How'd you hang the drapes?
Keller Williams/Cedar Park
July 14, 2012 in Photo Questions
How did you hang the drapes behind the bed? It looks as though they are tucked into the molding?
This is not my project but it looks like the builder created a trough behind the crown moulding for the drapery rods. It's pretty easy to have someone handy do this for you in your own home. I'd allow 6" of space for draperies behind whatever kind of decorative moulding you choose to install and more if you have both heavy draperies and sheers.
July 14, 2012 at 11:20am   
Elizabeth Gordon
The previous comment is correct. I allowed 6" space to ceiling mount my drapery, and had the builder pull the crown forward and attach it so that fabric would fall from behind it.
July 16, 2012 at 11:40am     
Angela Yamamoto_York
For clarification as I'm in the process of attempting the same concept: So the drapes are mounted to the ceiling as opposed to the wall? With a normal curtain rod? Any particular size/type/style of crown? Is the crown attached like normal just moved up instead flat against the wall? Sorry for the odd questions. I just want to make sure I get this right the first time so I don't have an upset hubby and dollars wasted. Thank you for any input you can provide!
July 17, 2012 at 5:18pm   
Yes, the draperies are ceiling mounted. The moulding piece is installed 6" out from the wall. It can be a fancy crown moulding or a plain board or anything in between. You do not need a fancy rod as it will be hidden. Any rod that can be ceiling mounted can be used. If you want the draperies to traverse, you buy a traverse rod. There's no point in using expensive rings as they will not show. Use drapery hooks.
July 17, 2012 at 5:26pm     
Angela Yamamoto_York
VERY helpful! How far out from the wall is the ceiling, curtain rod? Just trying to figure out the 6" for the crown. I think my rod was going to be 3" or 4" from the wall. Again, THANK YOU for your help. I'm redecorating my room as a surprise for hubby. :-)
July 17, 2012 at 6:14pm   
Elizabeth Gordon
Most crowns are made to be installed with attachments at both its' bottom (on a vertical surface) and at its' top (on the ceiling) so there's usually a board the is attached to the ceiling that defines the edge of your drapery pocket and upon which your crown moulding is attached. This is a common drapery pocket detail that any contractor or even a handyman can install using a crown moulding of your choice and a wood board that attaches to the ceiling. Typically I don't like to use a drapery rod to attach ceiling-mount drapery, although it'll work in a pinch if you're installing it yourself. I prefer to have my drapery panels as close and tight to the ceiling as possible and there is a specially-made drapery track that is inexpensive and screws direcly to the ceiling that is commonly used. Unless you're knowledgable about installing drapery, it is something that should be professionally installed. But there are great economical services that you can use (ie. Smith and Noble) that utilize professional window treatment fabricators in your area to measure and install for you. They can also guide you as to the amount of space to allow for your drapery depending on the type of drapery fold that you plan on using. Good luck!
July 17, 2012 at 6:18pm   
nonative
I have been searching to no availal for this "specially-made drapery track that is inexpensive and screws direcly to the ceiling that is commonly used" like the heavy duty ones used in Hotels. Can anyone help? I tried Graber, but their website seems to be redesigned to not include the commercial grade stuff I know they once made.
October 9, 2012 at 6:39am   
Try googling "Kirsch ceiling mount track".
October 9, 2012 at 7:10am   
Elizabeth Gordon
Smith and Noble is another source you may try...
November 16, 2012 at 11:17am     
Margaret Kujawa
Ikea tracks work great.
February 22, 2013 at 5:23pm   
Island layout help...before it goes in for reals...
I've got a large L shaped island with a 40x84 island...
Smart thermostat?
Hi again....can anyone recommend a smart thermostat?...
Need Help! Cabinet help!
Hello. We are currently customizing a house we bought....
Has anyone used valspar's filtered shade (4003-1B)?
Hoping someone may have an image of their paint tin...
Would a tech-free day work in your home?
Imagine that you woke up one day and there were on...