Who's got a "Before and After" to share?
July 13, 2012 in Before & After
I'd LOVE to see them! Who doesn't love a great transformation?

It can be a big change or a small change. Post your before and after as a separate post (Be sure to include "Before and After" in your title or post) then comment here with a link to your post to share it.

Be sure to include lots of photos!

This photo by: http://www.houzz.com/pro/alriti
Mona Ives
Emily - I thought Houzz guidelines were not to post "before" pictures?!
3 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
You can absolutely post them in the discussions. In fact, I highly encourage it. :) That guideline is just for project photos on your profile.
10 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 1:59PM
ikwewe
This will be fun! Let's see, how about Before pix of my master bath. Actually,it was so hard to get pictures of it, I only have post demo construction pix. It started as a half bath in the garage, 1960s vintage tile and blue fixtures. We demolished a makeshift access the prior owners had constructed, moved the water heater, took the original walls down to half height and widened the doorway, then built out a new shower and room for the washer and dryer stack. We had to raise the floor three inches to match the bedroom floor.
3 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:03PM
ikwewe
After, we kept the original vintage tile and fixtures, and the medicine cabinet and vanity, as the house is very retro in design and we got all the furniture with it too. We coordinated the new tilework by doing the floor and back wall of shower the same as the rest of the house, then found some great pebble and seaglass to blend with the blue in the original. The vanity was refreshed with new paint, and we added a new light fixture above it, as the old fluorescent one was not great for looking in the mirror. The faucet I picked at Lowe's and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it, but the design was right for the water theme of the room.
10 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:11PM
Wow!! I love that tile! I don't think I've seen that before.
5 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:11PM
ikwewe
Pix of new shower and inside laundry, door to master bedroom. It was a lot of fun and added so much value to our use of the house. Water heater was formerly where the washer and dryer is now. It was moved and built into a closet behind the shower, along with the new HVAC system.
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 2:14PM
Project Partners Design
Here's one I worked on that makes an ordinary kitchen into an extraordinary kitchen. [The details are in my Houzz portfolio under the project Stately Style.] I just love the homage to the family dog on the custom-painted hutch piece!
27 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:20PM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Emily! I've got some!

I think the biggest change in this project came with the lighting, we added a very substantial skylight and directional cans, vintage feel goosenecks over the sink, a vintage central fixture and under cabinet lights. It made a huge difference in the feel of the space.

We also reused the post war American made metal cabinets- we used them on the dock of the same home (pictured in blue below) and the beam you see in the kitchen was split to lay flat, so we used the splits to create a countertop for the dock counter. Loved recycling those elements!

They correspond to these:

uptown country kitchen photo: Mike P Kelley 1

white kitchen, rubber floor, mirror backsplash, brazilian soapstone, panel fridg

uptown country kitchen photo: Mike P Kelley 2
15 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:24PM
@Project Partners Fantastic! That hutch is great. Totally agree. Love the transformation.
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:24PM
ikwewe
Here is the tile on Houzz, American Tile sea glass blend:
4 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:25PM
OH cool! Is that how you found it?
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:27PM
Project Partners Design
Here's another one that is near to my heart. We were thrilled to get rid of the green fixtures in this guest bath. We actually recycled them through a local salvage yard and they paid us for them because they were in mint condition! [Details on my Houzz portfolio under Out with the 50s.]
14 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:33PM
ikwewe
Emily, no, I saw that afterward. I had my pinwheel tile all picked out and walked into Buffkin on Merritt Island and there was the pebble and seaglass right out front. I fell in love on the spot.
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:38PM
Iyare I
Backyard BEFORE

It was an empty wasteland... waterlogged, dead grass, absolutely nothing and no reason to be back there.
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:43PM
ikwewe
I love how people are reusing and recycling these great pieces! I have some more examples from my kitchen where we opened up a paneled wall, moved a kitchen bar to fill the space and recycled the paneling for the living room back and side of the bar. That project added a lot of light to our house and fixed a bad traffic design, having to walk around the bar to get to the dining table from the kitchen, plus we moved the refrigerator to where the bar originally was, and that opened up the kitchen floor amazingly.
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 2:44PM
Iyare I
Backyard AFTER

Now, its my little retreat. Its very relaxing and the sound of the water from the pond is very soothing. Next up... SOME OUTDOOR FURNITURE....
39 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 2:48PM
Iyare I
KITCHEN BEFORE.....

I had a bland kitchen. It was boring, dated, and didnt go with the rest of the house.
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 2:50PM
Iyare I
KITCHEN AFTER (Progress.....)

I have a few more things I would liike to do like put roman shades over my windows, work on clearing the clutter on the counters, and a new fridge. But it makes me a lot happier than the previous one did.
25 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 2:54PM
k8saw
Bathroom before and after, sorry for poor quality on before.
20 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 3:16PM
Iyare I
I love your backsplash k8saw... its beautiful!!
7 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 3:35PM
dalma darling
What a fun topic - I love seeing what everyone has done. I'm always so inspired by you all! Here's our garage transformation. We converted our 2 car garage into a bar / office.

Check it out here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/152991/Before-and-After-Garage-Renovation

Before and After Garage Renovation 1

Before and After Garage Renovation 2
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 3:37PM
Archevie Design
The original house was a double wide modular on a raised foundation. Most of the work was done by the owners - while they lived in the house with little kids! People never cease to amaze me.
30 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 3:58PM
ikwewe
Dark living room and dark cramped kitchen, BEFORE
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 5:01PM
ikwewe
Opened up kitchen and living room, AFTER. We wanted to keep that time capsule 1964 decor, furniture came with the house. We re-used the real cherry paneling on the living room side of the bar, and have since added some stained glass pendants above the bar. The first shot shows our new backsplash of 1960s ceramic tile from Japan that I found on eBay,
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 5:11PM
ikwewe
Iyare I, your yard is amazing! It does not look possible that the Before and After pix could even be the same yard. Love the water feature! Did you use the concrete patio as a base, or tear it out?
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 5:37PM
Iyare I
Thank you!! Im very happy with the way it turned out. I used the concrete patio as a base and expanded out.
2 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 6:01PM
BeautifulRemodel.com
Before photo
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 6:54PM
BeautifulRemodel.com
36 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 6:56PM
BeautifulRemodel.com
Before photo:
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 6:57PM
42 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 7:00PM
Sheila
kitchen before
3 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 7:17PM
Sheila
kitchen after
23 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 7:20PM
TPA Architecture, Inc.
Venice bungalow before
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 8:44PM
TPA Architecture, Inc.
Venice bungalow after
23 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 8:44PM
Jo-Ann Capelaci Interior Desgn
Kitchen remodel before and after pictures by Colours & Concepts Interior Design. For more pictures see www.coloursandconcepts.com
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 8:46PM
Kevin
Before and After... (sorry the image is so small)
39 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 8:49PM
Clifford Renovations & Restorations
Just finished this'un...turned a 1950 into a 2012 : )
21 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 8:57PM
Clifford Renovations & Restorations
some more..
10 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 9:09PM
World Contracting LLC
here is a small bathroom here in Chatham, NJ before
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 9:12PM
Clifford Renovations & Restorations
last one : ))
15 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 9:13PM
World Contracting LLC
2 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 9:15PM
momof5x
Has anyone else noticed where like during construction of a room how tiny it looks until you have completed the project ( painted it etc) then it looks fine? Good example is in before and after pics Ekwewe has shown above. I have notice this with our new home too, the rooms looked so small but once completed, look normal.
4 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:02PM
Clifford Renovations & Restorations
Kitchen Before c:1950 and after 2012
23 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 13, 2012 at 10:29PM
Clifford Renovations & Restorations
as seen through the adjoining dining room I created with raised panel wainscoting (excuse my tools please: )
15 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:36PM
Advent Home Solutions Inc
Before and after family bathroom reno ... thanks in part to carpenter ants eating through the exterior sheathing.
9 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:46PM
Advent Home Solutions Inc
Before and after of a large deck reno ... more carpenter ant / rot damage lead to this one.
5 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:52PM
Advent Home Solutions Inc
From layout with lots of wasted space to very functional modern home ... all within the existing exterior walls.
4 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:58PM
Advent Home Solutions Inc
Very dated master bathroom ... one of 3 bathrooms & 1250sqft of slate (including stairs) in mountain side townhouse renovation.
6 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 11:05PM
pattimay
Everyone has done amazing jobs. It's nice to see these because most photos we look at are for those that have money! Lots of it.
8 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 4:56AM
Beverly
1980's kitchen. My husband and I redid it entirely by ourselves on a strict budget. This is the before picture.
1 Like   July 14, 2012 at 4:58AM
Beverly
1980's kitchen. We added molding to the cabinets and painted them. Added backsplash. Painted, yes, painted the laminate countertops w/a product called Giani Granite and purchased new appliances
48 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 5:01AM
Lucy Ananiadis
Before- I was going to get rid of this drab pine dresser because i wanted white built in shelves
After - Then I decided to give painting it white a go... we should all think more about recycling our things before getting rid of them
69 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 5:37AM
ikwewe
Betty, interesting about the painted formica! I am fussing about countertops and can't
make up my mind. I added new backsplash (above) but still have the old Formica tops, which do have a little wear, a gouge and a bad seam. Can those be filled in and then painted over, do you know? And how is the paint wearing?
1 Like   July 14, 2012 at 5:48AM
cdeb
Old coop bathroom gut renovated. Small. Used stone tile accented by porcelain. painted wall seapine and kohler revival fixtures.
11 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 6:41AM
cdeb
A 1900 home in Brooklyn gut renovation in progress. A photo from 1938, 2012 and the plan for renovation.
2 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 7:26AM
summilux
Before this was a home darkroom. Over the years, until the digital age, I either had a home darkroom or ready access to one. This one, although it came with the house was in absolutely the wrong location
1 Like   July 14, 2012 at 7:38AM
cdeb
FL Kitchen Family Room before and after.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 7:38AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Wow, these are great "Before and After" photos.
I would love to share a dramatic kitchen project will you.

This project was a 100 yr. old Stone Colonial with 90" ceilings. We took a spare room out above to create a two story kitchen with a balcony above.

I am very fortunate that I have great clients that have the faith in my firm to let our vision become their reality.

Thanks for letting me share these fun projects.
Please check out some of my other projects at www.interiortrend.com

Torry manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
47 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 7:40AM
summilux
After- from darkroom to breakfast room and extension of the kitchen. The floors, cabinets, table, sideboard and winefridge enclosure are DIY. Wife did the painting.
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 7:46AM
A D Construction - Building & Design
We love before and after images - they really tell the "story". Here are a couple of pictures of our own home we renovated (Shannon Malone did a Houzz Tour - Japanese Style California Beach House).
27 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 8:00AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Sometimes the transformation is so complete it is difficult to recognize that you are looking at the same spot . . . you can see the concrete driveway in the background of both photos.
19 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:23AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Emily,
This can become addicting! I just found a project that converted a small dated colonial bathroom into a Zen Spa Retreat.

Had to share it!

Torry Manzo
Renaisance Kitchen and Home
13 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:44AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- Here's another fairly dramatic one, changing from a "builder" fireplace to something more appropriate in this post-and-beam home:
.
37 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:49AM
Wolffe Interiors
Our ongoing labor of love, and my first whole house design - a little foreclosed bi-level ranch in a nice neighborhood. I think the neighbors are happy we rescued it. Before - light gray with a gambrill roof and portico, after - we restored the roof to original shape, and a new facelift of rockaway gray siding and faux rock face under the portico.
4 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 1:24PM
Wolffe Interiors
Here's the rest: Planning the interior layout has been a great experience.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 1:26PM
Sabrina Silvernale
I have a house full of "before and afters," but my most recent is the laundry room, which is also a mud room as it leads to the garage and basement living area. We wanted to have access to the pipes and ducts for possible service, but hide them, too. So, we built a pegboard wall with a niche for the appliances. Fresh paint, a homemade chalkboard and key holder, wire cubbies, and shelf complete the wall. A shoe bench and coat rack add needed storage. The space is casual and lighthearted as well as functional for us.
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 5:16PM
Blake Wood
Whole house remodel in Denver, CO. House had a bit of an identity crisis, looking like the Brady Bunch house on the outside and very traditional on the inside. Here are my
Kitchen Before and Afters.
6 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:51PM
Blake Wood
Here is a shot of the kids bathroom I designed.
8 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:53PM
Blake Wood
And here is the living room.
5 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:54PM
Blake Wood
Master Bath
12 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 14, 2012 at 8:55PM
Blake Wood
Family Room
8 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:59PM
Blake Wood
Exterior
5 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:59PM
ourfarmhouse
previous house before and afters...

The kitchen cabinet part was a $100 refresh...meant to be temporary until we had a larger budget, but it changed things so much we never had to dive that deep.
The sunroom was a similar budget.
13 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:34AM
ourfarmhouse
...and the exterior...
10 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:35AM
ourfarmhouse
current house before and afters (work in progress)...

dining room
9 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:38AM
ourfarmhouse
bathroom...temporary fix

Sometimes when you can't get the crust from the previous owners out, you've got to tear it down to the studs:)

(we'll do it up big later, but for now this makes it liveable).
6 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:39AM
ourfarmhouse
guest room...traveler's suite
4 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:41AM
ourfarmhouse
kid's bedroom...retro cowboy
4 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:43AM
ourfarmhouse
half bath...new aged tin ceiling, etc.
4 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:47AM
ourfarmhouse
living room...too much white to rich, dark chocolate
7 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:49AM
ourfarmhouse
master...fresh green
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 12:51AM
ourfarmhouse
and finally, the nursery...room for three
10 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 12:54AM
SalvageArtisan
ourfarmhouse - way to go! you've been busy...looks amazing!!
3 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 4:48AM
astraea
This has been my favorite discussion on Houzz so far!! My house was totally gutted & updated about 12 years ago, by a previous owner, and for the most part I love it. The only thing I don't like, is a "Jack & Jill" bathroom, which I'd like to have hall access & be much lighter/brighter. Right now, I'm waiting for design ideas from one of the highly rated companies on Angie's List .. and their projected cost! About the only thing I want to preserve is the "iris window"!
5 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:50AM
remmyliz
Before: Old 1950's bath...blue tile everywhere. I mean everywhere.
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:55AM
remmyliz
After: Sheetrock, wallpaper, travertine floors. Demo-ing tile floors and walls-not fun.
But is worth the sweat.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 5:56AM
astraea
Before I moved in, the home office, main bathroom & one of the children's bedrooms were painted a dark royal blue! Talk about "sucking the light out of rooms"!! At least the main bathroom is a cream color now!
1 Like   July 15, 2012 at 6:01AM
ikwewe
ourfarmhouse, that was a ton of decorating and some rebuilding, and with TRIPLETS! Amazing. I saw the before pix and thought 'this looks pretty good, hope they don't rip out all the character' but you went right with that character and made it even better.
5 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 6:42AM
Maury Jones
Exterior makeover of a ranch

The owners wanted to update the curb appeal of their ranch style home. The home is located in the flatlands of Illinois (Frankfort) and looked very flat with the surrounding landscape.

The addition of gables, stone, and prairie style windows now make this home rise above the country landscape!
24 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 7:03AM
ikke
This was my blue bathroom. I wanted to get rid of the clutter and tranqualize my bathroom with the right colors. I extracted them from the floor tile colours to put everything in balance. The sinkcabinet I made myself.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 7:27AM
ikwewe
Ya know, ikke, I Love turquoise, but that bathroom is too eyepopping by far. Love the change, and that you kept the sink and countertop. Is that a terrazzo floor?
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 7:33AM
ikke
those are tiles
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 7:44AM
ikke
And from another direction. I'm so proud!
5 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 7:52AM
lpierson58
My project was completed in July 2009. I'd forgotten just how much my landscaping has grown in these past three years! The most current pic was taken this morning. I just finished trimming back my knockout roses yesterday morning, so no blooms. :(
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 7:59AM
Nob Hill Design - Allied ASID
30 Year Old Kitchen Remodel by Nob Hill Design
www.nobhilldesign.com
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 8:57AM
lisaj1354
First floor bathroom. It was hideous - complete with a pink, non-working plastic bath surround and falling down ceiling fan.

Before:
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 9:20AM
lwaylett
Love our new stone fireplace! If you look beyond the fireplace you'll see walls and soffits now all gone! Sure opens everything up!
8 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 9:22AM
lisaj1354
And after...with a combo ceiling fan/heater that keeps this freezing room nice and toasty. My contractor was fabulous.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 9:23AM
sas912
I bought a 1925 house on South Beach that had been neglected for many, many years. It took some time, but gradually, I worked to restore it to a semblance of what it was before.
16 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 9:37AM
ikwewe
Sas, lucky you! She has beautiful bones. We are working on a neglected house along Indian River, but it is much more plain. Are the two pix on the bottom the before and after of the same room?
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 9:39AM
sas912
Yep. Before and After living room just taken facing different directions. I had the plaster beams and the concrete fireplace painted in a faux finish to look like wood and I added cheap tall baseboards which were painted the same faux finish; then I painted the detailed moldings with a sort of a "French" finish to add some depth so the details of the plaster work would pop out. The window in the After photo was custom made to replicate the original window design which had been replaced and hidden by the cheap aluminum windows the prior owner had put in.
3 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 10:31AM
Beverly
Hey Betty, regarding painting formica countertops. I used a product called Giani Granite. It comes w/a sealer. However, after a year, there were some scratches. I sanded it, touched up the places and resealed it w/Hellsman clear polyurathane. Now, it's pretty indestructable. Still love it.
3 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 11:32AM
ikwewe
Thank you, Beverly. I just tuned into Giani's website and watched the how-to video, very inspiring. I may try that, if I can seal up the damaged spots successfully. http://gianigranite.com/learnhowcountertoppaint.html
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 11:58AM
haitisarah
We've worked on five houses for us and four of the kids.

Here's the before on our house, a couple during, and now. When we bought it, it was for sale as a "tear down", but it had good bones.
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 1:08PM
haitisarah
Here's our second effort: a little cottage in our backyard. It was totally gutted, so there was less to tear out. We called this one "the gang clubhouse" because of the graffiti on the walls and its reputation in the the neighborhood.
7 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 1:25PM
haitisarah
This third house is for our daughter and her family. We called it "the meth lab" when we first saw it. While we were renovating, we found (among other things) a very large snake carcass coiled around one of the roof vents.
6 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 1:45PM
ikwewe
Wow, Sarah, it looks like you are really adding value to some neighborhoods!
3 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 1:47PM
maryjeanparker
Here are some pictures of our house remodel. The ones that say "Before" and "After" are our house. The really fancy house at the bottom is not ours, ha ha. http://overtoncustomconstruction.com/remodels.htm
1 Like   July 15, 2012 at 1:50PM
haitisarah
House number four is for another daughter, and we're still working on it. Outside, we've tamed the climbing rose and worked on the porch and added a dormer. Inside, we still have the stairway, living room, office and front powder room to finish. It was gutted down to the studs when we bought it.
9 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 2:01PM
haitisarah
House number five is, alas, just getting started. It's the stone house we've posted for ideas, so we have dreams of a beautiful house, but right now we're in the mess stage of gutting the interior. It is for our youngest son to live in for three years while he's in that town for college. So far, my before photos would be obscured by an out-of-control wisteria and piles of trash. My after photo would just look tidier, but like we have an unbelievable amount of work ahead of us. Want to take a peek? This is not for the faint of heart. There are nice trees....
7 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 2:16PM
mousemaker
my kitchen before and after
1 Like   July 15, 2012 at 3:31PM
digidana
how do you post a pic in here?
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 3:41PM
mousemaker
sorry, here's the afters
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 3:42PM
HI Digidana, You can attach it to your post. Just click the attach images link.
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 3:55PM
digidana
found it! wow, sorry, it doesn't appear til you click on the box...i was looking everywhere!

here's the new dining room. we knocked down the wall on the left and opened it up to the hearthroom, changed the little window to a sliding door for more light and access to the deck, raised the ceiling a bit, etc. the kitchen is next!
7 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:44PM
digidana
a different angle...
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 15, 2012 at 5:46PM
digidana
here's the hearthroom before, during, and after.
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:49PM
digidana
took down the paneling, new drywall, opened up the wall and arched it. saved the old doors to make a new coat closet.
7 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:53PM
digidana
the "green" bedroom. removed the carpet, new drywall on back wall that was paneling. the whole rest of the room was wallpapered, even the ceiling. we discovered why when we were removing it. apparently the roof head leaked at one point so some of the drywall was crumbling. new drywall, take out the lovely green shag, repainting....and we made the headboard.
2 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 5:58PM
haitisarah
Ikwewe, yes, the neighbors near all of the houses love us. One of the most gratifying experiences has been to have the children of former owners come by. They tell us their stories as they walk through and are so glad to have the houses be a real home again.
4 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 6:39PM
Leslie Kreger
Before and Afters of the 1968 traditional two storey we recently renovated....
Exterior and Living Room:
4 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 7:13PM
Leslie Kreger
Dining Room & Stairway/Foyer:
9 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 7:16PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Sometimes even a mild reconfiguration of items and a change in materials can transform a out of date room into a stunning transformation. We were able to basically just change out the outdated cabinetry and plumbing fixtures and add a few new items to transfor this "builder special" into a Serene Bathroom Retreat. This is a great example of "Budget Friendly High Impact Design".

Thanks for allowing me to share some photos with the group.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
3 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 8:47AM
Space Harmony
Before/After Bathrooms
5 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 9:09AM
Space Harmony
Before/after Kitchen
4 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 9:10AM
Space Harmony
Before/After Entrance and Corridor
4 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 9:11AM
Space Harmony
Before/After Bedroom
3 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 9:12AM
Space Harmony
Before/After Condo Styling
5 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 9:16AM
Savena Doychinov, CKD/Design Studio International
Dear Emily, so glad you asked! Please visit our website (link on my profile page) and here, just in case: www.customkitchenandbathdesign.com . Check out our Before and After section - you'll see some truly amazing transformations of kitchens and baths.
Last year, I received the 2011 NKBA Design Award for Best Before & After Kitchen. This project is represented by 4 Before and 4 After photos. And earlier this year, Houzz.com awarded me one of the the Best of 2012 Award for Bathroom Design in DC Metro area.
This bathroom (5' X 7.5') is a size familiar to millions of homeowners and they really like what I was able to achieve in that space. It has been put in many ideabooks and it has also won the 2011 NKBA Baltimore / Washington chapter Design Award for Best in Class Small Bath. Please feel free to drag the Before and After photos for the above and any of the other projects in that section if you want to show them in this discussion or to call me / email me with any questions you may have. Thank you for this opportunity to
show you some of our work!
3 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 10:16AM
colbyjayne
When a tenant in our friend's rental unit did not inform him of a water leak, we went in later to find an extensive amount of mold, ruined floors and water soaked cabinets. Our friend decided it was a blessing in disguise and gave us the opportunity to design a new kitchen (among other things) for him! We turned the little kitchen into a galley kitchen and took it down to studs. We think it turned out pretty good :) Here are the before
0 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 11:42AM
colbyjayne
And here are the afters
7 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 11:47AM
Awesome transformation! That's a great update.
1 Like   July 16, 2012 at 11:47AM
colbyjayne
These before pictures aren't that good, but the after is pretty good :)
0 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 12:08PM
colbyjayne
And the afters. We're not designers, so judge accordingly :)
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 16, 2012 at 12:13PM
I like it!! I think you created a great space here!
0 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 2:42PM
Get Back JoJo
Before left //After Right
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    July 16, 2012 at 3:06PM
Get Back JoJo
Niche before///Niche after:custom bar and storage
2 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 3:10PM
Get Back JoJo
Dull closet Before//AFTER: proper Genlteman's wardrobe custom closet
3 Likes   July 16, 2012 at 3:12PM
Esther We
I purchased my 1970 split level with a view in 2005. Since then have made many updates to the home including a 50 year architectial roof, seamless aluminum gutters, triple pane windows, new paint, and a revision of the current deck structure which includes Trex Transcends Decking and Clearview Glass Railing. We love our home's new look and it gives us a reason to be outdoors more now.
8 Likes   July 17, 2012 at 6:19PM
Beverly
Before Dining room makeover. Typical matchy, matchy big box dining room set.
After- favorite piece, is the early 1900's sideboard.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 4, 2012 at 4:47AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Here is an example of how a different countertop and accessories can really change the feel of a room.
I had the please of designing this kitchen and istalling the original kitchen with green corian countertops.
I also had the pleasure of redoing the countertops with Golden Granite and
changed out a few accessories which added to the new granite color and completely changed the feel of the kitchen.
This is also a great example of "budget friendly high impact design".

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home.
0 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 8:37AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Here's the Golden Granite pictures.
Amazing what just new counters and accessories can do.
2 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 9:31AM
mpoulsom
DIY JOB;
the before and afters of the kitchen, but you can't see all the details from different angles....there is shelving on the inside of the bar and the trash can space. Also 2 shelves on the living area side of the bar. we did all the work ourselves except the bamboo flooring. had a professional do that. but the total cost of this renovation has been right around $3000. Still looking for the stainless steel frig that will replace the white one. This includes flooring, appliances (stove/dishwasher), paint, carpentry/wood, cement countertops, lighting, hardware for cabinets, sink and faucet, backsplash, and electrical switches/plugs....yes, there was blood, sweat and tears involved, but i think for 2 poor artists we did okay for the money! :)
0 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:13AM
Hi mpoulsom, having trouble with photos attaching? Are they jpegs? If not, try saving them as jpegs, then uploading.
0 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:20AM
mpoulsom
oops sorry....the AFTERs didn't download! :) here are the AFTERS hopefully and i hope you can tell what's before and after! HA!
10 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:27AM
mpoulsom
thank you emily! i'm kind of technologically challenged....but i got some AFTERS up after all! BTW, I have pretty much a whole house of befores/afters, but still finishing up some things. This house was in pretty rough shape and had never been updated, but it had good bones and I saw a lot of potential. hopefully it will be an inspiration for some DIYers....not that i'm opposed to professional help at all. professional help is the greatest when you can afford it and/or don't have the time! kudos to all the designers/decorators/contractors/architects out there! (i'm a professional artist/designer myself....so i don't want anyone to get the impression that they are not needed and appreciated greatly!
3 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:36AM
Looks beautiful!! Love it! You know, if you have more transformations to share, you can always feel free to start new discussions about them to give them their own discussion threads. It's super helpful to see those kinds of before and afters from people. So fun!
0 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:49AM
mpoulsom
thank you...... you are too kind! :)
0 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 11:53AM
PoshHaus
what an awesome thread!
3 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 12:28PM
nancy_c
Updating an unsafe, very old, wood-burning fireplace to gas.
4 Likes   August 8, 2012 at 5:34PM
garden3
We live in a 1000 square foot cabin on an island with no hydro or electricity. All of our power comes from solar or a diesel generator. Our water is pumped from a well 40 ft above us on a cliff.. We sit out on another cliff over the pacific ocean.... But the kitchen needed updating :)

http://www.houzz.com/projects/69044/Before-and-After-Cabin-Kitchen-Reno
2 Likes   August 10, 2012 at 7:40PM
mjcmartin
Before / after in our family room. The bar used to be in another room that we didn't use much, and this bookcase was redundant. We had plenty of shelf space elsewhere. The kitchen is behind this wall, so the new bar now is very close to the center of the action.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 12, 2012 at 3:06AM
mpoulsom
Moirapar, you guys did a fantastic job! I absolutely love it! :)
0 Likes   August 13, 2012 at 9:11AM
Moirapar, really beautifully done!

Mjcmartin, Love what you did!
1 Like   August 13, 2012 at 9:40AM
Studio NOO Design
Before and after !
6 Likes   August 13, 2012 at 10:08AM
Wow. Really lovely.
0 Likes   August 13, 2012 at 10:28AM
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
This open floor plan allows for great entertaining. The contemporary/transitional design incorporates accessory pieces client had previously and loved.

Photographed by Kelly Povo
kellypovo.com
1 Like   August 21, 2012 at 1:49PM
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
This larger living room was divided by placing sofas back to back. Her area has a fireplace as a focal point for relaxing with girlfriends in front of the fire. Comfortable for hours of conversation. His area has a large screen television prefect for watching the sports he loves.

Photographed by Kelly Povo
kellypovo.com
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 1:52PM
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
This traditional family room invites conversation with family and friends. Mixing pattern with pattern adds interest to a functional room.

Photographed by Kelly Povo
kellypovo.com
1 Like   August 21, 2012 at 1:53PM
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
Working with the clients color palette, I created a cozy conversation area with extra dining and a place for their card club to gather.

Photographed by Kelly Povo
kellypovo.com
4 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 1:55PM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
The charming couple with this beautifully renovated farmhouse choose a dramatic waterfall and pond for front entrance . .
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2012 at 2:07PM
Transforming Rooms
For hundreds of before & after photos, or unique solutions on limited budgets, see the photos at http://www.interiordesigngreensboro.com/search?q=how+to+add+color
or http://www.interiordesigngreensboro.com
and http://www.transformingrooms.com

Example shown here - this homeowner couldn't afford a kitchen remodel or new kitchen cabinets, so the designer updated the look by relocating the microwave, updating the stove, adding tile, home depot lights, and a window valance for color. There are hundreds of solutions.

When you're on the blog, you can search for your area of interest by typing words in the UPPER LEFT corner on the blog, examples "recover sofa" or "how to add color" or "window treatment ideas" or "how to layout furniture". WOW, great tips!
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2012 at 3:00PM
rollifam
Master Bath sink area-- we raised the existing countertop, added trim and paint to existing cabinet, and installed built in medicine cabinets. Just realized this isn't the "final" after. We have since made the fake top drawers into real drawers and added off-white crackle finish hardware.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 11, 2012 at 6:51PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
I love all the postings and pictures big and small!
As a designer it is always great to see how proud everyone is of their renovation projects.

Congratulations to you all!

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
1 Like   September 12, 2012 at 7:25AM
Mary DeGidio_Koenig
I have a before and after...my bar in our family room that we use every day practically and company loves to sit there while we serve snacks and drinks!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 17, 2012 at 5:33PM
Mary DeGidio_Koenig
The old bar top had a dated wood with a mold piece on the edge...the new granite really updated the bar and looks sharp.
0 Likes   September 17, 2012 at 5:35PM
julietandnikki
before and after of my kitchen.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 23, 2012 at 6:27AM
Dan Paris
Massive Renovation to 100 Yr Old Beauty - The only things we kept were the stained glass window, the wood framing and concrete foundation. Everything else is new. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/199111/Massive-Renovation-to-100-Yr-Old-Beauty--
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 23, 2012 at 12:54PM
luv2cruz41
Our b4 & after still amazes us!
16 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 23, 2012 at 6:49PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Your job is worth being amazed over!
Congratulations.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
1 Like   September 24, 2012 at 11:19AM
mpoulsom
luv2cruz41.....that is crazy! would never have known it was the same place! cha-ching! :) looks fabulous!
1 Like   September 24, 2012 at 12:34PM
luv2cruz41
Thank you so much! In person it is so much different than seeing it on paper. It really was a total transformation.We really love it and still can't believe that it was aggravation free! We were expecting a nitemare! Love seeing everyones before and afters! Amazing what you can do! I also love trim details! Now we have to decide what color shutters to use. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
1 Like   September 24, 2012 at 4:13PM
PoshHaus
Love the green backsplash.
0 Likes   September 24, 2012 at 5:44PM
Joan D
Emily, you got me to finally post photos of our before/after listed as an 1850 Cart House Transformation, Part 1 and, same title, Part 2 in the Before and After discussion thread. Check it out! Joan
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 4:55PM
M&R
We have a small DIY project to share. We could not expand the space, so we had to make do with the tiny footprint.
3 Likes   September 30, 2012 at 11:26AM
M&R
The back wall of the new tub/shower. (not quite complete)
While we know that it doesn't hold a candle to the beautiful spaces that we see here, we are happy with the results in our tiny cottage.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/205515/Bathroom-update
2 Likes   September 30, 2012 at 11:39AM
jaynesachs
Before & After of our kitchen renovation, designed around a salvaged door.
We bought a foreclosed house and needed to take on what we felt was an awkward kitchen With 12 ft. ceilings, we wanted to warm up the space and bring in an old world feel. The kitchen didn't have a pantry so we searched long and hard for a salvaged door to be the door for a new pantry. The kitchen then got designed around the look of this door which has all original hand forged straps. Everything seemed to flow from there. We now need to complete the look with the right assessories, but need to drink a few glasses of wine in the new kitchen before taking on any more challenges!
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 3, 2012 at 7:58PM
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 4, 2012 at 12:48PM
Chuck B. Edwards - Breckon Land Design
Wow - there are some great before and after pics here! Here are a couple of ours!
7 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 1:28PM
lwaylett
1995 Kitchen to 2012 Kitchen - Before we had the darker colors and lower ceilings with brown wood cabinets. After we have much lighter brighter colors, raised ceiling and granite counters. Also before, the formal dining area was "boxed " in partial walls and there were several entries in and out of areas. After, we removed the "box," raised the ceilings, and made every area open to the next. Totally open concept now and flows very nicely. Now I just need help to decorate the tops of my new kitchen cabinets! :-)
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 22, 2012 at 3:59PM
advikid
Here's a before & after of our cottage - added a roof over the front door and Hardy plank siding. We love it!
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 29, 2012 at 8:37PM
Solena Landscape
Here is a 'Before & After' of a small Huntington Beach, Ca backyard.
Designer Mitch Kalamian mixes Asian with Contemporary to match the remodel on this mid-century house and make the yard feel even bigger that it is.
8 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:28PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Amazing space! It's had to believe that it's the same size. It looks 10 times larger.
Great renovation.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 8:17PM
Travis Robert Renovations
BEFORE/ AFTER : NJ Kitchen/Family room Renovation.

This renovation included multiple walls that were removed to create an open living space... As well as a family room renovation, kitchen update, new lighting, trim, and hardwood.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:01PM
astraea
@Travis - So where were you when I lived in Bergen County? (LOL) Now in Monmouth .. but up on a hill!
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 12:11PM
Travis Robert Renovations
@Astraea - Thanks for your interest in Travis Robert Renovations!! We hope your enjoying Monmouth...
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:55PM
mjkhm
Still a work in progress, but it is getting there! Before and After!
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 2, 2012 at 4:35PM
mpoulsom
DIY fireplace makeover....1968 ranch...brick to painted brick(temp fix) to final redo. We call it the Jenga Fireplace. It is made of smaller cuts of poplar wood pieced together and a concrete slab on hearth.
Please excuse christmas clutter.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 3, 2012 at 12:44PM
mjkhm
Kitchen before and after...we used existing cabinets.
14 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 3, 2012 at 1:20PM
These latest posts are great!! Be sure to start your own discussion thread by posting them using the question widget at the top of the page. Select "Before and After" as the category! Great work!!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 1:49PM
Iyare I
Cheapest update yet. Wanted to create a more inviting guest bedroom so I took out the dark, witchy looking bedding and drapery and replaced them with white bedding and window treatments. It definitely gives the room an airier feel and the bed looks very inviting everytime I go in the room
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 3:24PM
Iyare I
Before Houzz, black was my safe zone. Its really hard to go wrong with black you know. But after being on houzz for almost a year and logging on faithfully everyday just to read up and learn new things, I was finally challenged to do step away from my comfort zone and try something I knew I really wanted but was scared to do. I have a colorful personality but my living room where I entertain didnt reflect this because I went safe. With some great feedback from houzz, I made a change and it might not be to everyone's taste but I love the way it turned out. Everyone who has seen it in person says that they love it and dont know many people wo would be able to pull it off but its so me :)

I think that last statement is the best compliment

It still needs a little tweaking... I need to mount my speakers and I would like to find some better fitting window treatments but if I do nothing else, Im still satisfied :)
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 6, 2012 at 3:33PM
astraea
@Lyare l: I bought a house where several rooms were painted a royal blue .. too dark for me, and the BR I turned into a guest room also has a huge painted baseball mural for a boy! What a difference when I had it painted BM's "Pale Teal", and filled it with white wicker & a few paisley pieces! Before on the left & after on the right.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 4:56PM
This property was a fun project to work on - the tree had to go and the patio area needed some TLC. This was the nicest couple - they had 4 small ones who loved outdoor play time - to that end, the project outcome fills objective now and for years to come.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/265702/_msg=WW91ciBwb3N0IHdhcyBzdWNjZXNzZnVsbHkgYWRkZWQgdG8gdGhlIERpc2N1c3Npb25zIHNlY3Rpb24u/A-tree-dominated-patio-area-becomes-family
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:48AM
Needed to ad photos in last post - I'm a bit goofy in the tech side!
6 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 10:00AM
egerrard
Here is a before and after of a fairly inexpensive kitchen remodel.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 31, 2012 at 7:51AM
Leah Witmond
Before: The entrance didn't look bad, and we'd been happy with it for years, but now I needed space to park my mobility scooter.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:58AM
Leah Witmond
After some hard work, we've got a better looking entrance with parking space for my Spazmobile.
Here's the link to my idea book which details what we've done:
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:04AM
malarkey
Kitchen Before & After. Quite a difference!
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:17AM
jheneerwin
Garage Before and after. For more images and a backstory to the Roger Hatton Memorial Mud Room go to http://digdeepfinishwell.com/2012/06/12/roger-hatton-memorial-mudroom-13/
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    January 1, 2013 at 9:45AM
Marilyn Wilkie
We redid our kitchen in 2010 and did most of the work ourselves. We tore out a wall and 3 closets to enlarge it and added a skylight.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:14PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Here are a couple of other "before" photos.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:30PM
dowbright
What a great thread! Thanks, everybody.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:29PM
It's great to see that so many people want to improve their homes!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:13AM
WineRacks.com
Here's a before and after of a wine cellar we did. You can see more of our work at WineRacks.com. No space is too small to be remodeled!
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:47AM
savtasandy
Before kitchen was basically black and white. White dated cupboards , black and white checkered back splash, black linoleum marbled with white, fluorescent tray ceiling with plastic diffuser.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:49PM
savtasandy
New kitchen was done by refacing existing cabinetry. NuLife Kitchens in Winnipeg, Canada did the work. They made several new sets of drawers and retrofitted the cabinetry where the microwave used to live. Our upper cabinetry is Antique Whitewash and our bottom Cabinets are Wenge. The countertop is Oyster Caesarstone, the sink is Biscotti Siligranit , the back splash is a taupe ceramic tile in shiny and matte fingers that interlock. The floor is vinyl plank Evolve flooring in a bleached maple. Our proudest update is the tray ceiling which is rounded at the edges to echo the profile of our cabinetry. It now houses a beautiful drum fixture.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    January 6, 2013 at 7:05PM
digidana
The pictures aren't the greatest, my camera is terrible, but here is the before and after on the living room. We coffered the ceiling, replaced an old sliding door with french, built out the fireplace about a foot (it was only abut 16" deep) and covered it in granite and wood. built the shelves up and made them match the fireplace. Took down a wall between the living room and stairs. Buh bye paneling and carpeting. The flooring is what was under the carpeting. Floors will eventually be redone with the rest of them after we finish the kitchen. New light fixtures
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    January 23, 2013 at 5:57AM
digidana
the ceiling before and after
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:10AM
Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
Before photo (top left): Try not stubbing your toe during a midnight snack run in this dark, obstacle course of a kitchen!
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 1, 2013 at 7:12AM
WineRacks.com
Before/After: a before and after view of a wine cellar room we recently did. The wine racks are made of unfinished mahogany and are made right here in our warehouse in NY. We also offer free custom design and white glove delivery/install
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:25AM
savtasandy
This is an update with better photos of the before and after of our kitchen Reno. See other longer description above in this blog. The photographer is Michael Roberts in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. http://www.dualityphoto.com/
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 10:20PM
gabybrad
New ensuit bathroom. Turned out even better than expected and somehow feels bigger even though we have added a bath and larger shower area.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:07AM
digidana
nice! i was looking at that slate last night. i think too much can be overpowering and busy, but it looks great in there. i love the sink also!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:04AM
gabybrad
Thanks. Not sure if you are UK or US but its all high street suppliers and done on a modest budget. Www.bathstore.co.uk for all fittings, Tile Giant for tiles both did good discount on negotiation. amtico flooring is from a discount warehouse in Wales who are about 70% less than usual stockists. Good luck with your project.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:13AM
Main Line Kitchen Design
Here is a great before to after stop action video transformation:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/352641/211-second-stop-action-video-of-kitchen-renovation
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 2:58PM
Impression Concrete Elements
Here is a job I completed on a laminate counter-top with decorative concrete stained and sealed with epoxy. This job was completed in Kansas City.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:32PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Main Link, that was great! Thanks.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 5:03PM
Shelley Sims/Thrive Design
Before
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:26PM
Shelley Sims/Thrive Design
After
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 5:30PM
Kavanya Designs LLC
Before - Master bath
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:08PM
Kavanya Designs LLC
After - Master Bath
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:11PM
Kavanya Designs LLC
BEFORE - Guest Bath
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:13PM
Kavanya Designs LLC
AFTER = Guest bath
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 15, 2013 at 11:22PM
Elisa
My Bathroom, a complete DIY project!

From Blah (blue) to Ahhh (spa) :)
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/361889/Bathroom-Renovation---Before---After

On to the kitchen now........

Elisa
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 21, 2013 at 2:40PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Here is a great kitchen transformation that shows how you can totally change the look of your kitchen WITHOUT adding an addition or relocating everything in the kitchen. With proper planning and a good designer, you can achieve a GREAT kitchen remodel and by using "Budget Friendly High Impact" products you will achieve a magazine quality project that won't beak the bank.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 23, 2013 at 4:10PM
PoshHaus
WOW! Truly amazing transformation.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:36AM
Joanne H
It is still a work in progress, but i am enjoying it, oops sorry about the dble of the one pic
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:04AM
Joanne H
this was the one i was trying to upload
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:08AM
digidana
huge difference! very nice! we're working on ours now. can't wait to have an "after" pic! :0) how long did it take you? any learning experiences you could share?
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
jnb1711
Our old circa 1980's kitchen was not very functional for us. We essentially removed it and started from the floor up. Houzz has been a great source of inspiration for us. We love seeing before and after pictures and we thought it may be fun to post our own.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:25AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Thanks for the compliment digidana,
This kitchen was part of an entire first floor renovation.
The kitchen portion took about 8 weeks from demolition to completion.
If I can give you any advise it would be in my expert opinion to carefully chose all your materials and check the compatibility to all other items being used in your project BEFORE starting the project.
This will allow you to work out any complications before construction or mechanical change begin.
Also, if you are working with a contractor, please include him in on all your products and layouts so he can make the needed suggestions or modifications to your project BEFORE he gives you a final quote.

Finally, if you are dealing with a designer, try to provide them or have them help you with an accurate project budget. This will allow them to guide you in the right direction as far as material and labor costs are concerned. They will also be able to control the layout that is best for your budget.

Please feel free to see more of our "Budget Friendly High Impact Designs" at www.interiortrend.com
or look at our Houzz profile page.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your project.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:26AM
jnb1711
Here is our finished project. The placement of the appliances works much better. The addition on a bench allowed us to increase our seating within the kitchen. It was a lot of work but we are so pleased...
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 25, 2013 at 12:00PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Hello jnb1711,
Great job! Love the choice of cabinet color and wall paint combination.
The dark table and oil rubbed light fixture add a great contrast.
I especially like the bar stools. The light fabric goes well and the dark wood is a great accent.
Where did you get the Barstools?

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:28PM
jnb1711
We lucked out in finding those bar stools in a store called HomeSense here in Canada. It was one of those stores that if you see it and like it you need to buy it then...otherwise it may not be available again. Thank you for your comments.
Your company/business has had some remarkable transformations as well. Very inspiring!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:56PM
4isablessing
@jnb1711, is the wall where the stove is flanked by two openings?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:52AM
jnb1711
@4isablessing...yes our stove is flanked by 2 openings. There is a hall on the left to go to the front entrance hall and the one on the right with a glass door to go to the formal dining room. Our kitchen had to contend with 3 doors in total, 2 windows, and an opening to the family room.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:43PM
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Townhome kitchen before and after, contemporary and open concept after.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    February 28, 2013 at 12:51PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Hi Houzz contributor's,
Here is a mild master bathroom transformation, which included new finishes and fixtures without all the cost of major mechanical moves. This allowed our client to put the money into the products and not the construction. The staff at Renaissance Kitchen and Home also used "Budget Friendly High Impact products" to give this project a Magazine quality bathroom and control the total costs.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 4, 2013 at 2:17PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Torry Manzo, very pretty. I'm liking the wallpaper. Very feminine space and I like the fact that you thought about their budget.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 3:05PM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Thanks Marilyn,
The first thing a good designer does is think about the client's budget, that sets the stage for their design.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 7:19PM
Shalini Ganguli
Before pics www.shalinistyle.blogspot.in and www.Facebook.com/donetheshaliniway
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 1:34PM
Shalini Ganguli
After pics
Www.shalinistyle.blogspot.in
Www.facebook.com/donetheshaliniway
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 7, 2013 at 1:40PM
Shearer Painting & Wonderfulcolors.org
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 10:49PM
Shearer Painting & Wonderfulcolors.org
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 11:15PM
huberhouse1886
Shearer Painting. Wonderful job. What paint do you recommend? We have a similar DIY project in SW Missouri--bringing the whole exterior down to bare wood. Each completed section brings satisfaction. What paint do you recommend? We are using a boiled purified linseed from overseas, but we are plagued with mildew on it.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 11:36AM
Overland Remodeling & Builders
Before (2 left), After (2 right)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 8, 2013 at 12:53PM
Overland Remodeling & Builders
Landscape, Hardscape, patio cover with roman columns
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:15PM
Shearer Painting & Wonderfulcolors.org
H1886...you can email directly happy to help but want to drill down re: linseed oil and mildew.
John@shearerpainting.com
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 10:30PM
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 11:09AM
Murals by Morgan
There is nothing like a well placed, well painted, mural!
Before - My client's apartment window looked out onto the side of a neighbor's garage: a big, blank wall.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 2:45PM
Murals by Morgan
After- Now she has a blooming, low maintenance garden to look out onto while she eats her breakfast!
3 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 2:48PM
ecci
Handcrafted natural wall panels that deliver the look and feel of raw nature into your home. Look here for the endless possibilities: http://eccidesign.com/?utm_source=analytics&utm_medium=online&utm_campaign=vp4
2 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 2:50PM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Rear Exterior / Porch Remodel BEFORE

Here's a home we've remodeled. They wanted to open up and add more space to their back porch.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 11:02AM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Rear Exterior / Porch Remodel AFTER

And here's the after! Their open-air porch really extends their space and makes it a little more of an everyday escape.
2 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 11:06AM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Lakeside Home Remodel BEFORE

Here's one of our other favorite remodels. You can really see the difference a change makes.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 11:08AM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Lakeside Home Remodel AFTER

Those open, flowing spaces make such a big difference. New floors, more windows and better lighting really help to makeover a tired, dull space.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 21, 2013 at 11:11AM
cwgreen19
Dining room before
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 21, 2013 at 7:37PM
cwgreen19
Dining room after
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 21, 2013 at 7:37PM
Steven Corley Randel, Architect
0 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 8:04PM
Lauren M
Kitchen
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 28, 2013 at 8:30PM
trishg51
Like this size kitchen and breakfast area
0 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 11:19PM
Stacy Hebb
Before & After Beach House: Home lifted out of flood zone then remodeled with a second story and wraparound porch on the first floor.
5 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 1:15PM
Stacy Hebb
I need to give credit for the Design above to Bay Area Design and the Builder Don Stroebel in Tampa Bay
1 Like   June 12, 2013 at 1:25PM
digidana
amazing transformation! i never would have guessed that it was the same house! inside pics?
1 Like   June 12, 2013 at 2:15PM
mglassne
Recently finished updating the interior of my 1700 sf split level...kitchen before and after
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 16, 2013 at 4:37PM
Linly Designs
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:35AM
bob_hebb
Nice
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:29AM
L Star Murals
Poolside renovation with a mural by @LStarMurals
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 1:08AM
Mark
I acquired an old french sette and a set of four oval cane back french chairs in desperate need of some work. I painted all the pieces a color that would blend in with my other décor. The settee and two of the chairs I upholstered in a cream fabric and I added skirts to the bottom so I didn't have all these leggy pieces in my sitting room.The settee had nail heads so I removed them and chose a double cording for trim for a softer look. I made throw cushions in coordinating fabrics. I wish I had a picture of the table before but I painted that too and popped off the wood top and had a glass top made so that it would remain airy and wouldn't feel too formal. I love the look I achieved and it was so rewarding to be able to repurpose old furniture that would have probably ended up in a dump somewhere.
3 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 6:16AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Great job Mark. Looks beautiful.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 8:42AM
julie77777
Mark - wow you are very talented!! That is amazing! Thanks for sharing with us.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 10:22AM
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Master Bedroom and Formal Living Room B&A's: The goal was to brighten and modernize.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2013 at 7:46AM
Daniel, great job! You've succeeded admirably. What a beautiful, elegant bedroom! You have curated a great collection of furnishings, art and accessories and created a space I'm sure your clients love to be in.
3 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:36AM
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Thank you Savena. I am quite proud of the project and yes, the clients were THRILLED. I really appreciate your kind words.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 8:39AM
You're very welcome, Daniel! I'm always trilled to see exceptional design and this bedroom certainly is a great example of it. And I'm happy to recognize such achievements as they beautifully illustrate the importance of great design.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:54AM
Mark
@Daniel Dionne Designs.... Daniel is an amazing designer, I'm not a bit surprised if we see his work in one of the top ten design magazines in the near future !
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 12:49PM
Fenstermann LLC
Here are some using our shades, sorry about the small before pictures.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 2:54PM
Douglas Bailey
A Doug Bailey Construction Remodel. Find us on Facebook!
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 5:39AM
Douglas Bailey
Doug Bailey Construction
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 5:40AM
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Before and After- Curb Appeal
5 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 6:14AM
mefor
How about this?
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 6:38AM
bluenan
Wow, mforr! I love how your toilet had a little window of its own. What vision you must have had to see the potential.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 9:29AM
mefor
That was the outdoor shower, there was just a thin cement board for wall in shower, when it was removed you could see that the beadboard behind "recessed" toilet was just sort glued against the cement board. Can you imagine if the people who used to live there sat on the toilet too hard, wham!!! You're outside in the shower!!!
I think it's great that there were two windows that looked into shower, just in case you wanted to put on a peep show, lol.
Vision or insanity, bluenan? :)
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 9:37AM
bluenan
Hilarious...and I'm sure a lot of both!
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 9:50AM
mefor
Thanks... I think? ;)
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 9:51AM
Shannon Ley
http://houzz.com/discussions/530782
Post of our 50's ranch house bathrooms update on a budget
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 6:47PM
quatorze
Absolutely! Your cabinet looks great. I saw a photo once on Houzz where someone painted a highboy (most likely an old repro and not a genuine antique) in pink. Sounds awful, I know, but it actually made the room.

I took the cue and painted a tired and scratched up old Chippendale style tea table for my mother's white and yellow bedroom. It was the perfect size for a bedside table. Before anyone says anything, the yellow is subtler in real life...
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 25, 2013 at 2:21PM
Kajal Maharaj
Here's my old living room with those horrific cables all over the place. And the nicest way to hide them with a feature.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 26, 2013 at 3:16AM
Sandy
Is it too late for project update photos? Here are some before and afters of my living room. I also have a little blog called "The Delightful Eclectic Abode" www.delightfuleclecticabode.com

There are lots of pictures on my livingroom makeover post: http://www.delightfuleclecticabode.com/my-blog/2013/07/coastal-cottage-chic-living-room-makeover.html
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 9:42PM
Sandy
Here are some better before and after photos. Before the accent walls were red. The new room is what I call Coastal Cottage Chic. I wanted to feel like I was at Tybee Island in a cozy cottage by the sea all year round!
3 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 9:53PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Wonderful transformation. I love your new living room...totally impossible for our lifestyle with three dogs and two cats...but I love what you have done.
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 5:57AM
WineRacks.com
Sandy, what a change. It looks gorgeous!
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 7:07AM
blondieski
90's bathroom remodel - totally gutted - got rid of garden tub and made huge walk-in marble shower - this is the BEFORE - we had already riipped the floor out (started to demo when we realized we needed to take a "before" pic) - the next pic is the "AFTER" (some after pics where taken before new lights and wall paper) I need to take some pics again since it is completely done - we are too busy lovin' it! ) :-)
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 7:50AM
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
blondieski,
Great bathroom remodel. Really like the corner shower. Is the window operable? Can you share a photo of the inside view of the shower?

Thanks for sharing this great accomplishment.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
0 Likes   August 1, 2013 at 4:32PM
blondieski
Renaissance Kitchen - here are a few pics of the inside of the shower as requested. the window is not operable
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 8:53AM
Kay Till
BEFORE (pink with old fixtures and hummingbird wallpaper trim?!?) and AFTER (calm, blue, updated)
1 Like   August 2, 2013 at 8:59AM
blondieski
tony, here is one more pic with some more detail......
0 Likes   August 2, 2013 at 12:38PM
WineRacks.com
Before and after wine cellar. This beautiful cellar is made up of the five foot combo 2 in mahogany which you can find right on WineRacks.com: http://bit.ly/14idE75

The install was done by our professional team though
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 8:19AM
mousemaker
blondieski, love the kitty!!
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 3:23PM
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Here is another Before and After for your question
3 Likes   August 7, 2013 at 5:46PM
Thomas Wakeman
Before and after low budget apartment renovation
3 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 6:00AM
Thomas Wakeman
...continued
3 Likes   August 8, 2013 at 6:03AM
Walker Woodworking
These are some great pictures of a kitchen transformation!
1 Like   August 14, 2013 at 11:42AM
Settled Home
A Before and After dining room. The beautiful paneled walls, many of the beams and the fireplace surround had been covered with paint which took many weeks to uncover.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 11:08AM
Settled Home
Before. The wall paper and poor lighting made this second floor hall dated and dark. The owners wanted to replace the laminate flooring with regular hardwood.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:21AM
Settled Home
After. We removed the wallpaper,installed new lighting and replaced the laminate floor with oak.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:24AM
mpoulsom
wow settled home! great job and a lot of love went into those transformations!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
Settled Home, you helped restore the dignity and charm of this beautiful old house. Well done!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 12:40PM
Living Vintage
Emily, rather than posting photos here, let me point you to my blog. My master bedroom before and after: http://livingvintageco.com/2013/11/reveal-of-our-master-bedroom/. Our kitchen: http://livingvintageco.com/2013/08/ready-to-see-our-new-vintage-kitchen/. Our home office (click on 'what we did' to see the before: http://livingvintageco.com/2013/09/home-office-reveal/. Our dogtrot breezeway (click on "when we bought our place" to see the before): http://livingvintageco.com/2013/11/dogtrot-breezeway-reveal/. Our master bathroom (click on the first link to see the before photos): http://livingvintageco.com/2013/11/master-bathroom-reveal/.
0 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 6:21PM
cloudpants
Before and after of our kitchen
2 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 7:57PM
cloudpants
Before and afters of our bathroom
2 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 8:02PM
cloudpants
The exterior of our Sydney cottage - before and after
2 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 8:11PM
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Before and After Deck, More Before and After Photos on Our Houzz Page
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:01AM
Victoria Cipullo
What an adorable kitchen!
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:07AM
123 Remodeling Inc.
Before and After - Gold Coast Chicago condo - Same condo in both posts
0 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 8:53AM
123 Remodeling Inc.
Kitchen in the same condo - Chicago Gold Coast
0 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 8:57AM
Unconscious On Canvas
Here is a before of a chair I call "Chairish Me"
2 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 9:06AM
WineRacks.com
A look at an install job we did earlier this year, converting a closet cubby into an insulated wine cellar. These racks are made from unfinished mahogany which does not need a stain to last a lifetime. Our mahogany, like all of our wood wine racks, are made right here in the US. We have a variety of racks on our website, ranging from stand alone wine racks to complete cellar combos that are ready to be installed.
0 Likes   July 21, 2014 at 9:41AM
before and after fireplace after I got your help
I hope that you like my new fireplace..befor and after...
Just got a new rug...before and after
Folks have been suggesting that I get a new rug to...
HERE SOME BEFORE AND AFTERS! SHARE YOUR PROJECTS WITH US.
BIG OR SMALL! LETS SEE YOUR CHANGES. HERE IS SOME OF...
How do I share my before and after with people on the website?
I've uploaded my kitchen remodel pix to an ideabook...
Dark feature wall - where to position in relation to the window?
Hi, we have a small bathroom with a window facing the...
Bedroom turned into office space
I am turning my guest bedroom into my office since...
Do you mind mirrors in the dining room?
[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/1124199/Vintage-Nouveau-Home-eclectic-dining-room-los-angeles] This...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
New living room
These are pictures of my new living room. I'd like...