelves distribution is off,place the shelving unit with the doors at the bottom at either end, the open units in the center, to balance the effect, then, put books in the open units, way more books, it should not be a display unit for odds and ends; you can intersperse objects here and there between books, but books should be major in the display.Take off the shelf on the right . I would put the Hat and picture from the other wall in that space ,instead. definitely paint the window seat the color of the bookshelves (balance again) I would mirror the molding of the bookshelves doors on it ,shaker style, dividing the length of the bench equally to look as closely as possible to the shelving unit doors. Add a seat cushion in a patterned fabric, make draperies to match,I would put rattan rolled up blind (even matchstick ones) on the windows, then, add lots of pillows at both ends of the seat (at least 5 on both sides) it would invite people to use it. I would get rid of the tables, get 4 very comfy armchairs angled around a very large round upholstered footstool placed under the chandelier. Paint the room a warm earth tone . If you need the table for homework or craft, I would use it against the other wall and add suitable lighting and seating , the rest of the design should suit what your room will be used for. good luck
July 11, 2012 at 6:09am     
bomm
Books!! Arranged for browsing and reading = alphabetical by author within categories. Agree with other comments that suggest moving table/ desk to back wall and replacing sofa with club chairs facing out from bookshelves, with some lamps to read by.
July 11, 2012 at 6:24am   
designer4
A cozy area rug if that's a wood floor......? Window seat cushion and mood lighting, a few lamps around that you could dim would be nice as well. Random horizontal stripes in soft grays with yellow accents throughout the room would be cool!
July 11, 2012 at 6:32am   
SERANTONI Designs
A Reading Room is a sanctuary for dreamers. Consider Travelogue art for the romanticist. View online galleria at http://www.SerantoniDesigns.etsy.com.
Enjoy!
July 11, 2012 at 7:02am     
ezreader49
I am not in favor of filling the shelves with books that you never intend to read. I am a firm believer that less is better. Perhaps the reason there are no books in your reading room is because you donate them as soon as you've finished reading them. I am in favor of that; however, there are probably a handful that you own that are waiting to be read, and they should be placed on the shelves.

Regarding all the "chatchka" on your shelves...think about fewer pieces on those shelves, and perhaps use some larger pieces rather than all those little ones. You can find some fairly inexpensive large "objects d'art" pieces at Ross for Less, Home Goods, etc. But there's too much chatchka on those shelves, and the pieces are too small. It appears as though you've collected little "artifacts" on your vacations and it's to get rid of it all. It's just clutter and I'd hate to be your housekeeper and have to dust all around that stuff.

Definitely the little shelf to the right of the bookcases has to go, as well as the wimpy art on the big wall directly across from the window. Use one big piece of art, in proportion to the space, or a grouping of no more than three large pieces. If you opt for 3 large pieces of art, grouped together, please do not stagger the horizontal line of the top of the frames...meaning have the top of the frames all at the same height...may I suggest that height be the same as the top of the bookcases, making fewer distractions for the eye, and also keeping the art at "eye level". Your art is too high on that wall, especially since it is a reading room and you are most likely sitting for the most part.

I'm not sure what the purpose of that large table is in the center of the room. Perhaps you can find another suitable use for it elsewhere, meaning some other room. If you really want a table top surface in that room, akin to a library table, get something not so wide...perhaps use a slender "sofa table" on the wall opposite the window, underneath the large artwork.

Also consider whether you really need such a large coffee table. Perhaps two smaller cube coffee tables would suffice, and give you better mobility in the room (not having to walk around the coffee table all the time) but just a small surface to put your cup of tea.

The first think I noticed in looking at your photo, was that for a reading room, you have very little lighting. I don't like the chandelier at all in that space. Chances are you are not just reading during the daytime when you can take advantage of the light streaming in from the window. It's hard to read without proper lighting, and you need to get some other lighting in there. That one floor lamp looks cold, you can do better. And I am also in favor of smaller seating, single comfortable chairs rather than a sofa. Consider when you walk into someone's home and they offer you to sit down. Let's say there is a sofa (3 cushion) and two individual arm chairs. Where are you most likely to sit. The notion that a sitting room needs a 3-cushion sofa, is outdated. A 2-cushion loveseat would be better, with a comfortable arm chair in the room to give you the same amount of seating.

You've had plenty other good suggestions about what to do with the window dressing, the window seat, and the need to bring some vibrant color to what is now a very dull pallette.
July 11, 2012 at 8:10am     
suedee
You have received lots of good ideas (add softness with upholstery, size-up accessories, artwork, reconfigure bookcase.) Regarding suggestion to remove the table--I think its position indicates it is important to you and is intended to work as a 'library' table...so to keep it in the room, I wonder if you could shift it a quarter turn and site in front of window seat? Then move sofa to left wall (better view!) Remove coffee table. Place ottomans (with casters) between repositioned sofa & table for multifunction--seating at table; footrest or 'coffee table' for sofa. The ottomans could be upholstered to provide punch of color. I think the bookcase needs to more substantially connect to right wall and ceiling. Perhaps, accessorize across top & side with uniform series of framed artwork. I think part of your problem with room is focal points are "off"--the bookcase needs to be both better incorporated and de-emphasized. Without more detail, it's difficult to know whether this idea would work. Good luck!
July 11, 2012 at 8:41am     
alwaysdesigning
lots of great suggestions and I think it's hard to think where to start if you don't take the room down to bare bones; remove everything you can: furniture, wall decor, curtains, everything. Look at it with a fresh view.

Personally I would start with getting some fabulous fabric for new curtains and matching window seat cushions. Make matching sofa pillow and floor/sitting pillows/ottomans. Lots of good DIY on Pinterest. IKEA has great looking fabrics and also readymade curtains. This will start you on the way to paint color and accent colors. With the black and white you have, I love black, white, yellow and grey. Lots of great fabrics to decorate with in this color way.
Here is a red and white idea: http://theaestate.tumblr.com/post/19625434097/want-to-do-something-like-this-for-my-little-girl

Or, see these WALL DECALS http://www.etsy.com/shop/walldecals001

Then start layering: paint the walls as needed (you don't have to paint them all if you don't want to, do an accent wall),and ceiling a lighter shade to warm the space, paint furniture as needed, a fresh area rug, and hang LARGE art work to fill in your wall (again see Pinterest for some DIY). Make sure you also have good floor/table reading lights all around. It won't take much money to make it more interesting and warmer. Start with a cleared out space. Can you rearrange the furniture? I would love to look out the window; seating along that wall across from window seat? Great space. Good luck.
July 11, 2012 at 8:51am     
Cure for Space LLC
all of the above...yes, add color--what's your favorite? Wall opposite window needs livening up. Either with paint or mural or large posters/paintings. Definitely move the couch opposite window. Was wondering why two tables? If you need a place for your laptop there are a variety of solutions other than tables. Are the books behind the doors in the shelving unit? Besides a couch you could a comfy chair. Not sure how comfortable window seats are for reading a book. One or two smaller cushions would brighten up that space and you can add flowers or plants.
July 11, 2012 at 10:00am     
Studio NOO Design
I agree, color, lots of cushions below the window, and roman blinds instead of curtains ! mix and match fabric patterns and definitely put wall paper on the opposite wall. paint the wall behind the shelves with a bold color: turquoise, orange or raspberry...the shelves are so big that it won't look too much. and then, enjoy !
July 11, 2012 at 2:08pm     
laurieeas
It is hard to tell in the photo exactly how big the room is, but my first inclination is to move the shelves on the left long wall, move the couch to where the shelves are currently, and coordinate the window seat fabrics and pillows with some toss pillows on the couch and some draperies. I think the current flow of the room doesn't welcome you in. You want a reading room to beckon you. I agree that a warmer wall color, as well as shelves filled with books will help greatly. Play with it. Take everything out and see what a rearrange does. Then let some new textiles add visual interest.
July 11, 2012 at 2:29pm     
ej610
Hi yff1121. Try adding some art and color, and de-clutter the flat surfaces.
July 11, 2012 at 2:48pm     
Tarey Cullen
Interesting topic. Majority want color...etc. Let's take a peek in imagineland... remove the big table as annmarie2 suggests, ( and ceiling chandelier $$$. will look great in the bedroom) . Add the crown molding ($ 20.00 bucks- plus finding someone who knows how to cut mitres :) )
paint the back wall a dark accent color. switch the bookcase units around (great idea from "vivalicious" ( all respondents from the USA and half of Canada want you to put the little shelf in the bathroom.) Add some cushions near the window and some more pillows to throw at the cat.... Thought I would show some artwork grouping on left wall and a new panama enspired ceiling fan just to screw with everyones sense of logic, :) Was going to kick the couch over to the left wall but if the room opens up, I figured you can play with the arangement to find what trips your trigger.

Tarey
July 11, 2012 at 2:59pm     
Cozy Casita
@SERANTONI Designs ... Even if your post was just a simple plug for your own work, it was a good call ! :-) Yours is just the kind of wall art a room like this could use. Would work well with the colours suggested by Studio NOO Design, too. The owner of the room says it feels 'empty', so I'm guessing that she's not a 'less is more' type and think. as has already been suggested, that she should go for some larger pieces, adding to, rather than detracting from, the 'collector' vibe the room suggests she might enjoy. A larger flower arrangement, piles of books and magazines on the large library table .. which I'd probably run lenght-wise down the room, placing the sofa on the left wall and losing the coffee table, in favour of something like a tea/drinks-cart on wheels, which could be used on either side of the room, as an when needed. I'd probably overfill that gap between the top of the shelves and the ceiling with (artificial) 'greenery' in long, shallow containers, ... but that's just a 'me' thing ! Love the chandelier. Good luck with the room and don't forget to post your updates !
July 11, 2012 at 3:59pm     
margaretk
More books! Add a reading lamp and maybe a chase lounge. Put some thick cushions on the window seat with pillows. The coffee table is not nessary - sofa is kind of large.
July 12, 2012 at 12:59am     
yff1121
Wawoo, thanks very much for so many suggestions from your guys, especially thanks to "ej610" and "Cozy" for your new design of my room, I will take all of your advices into consideration and try to make some changes to better the room. I'm planning to replace the pictures on the wall with some bigger drawings and put some pillows near the window. Also change the color of the back wall is necessary. It seems like my original design of this reading room is not as good as I imaged before. Thanks anyway for all of you friends.
By the way, one question about the big table, I need it for the whole family to read and operate PC on it, but it's not so nice in such a narrow space, if it's better to replace it with a smaller one? If so, what type of table is more suitable?
July 12, 2012 at 7:19am   
alwaysdesigning
If you can, it would be a great opportunity to utilize the window seat; get a narrower table that can be moved parallel to the window seat, so it can be used as seating and you can also place a couple chairs on the opposite sides of the table for additional seating. An example attached here: http://blog.insideoutcolouranddesign.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Banquet.jpg
Good luck; it will be fabulous.
July 12, 2012 at 8:34am     
TF Design and Color
I would start by removing the center table . Then start with the walls , you need to find some art that will take up some of that space.Maybe use photos of the family and some mirrors . Or maybe just a large painting. Add some nice live plants, they always make the space feel more comfortable,and it looks like you have great lighting. Next I would put a cushion on the window seating so on a nice day you can read while enjoying the sun. I would also add a really comfy chair or two. Like a lot of the comments already I would add a punch of color. I love black and white but layering in a punch of color will make the space look more sophisticated. I don't know how much of the room we can't see but I would say the last piece of the puzzle would be to rearrange the room, and use that color to add a new window treatment....good luck , relax and don't over think it. Use thing that make you happy!
July 12, 2012 at 8:54am     
lindav
Just thought of another few ideas, (hope they've not been mentioned) & not that you're short of suggestions - what about a really large world map on the wall. They are colourful, right on trend and if you have kids in the room doing homework they'll quickly learn where all the countries are. Also your shelving units look like they are Ikea and can be separated. Could you put your couch on the end wall with matching shelving units either side, then paint the end wall a deep colour (to offset the couch) and then paint or paper the back of the shelves to match your wall. This will make a really cosy alcove for your couch and will be a feature too.
July 14, 2012 at 3:47am     
readbetter
I agree that you need some color in there. If you don't want to paint the room, maybe try some accent color and put some pillows along the ledge under the window and make a nice window seat there. I love lindav's idea of a large world map and you can pick up those colors in your pillows. So nice to have a quiet, pretty place to read.
July 14, 2012 at 4:12am     
Dot Calm
Two things, psychologically, the only "safe place" in that room where your back is protected while you read is in the corner by the window, but if you get up from that spot, you are going to bang your head on the shelf above it, or while you are in that spot, you are going to worry about something dropping off the shelf onto you. Get rid of the little shelf and make that into a cozy nook with warm colored pillows. Put the sofa against the inside wall, and you will no longer have the feeling that someone is going to jump you from behind - where you were standing while taking this picture.
Second, if this is a rental and you can't paint the walls, paint the interior backs of the shelving units a warm rich color that is flattering to your skin tone, the color in the back of the shelves will reflect nicely on you, and it will make the things that you put on the shelves "pop" against the color.
July 14, 2012 at 10:21pm     
Sally Lee by the Sea, LLC
Here is the library I created in my home...not perfect but we love it (we've actually ripped the carpeting out since photos taken).

Again, where are the books in your reading room??? Think of the purpose of the room -- reading. You need comfy places to relax, books, good reading light and coziness.

Good luck! :O)
July 20, 2012 at 11:30am   
PoshHaus
Floor mounted fan from Fanimation might do the trick!
August 6, 2012 at 7:05pm   
mythjen
Sometimes the reading mood comes with a very lazy pace --- admittedly, I'd like to grab the throw pillows (or put the books, the laptop, food, everything) and lie/roll on the carpeted floor as Sergio Mendes songs blast from my music component nearby then the first book or magazine is opened. My suggestion that that the reading lamp be placed along the wall alright but the light must be pointed about 45 degrees to the center of the room. If you can the books must be placed along the bottom shelves for easy access. Good luck!

Desks for Home
August 6, 2012 at 7:22pm   
Cocoon Fabric Art
Hi,
We create textural fabric wall art- this could soften your interior and add a little (subtle) colour.
Let us know if you would like any advice or information! You can see more images on our Houzz profile or our website www.cocoonfabricart.co.uk.

Best
Cocoon Fabric Art
info@cocoonfabricart.co.uk
August 30, 2012 at 7:03am   
Committed Photography, Inc.
Let us know what you think of the art recommendation below. These pieces printed on canvas as 24"x36" would look amazing.

Top two images are by a lady named Cath Evans. She has great collection work to choose from on our site. The bottom two images are by Ceri Jones who is actually our featured photographer this month. She has a lot of really smooth woodlands work but be sure to look at the two poppy images she has. They would pair excellent on your wall.

Let us know how we did or if you had something else in mind :)

Cath Evans - http://bit.ly/Cath_Evans

Ceri Jones - http://bit.ly/Ceri_Jones
September 21, 2012 at 3:45am   
I don't know why my reading room feel so empty ,I have...
Any advice on how to make my living room look better?
I've been struggling to finish decorating my living...
Want to make my living room into a reading room
How do I convert my small living room into a reading...
How to make room...well how to make this room work better
I'm having struggles on pulling this room together....
Wall color in new bathroom?
Hi Guys, I have posted here before but the colours...
Paint tile or not?
Should we paint this tile around fireplace in black?...
What to do in this room?
Need some ideas on how to redo and utilize this space...
Keep fireplace woodwork original??
We are remodeling a 1958 fourplex, and I need some...
Planter suggestions?
Rocks, plants, flowers?