Suggestions for Backsplash
dueck
Just completed a remodel and are looking for ideas on a backsplash. We may end up adding some shelves beside the upper cabinets at some point, so we'll probably only do the little area behind the stove. Feel free to add any other ideas (and please excuse the clutter - still getting settled in and have 2 little ones keeping me busy!)

You could do some basic subway tile there, but since there is not a huge amount of pattern going on elsewhere, you have a great opportunity to do something with a little more energy to it. Here are a few cool ones:

Kitchen Sink/Faucet
Kitchen Remodel
Kitchen counter
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:38PM
tennisanyone
I actually think I would add a smokey black mirror or a regular mirror to the back of the stove or even stainless tiles. I don't love a mirror backsplash in a kitchen but in this case, Not much space and putting tile on such a small space would just end up looking busy. What would it reflect on the other side? Another picture please
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:01PM
nnouza
Here is an inexpensive idea that looks really nice and super easy to cut and install: http://www.lowes.com/pd_240793-82801-B50-21_0__?productId=1068567&Ntt=Backsplash&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3DBacksplash&facetInfo=
Added this behind stove in previous house and finished the remodeled area well. There are a few more designs and colors at Lowe's and they are located in the kitchen remodel display area.
Please post an updated pic of what you end up with. The kitchen looks great. I love how the counter wraps around on the window wall so you can do work and watch the backyard. Good Luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:23PM
tennisanyone
Just looked at nnouza's idea. I like it but not for this kitchen. The pattern/tile will be too busy. Just looked again and I would add black tiles to the whole wall , so the microwave, stove looks connected. I don't like the two mismatched pieces on either side. Doing a mirror or black tile might make that less obvious.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:46PM
pcmom1
Clutter? What clutter?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:57PM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi dueck!
I have to agree with Emily Hurley in that since you're only doing a small space, you should pick something fun, something with movement! Something like the mosaic below, called Steel Bamboo on our website, would be gorgeous and complement the beautiful shade of green on your walls!
    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 8:52AM
tennisanyone
Are we only talking about behind the stove? If so, I would not do anything busy. Keep it simple. Hold a black shirt up or buy two mosaic panels and hold that up too. Do not committ until you try it first. Behind the stove it not a very attractive spot to highlight without doing the whole backsplash.
    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:53AM
michigammemom
With the spice rack on one side and the wine rack on the other side of the stove, I would be inclined to link the space with a neutral tile that echoes the color of the cabinetry rather than the green wall color. I like this subtle mosaic from Ann Sacks.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:04PM
tennisanyone
Agree. Your paint color will change one day but
Not the backsplash. Keep it simple
    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:35PM
I think a stainless steel backslash in that small space would be perfect.

5 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:42PM
fishymom
Our kitchen is very similar to yours, oak cabinets with bronze moulding and hardware, ubatuba granite, green wall and travertine floors. We chose a tumbled marble backsplash with bronze accents, a diamond pattern but similar to the one pictured above. It looks great and really grounds the kitchen and ties everything together.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:43PM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Simple, simple, simple - especially because your stove top comes up at wall and does not leave a full square - make it simple, an accent - Darzy above has good idea -
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:48PM
tennisanyone
I suggested stainless a while back in the post too but now that I look at it again, I think something without lines and contrast.. Maybe just a black tile to make the whole back of the stove seem like it is one piece otherwise it will look too choppy.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:11AM
Eurocerob
I like Darzy's idea .
    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:59AM
Or, just plain stainless...

1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 10:57AM
bdennison
I like white. Bring in the white lights and white trim. I did a framed pattern with 6x8s for my son and it made the stainless stove and MW look like a unit as opposed to the stacked subway in the rest of the kitchen. Love the green on your walls.If this was a favorite of yours, you could do a lighter green glass subway. Sky's the limit
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 11:39AM
dueck
Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions! I had totally forgotten about this post. And admittedly we have done nothing with it so far. When we do, I will try to post an updated pic. I like the idea of staying with a neutral backspash. It was such an excruciating decision to decide the colour pallette (had 4 great options presented by a designer who did a colour consultation)...so I think I'll be painting in a few years, since I get bored of colours easily and love change. The green was almost a blackberry wine, but then the idea of keeping it lighter and brighter won out (to maximize the natural light).
    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:40PM
Bonnie
I think the green paint is really fun. I do like the idea of a neutral backsplash because it gives you more options down the road if you ever decide to try "blackberry wine" or another fun color. Would love to see your finished pics.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:32PM
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
As much as I like the idea of using black tile, I would not use it in this space. I have a black countertop and am constantly cleaning up every spot, watermark, food, etc that shows up soooo easily on black surfaces!! Go to a tile place and look at some of the reliefs, mosaics etc. that would be a nice bit of "focal" for behind the stove.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:38PM
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:38PM
dueck
I agree about the black - boy do those counters ever fingerprint! Plus I like the idea of something a little lighter so the space doesn't seem too darkly lit.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:42PM
Bellamira Design
Use stainless steel behind the range. The rest should be a glass tile -- whatever your favortie color is. Lighten it up with a light glass (remind the tile installer to use white morter behind glass). Should be beautiful when done.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:13PM
Suggestions for backsplash
I would like some opinions on what to do for my kitchen...
brider
Please suggest backsplash idea
I have a white kitchen no windows, very small, pls...
zahida1221
Suggestions on backsplash and paint color for kitchen walls
Would love ideas on type of tile or stone. Countertop...
kimilenertz
Need suggestions for backsplash.
Wrong granite installed & decided to just keep it....
kmh2009
Remodeling master bath
I am in a big dilemma. I am getting ready to remodel...
Susmita Tripathy
Need suggestions for granite countertops and backsplash
We're shopping for granite countertops and not sure...
Pam Artmann
Need help with bare walls
I have double height walls in the living room and they...
Maria Miles
For small open concept area, contrast paint?
Have an small/avg sized living dining room open concept...
joelcoqui
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Sea Breeze