looking for a good hand scraped wood TILE
Kelly Hewitt
Can anyone recommend a good quality reasonably priced wood look tile (ceramic or porcelain) floor? I want something durable yet "warm" feeling as it will cover the entire bottom floor of my house...laundry, bed, bath living everything!
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 1:12PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hello Kelly,

There are soooooo many "wood" tiles out on the market. Some of them are good and some are not. You should definitely go with a porcelain tile because porcelain is way stronger and therefore better for floors as ceramic tiles.

Keep also the size of the joints in mind. They should not exceed 1.6 mm (1/16) - otherwise it would not look like hardwood anymore - and also not smaller than 1.2 mm (3/64) because the joint wouldn't be filled properly when grouting the tiles.

These kind of tiles are very long and small so there is a high risk of breaking if the sub floor is not properly prepared. That means, you have to fasten the plywood properly to the beams with millions of 1 1/2 inch wood screws. At least every 1 foot, better every 8 inch. (The more the better!)

We also highly recommend to install an anti fraction membrane like Schluter Ditra - http://www.schluter.com/7214.htm

The sub floor has to be absolute in level otherwise you will get lipages.

Check your tiles before you pay your invoice. Some tiles are very vaulted/arched or bent. This will also result in lippages.

Sometimes the tiles are different in its width. This will result in different joints.

Your project will cost you a small fortune, so spend the time do find an experienced tile setter who knows all about this. Ask him whether he has done such floors before. Ask for evidence and references. Ask a lot of questions to figure out whether he is qualified or not. And if you have any doubt about his qualification, don't let him do the job. You'll regret it.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. We will be glad to advise you.

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver) http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
.
2 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 12:35AM
Hand scraped wood, is it good?
I am putting in engineered floors and the contractor...
Hand Scraped Wood Floors or Smooth Wood Floors
We are going to be building a row house and I'm trying...
Looking for hand scraped hickory. 8mm thick and 5" wide .
Need at least 1 box two would be great. Purchased this...
looking for more hand scraped hickory laminate 8mm and 5" wide
Purchased flooring for upstairs and working on last...
Need help to choose paint colour for my dining and living room
The dining room flooring is a natural stained oak hardwood....
Do you mind mirrors in the dining room?
[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/1124199/Vintage-Nouveau-Home-eclectic-dining-room-los-angeles] This...
Buyers remorse or OCD? New house, new stuff, no clue!
We just moved into our new custom home and I can't...
A THORN IN MY SIDE!!! Need help with arrangment.
OK, I would love to rearrange my living room. What...
Window treatments for kitchen
Moving to an apartment and the kitchen windows are...