This is my photo of my houzz inspired kitchen
millimoana
Here is my kitchen remodel that I am disappointed with when I installed the dark granite as a backsplash and it really takes away from the beauty of the white cabinets. I have ebony floors, stainless steel all over and your advice would be appreciated. Thanks
michigammemom
It's actually very pretty stone. I think once your range hood is installed and you add accessories, window treatment, and counter stools, you may feel differently. I do however suggest that your pendants may be hung a little too low over the island.
July 16, 2012 at 10:15am     
millimoana
Thanks for your valuable comment - I will adjust the pendant lights and add accessories. I was thinking of putting some metal bar stools to match the stainless steel.
July 16, 2012 at 10:22am   
Walsh Krowka & Associates, Inc
I like the metal bars stools, but would have the seats a bright monochromatic color, like red which work with black. It would add a nice splash of color to liven up the room. No additional patterns....they would clash with the granite.....which I like by the way.
July 16, 2012 at 10:41am     
millimoana
Thanks for the idea...
July 16, 2012 at 10:52am   
I really like your kitchen! I agree that accessorizing is going to give you a better idea of how it will end up. Your stone is beautiful!
July 16, 2012 at 10:58am     
millimoana
Thank you but don't you think the back splash against the white cabinets make it look too contrasty as I tried to achieve a bright kitchen look and now it doesn't look like the traditional kitchen I had envisioned. I like the high contrast with the dark floor but didn't want it on my wall.
July 16, 2012 at 11:03am   
Oh millimoana, I love your granite! When you said "dark granite" in the previous post I was imagining ebony like the floor, and I could see that having two large expanses of black might be a bit much. But this granite is only dark in comparison to the cabinets. It is otherwise quite a light tone, and very beautiful! I really do think that once the range hood is in and there are just a few things on the counters (not cluttered, but not quite this bare) it will draw the eye in different directions. Right now everything is bare, and the granite is striking, so all your attention is focused there. I think you are just having new kitchen jitters, but you really have done a beautiful job!
July 16, 2012 at 11:07am     
millimoana
Thanks so much Feeny - all the responses here has calmed down my jitters as this is my first time doing a kitchen remodel. I love Houzz! If not for this website I would have been clueless and that's putting it mildly. Thanks again...
July 16, 2012 at 11:13am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Just a little suggestion--it looks like the kick plate under the cabinets has not been finished yet. Is that so? I think it should be dark like the floor. It stands out too much right now. Other than that, I think the kitchen is beautiful and I agree with many of the commends above. It's hard to stop yourself from second-guessing your decisions, but today these "fresh eyes" are telling you that you've done a very nice job!
July 16, 2012 at 11:27am     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa (thanks much) and I will take your advice regarding the kick plate. I like the "fresh eyes" approach and appreciate the kind words of encouragement. No more sleepless nights for me....again Mahalo Nui...
July 16, 2012 at 11:33am     
Studio NOO Design
Very nice ! Congrats
July 16, 2012 at 11:40am     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa!
July 16, 2012 at 11:41am   
Lifespan Design
I think that the granite may be the only pop of color in a pretty vanilla and very safe kitchen. Does this reflect you and your lifestyle?? Take a look at the rest of your home and start bringing in color,plants, kitch signs--anything to "enliven" the space. I would not bring in any more stainless steel elements like bar stools--it just looks like you are afraid to fly your own flag. When you are afraid, it emotionally reads discomfort and "seeker" of safe environments--the kitchen should reflect your soul and be warm enough to be the "heart" of your home. Stand your ground and know yourself.
July 16, 2012 at 11:43am     
Amy DaSilva
You might want to think about painting the ceiling a little darker color than the cabinets. A light tan or gray (pull from the granite). This would make your cabinets "pop" and take some attention away from the granite (which is lovely, but definately the center of attention).
July 16, 2012 at 11:52am     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui for those inspiring words of encouragement. The kitchen will be viewed from the living and dining room and so it's just one big space that needs to be cohesive and fun. My accessories will reflect the spirit of the home and that is where the fun begins. It is an enlightening journey of self discovery and education in every aspect - mental, spiirtual, emotional, intellectual. The journey is what you make of it and this has been nothing but pure enjoyment. Mahalo Nui
July 16, 2012 at 11:58am   
jennifernagar
I agree with the comments on the kick plate; pendants depending on your height is not set in stone. Mine which are similar, "Harmond" pendant from Restoration Hardware hangs 35" and I'm tall- I have the 11'' over the sink and just ordered the 15" for the 96" dining table in the kitchen. For the stool I would suggest "Vintage Toledo" barstools from Restoration Hardware. My Kitchen is very similar to yours, did a gut job three years ago, cabinets were too light, just had them painted dove white. All the comments are on target with the very little accessory needed and the range hood. Other than that perfecto!
July 16, 2012 at 11:58am     
millimoana
Bummer - do you think that my space would have worked with the small Hammond pendant as that was my first choice, just loved it. I thought it would be too big but I guess I should have asked my fellow houzzer's. I love Restoration Hardware and I will look into the Vintage Toledo. Mahalo Nui for those kind words
July 16, 2012 at 12:02pm   
jennifernagar
Your pendants from the pics looks very similar to the Hammond and three balances the island, assuming that they are around 11-12" in diameter, which is what's over my sink. I cannot zoom in to tell if there is a different between your and the Hammond. I would not worry they look fabulous.
July 16, 2012 at 12:13pm     
millimoana
Thanks - the pendants came from Lowe's fyi...
July 16, 2012 at 12:51pm   
yreyesylee
I agree with one of the previous posters, about painting the ceiling, although I would maybe do a light sandy color instead of grey. It will make the cabinets pop and give the room warmth and color without overwhelming the space. Then you can pair a few accessories in the same shade to draw the down into the space.
July 16, 2012 at 12:59pm     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa for the comment
July 16, 2012 at 1:12pm   
HI --- I think you have a little buyers remorse -- I did it myself. This is very common , your second guessing yourself. There is always a bit of disappointment before and after it's done . When I did kitchens , it happened almost everytime with clients. Don't make judgements before it's done. I don't think the granite is taking away from the cabinets at all. Keep going it will look beautiful when it is done and you have all your decor items in place and you have lived with it for awhile. You will see .... I love the counter tops.
July 16, 2012 at 1:35pm     
4thbacon
Hello:
I think the granite looks lovely also. I also think once your lighting is turned on which isn't shown in the photo, it will make a big difference. I really like the room.
July 16, 2012 at 1:46pm     
Inndesign Inc
The granite is fine and so is the backsplash, the main problem you have is where the crown hits the ceiling, you might consider painting the ceiling to contrast the crown "or" change out the crown to a contrasting color that would match or blend with the floor. I also do not see any light valances under the uppers, you could repeat this color there in a light valance. I just see too much which on white that needs to be softened or blended.
July 16, 2012 at 1:50pm     
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Re: painting the ceiling. I wouldn't go sandy on the ceiling. I prefer a light silvery blue to give a sky effect. It's subtle and very pretty.
July 16, 2012 at 1:56pm     
Stephanie Scigliano
i think it's gorgeous, but it definately needs your personal touch for texture and color. i would personally paint the ceiling in contrast to the cabinets as well- don't be afraid to go bold.
July 16, 2012 at 2:21pm     
jooney
Looks great, is that Fusion granite on the counters?
July 16, 2012 at 2:28pm     
millimoana
Yes it is fusion granite and thank for the kind comments :-)
July 16, 2012 at 2:41pm   
KShoa
I think the kitchen looks beautiful. I also like the layout with plenty of space around each appliance. The only thing I would say, and this might be just the photo, is that it looks a bit cold. I agree with some that painting the ceiling a warmer color will balance the space. And if you have any wall space, some colorful artwork will bring it together. Good luck. You'll love living in this space!
July 16, 2012 at 2:44pm     
ellegard
I did the exact same thing and, I too, was very disappointed. I ended up buying an iron scrolled piece and hung it over the range (and under the hood). It broke up all the granite and now I'm fine with it. With a few other accessories and a little greenery your back-splash will fade into the background. It looks really beautiful, but I can feel your pain.
July 16, 2012 at 2:53pm     
Leslie
You're kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! This is going to sound weird, but if you have a tall mirror somewhere that can be carried - Look at your kitchen in the mirror. You'll get a different perspective. I would definitey add some colors - white, black, green, red, blue, yellow....whichever is YOUR favorite. But keep it a solid. Not necessarily bold. I can see soft colors working very complimentary to the granite. You did GOOD!
July 16, 2012 at 2:53pm     
Hollie Baker
I personally think that the granite doesn't take away the beauty of the white cabinets. It seems to help them stand out more. This is a beautiful space, it just needs some color added to it. Even if you can't change what you just installed, add the pop of color elsewhere in the accessories and artwork! Good luck :)
July 16, 2012 at 2:55pm     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa for the kind words!
July 16, 2012 at 2:55pm   
jooney
Since we both like fusion I need your help,if you don't mind, I am using fusion in my master bathroom and mixing it with Creme Marfel, for the tub and the vanity I know what to do but in the shower I am stuck how to use both of these stones together, your input is appreciated
July 16, 2012 at 4:58pm   
Wow Great Place
I think the pendants are at just the right height, and the size of them also works well. Those pendants with the rods tend to come with 3-4 different lengths of rods, so lowering them or raising them just a couple of inches is sometimes tricky to do. I think at that height, they don't interfere with your sightline when standing at the island, so stick with them as is.
Don't spend too much time second guessing yourself, you will drive yourself batty!
I think you have a gorgeous kitchen that has a nice warmth to it, and truly, the lack of accessories is what is likely causing your anxiety, not necessarily the granite. It's not a finished kitchen yet!
For your window treatment, I would suggest a roman shade, mounted as high as possible above the window, so the window looks bigger, and you get a bigger oomph of fabric (that's my new favorite design phrase....oomph)
I'd go with a fabric with some grey in it, perhaps a stripe, something on the sumptuous side, as that will work well with the traditional feeling of your kitchen.
For the barstools, you may want to consider something with an upholstered seat, and preferably an upholstered back, so you can bring in more fabric....greys and creams, perhaps in a classic damask pattern?
I would not add any dark banding at the toe kick or under the upper cabinets, as I think it would add a stripe and cut the room in half, or would make the lower cabinets look like they are floating, which takes away from the traditional feeling. Same with the crown, I'd keep it exactly as is.
I do agree with Amy and Cynthia's idea to paint the ceiling. A super soft barely there blue or soft grey would be awesome. It will add a teensy bit of depth, without screaming for the attention (think super pale, paler than a robin's egg kind of blue)
Please repost when you are "done" as I am sure you will eventually see the beauty you have created!
Well done!
July 16, 2012 at 5:14pm     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa for your kind words, ideas and inspiration - I will certainly post it when it is finished. Great tips and I will take it to heart :-)
July 16, 2012 at 5:32pm     
zenhome
Your kitchen is stunning! All you really need is a few accessories, ie. greenery, lemons/ limes in a vase, a few Pellegrino water bottles on counter and you're set. Stools will add a lot too.

IMHO the kick plate under the cabinets would look best if it matched the colour of the cabinets.

Good luck and post more photos after.
July 16, 2012 at 6:21pm   
zenhome

Good luck and post more photos after.
July 16, 2012 at 6:22pm     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa for your kind words - I will post more when the project moves forward :-)
July 16, 2012 at 7:15pm   
millimoana
July 16, 2012 at 7:15pm     
karen paul interiors
Beautiful kitchen. You simply have a color imbalance which is very easy to fix. You have both the granite and floor competing for attention. One must dominate and they are fairly equally proportioned at the moment. Easiest fix is a rug. I always talk about Oriental rugs in kitchen for both modern and traditional interiors. I can't tell the actual colors in your granite but the rug I'm posting will give you a sample of how to pull your granite colors down below eye level to soften the floor. Bar stools are another subject, but just finding a runner for your kitchen with some pattern and heft will make all the differene in the world.
Never mind the actual colors, as it is the overall effect I'm trying to put across.
July 16, 2012 at 8:06pm     
millimoana
I love this Oriental rug and there are alot of these colors in the granite. Where do I find these? Thanks for your idea, love it...
July 16, 2012 at 8:30pm   
akcorcoran
Oh - I LOVE fusion - don't regret that! In years to come, a million people can have white / cream-painted cabinets and hardly anyone will have FUSION in a kitchen! I am using a large remnant of a green fusion as the shower wall in my master bath and only wish I could use it in my kitchen!

I think all the comments above about lighting are very key. Fusion has so much iridescence and beautiful color. Even if the lights were on in the photo you posted, it would show more of that, but the under cabinet lighting and additional attention to that is very important to *lighting* fusion so it shows how beautiful it is!

I also agree that window treatments and an area rug will help. For the window treatment by the sink, be sure to hang it HIGH. Maybe 2 - 3" from the ceiling (and decorative molding, if there is molding - hard to see.) Most people make the mistake of hanging it 2 - 3" above the actual window. You should go up to elevate the area and bring your eye up, then just make sure the valence or shade is long enough to cover the section that is solid wall.

And, as folks have said, you have no "life" in the kitchen yet. That beautiful stone will get covered as you go along with small appliances, etc. And, in general, the white is fairly stark against the cream overall effect of the fusion but that will soften with time.

It's beautiful - I wish I was living in that kitchen! :)
July 16, 2012 at 8:32pm     
karen paul interiors
milimoana, you simply shop for Oriental rug runners, on line or locally. The great thing about an Oriental is it doesn't show dirt, grime, or spills. Easy to wipe up and very forgiving. I have a dog who thinks the kitchen (with an Oriental) is his back yard. The trick is to do a reverse background (color) as opposed to the creamy/beige background.
July 16, 2012 at 8:36pm     
karen paul interiors
Now, on your barstools (and this is a concept only), you pull your dark (black) flooring up to eye level and reintegrate the warm tones of your granite by using something warm that has texture, to integrate countertop, rug and floor.
July 16, 2012 at 8:50pm     
karen paul interiors
Now for your window, you can do a woven grass roman shade, or somethin akin to it. You can either do something that integrates with the tones in your granite or you can go full tilt on drama and do this. The object with this is to reweave into the scheme your textures you have already established, and to align with existing colors with texture. This would be brave, and it also will now bring the floor back to eye level and above. So you will have completed a full circle of color and texture.
July 16, 2012 at 8:57pm     
karen paul interiors
Now your ceiling. If you do the natural wovens, you can leave your ceiling white. If you decide to do drama with black (actually something softer like ebony, etc.), you choose the lightest version of your granite and depending on the amount of pigment, you will most likely want to lighten it. The reason for this is to now decrease the contrast between the white and black and find a light to mid point for your ceiling, taking your warm colors now above eye level, which will also be referenced in your rug. So you will have completed another circle.
July 16, 2012 at 9:02pm     
karen paul interiors
Some have mentioned your kick plate, which you need to match closely as possible with your floors in the closest possible patina. Also, it has been mentioned you need to raise your pendant lights.
July 16, 2012 at 9:04pm     
karen paul interiors
Finally, if you have a wall that gives you opportunity for a piece of art, then do so, and make sure it is "real" art. Be certain you break outside your pre-set colors and move into other color directions, while still capturing a few colors you have already established in your kitchen. In other words, give it your best shot for color and drama.
July 16, 2012 at 9:06pm     
cherylreiners
I think that if you painted some parts of the cabinetry with a color that matches the granite countertops, you would blend the two blocks of color together more. For example, I would paint the crown moulding over all of the cabinets and the two "pillars" on the island a beige color that would match the granite. If you didn't like the effect, you could always repaint it white again, no harm done!
July 16, 2012 at 9:28pm     
millimoana
Mahalo Nui Loa for the great tips - I like the bar stool and the window treatment shown - I think it would work rather well in my kitchen. I so much appreciate the great feedback!
July 16, 2012 at 9:34pm   
zenhome
Love all your ideas Karen, except IMHO the kick plate will have a more cohesive look done in the same colour as the cabinets. The kick plate is more a part of the cabinets as opposed to the floor. The oriental rug would look super!
July 16, 2012 at 9:38pm     
karen paul interiors
I understand what you are saying Zen, and she can certainly do that. It's just with a kick plate, they actually get "kicked" continuously and then you end up with all these black marks. The reason for the identical patina from the floor, is to disguise the fact that you are onto a different medium. With the kick plate being the same as the floor, it will actually disappear. This wouldn't happen with any other type of floor except black.
July 16, 2012 at 9:44pm     
nasafemme
Your kitchen is beautiful-- elegant and tasteful. I did a recent kitchen remodel and have regrets about the size and shape of the island. It's gorgeous, but impractical (two levels) and too big. I just stopped beating myself up over it and focus on what's great about my kitchen. You will get to that place soon.
July 17, 2012 at 5:58am     
alwaysdesigning
I think you just need to pull the color(s) of the granite into the kitchen more. Black cabinet accents (like above the cooktop) and other key areas (the island?) would help weight the kitchen and give it some definition. The white just disappears, leaving the granite and the floor as visual anchors. Some black on the island cabinetry and above the cooktop is where I would start. I would not want to clutter the kitchen with many accessories, so paint in strategic areas should help. An alternative, is to paint the cabinets a creamier off white with some black accents. I think the white is just too much.
Good luck.
July 17, 2012 at 9:11am     
Toni Sabatino
Hi millimoana, I think your kitchen is great and enjoyed reading all the comments.I agree that a woven wood roman blind would look great. It will add a touch of a deeper, natural color and texture up higher that would balance the deeper color of the stone. I would do standard white toe kicks and put some classic white ceramic cannisters on the counter to break up the darker tone of the splash. I think iron stools with backs in a woven wicker would look great and wouldn't start painting the ceiling until you have it finished, as it seems that you will have that beautiful fresh white it sounds like you were striving for.
July 25, 2012 at 2:29pm   
millimoana
Mahalo for your comment Toni - I am receiving very good ideas from my fellow houzzers and really appreciate it. I will post a photo when completed and reveal what tips I have used from all of you. I am always open for more great suggestions so please keep them coming! Thanks...
July 25, 2012 at 2:39pm     
PoshHaus
Don't be so hard on yourself.
July 31, 2012 at 7:17am   
millimoana
Thanks for the thoughtful words of wisdom- in all the comments received thus far it's refreshing when someone comes out of left field with a gentle reminder that having a sense of calm, happy satisfaction and enjoyment as the ultimate goal for the intended space is what really matters. Great reminder in so few words! Mahalo Nui Loa..
July 31, 2012 at 9:17am   
Shannon Lynch, Mathers Realty
Beautiful space. Like that you did some glass cabinets and others solid.. breaks it up. Agree with the comment re silvery blue on ceiling- if it goes with the rest of your palette. Will you be doing under counter lighting? Re barstools, I pictured something with wrought iron to play off the darkness of the floor - whic btw is beautiful.. Few people are brvae enough to do a dark color on the floor like that. Its bold and elegant. Llike the granite - you want a contrast between the countertop and the cabinets so you can appreciate each - otherwise it blends too much, but...if you truly feel its too much granite, whats your thoughts on a creamy vanilla subway tile for the backsplash? Theres so much pattern going on with the granite that if you did chose to do something else re the backsplach I would keep it simple so it doesnt compete. I cant tell what the rest of the house style is and not sure what feel you are going for, but personally, I like what you have going on thus far. Congrats to you on your rehab, no matter which direction you chose to go...
August 2, 2012 at 6:31am   
jmkronenber79
What color is the granite. I love it!
August 3, 2012 at 11:27am   
Decor Diva
I think your kitchen is calling for a couple of leafy green plants!
August 8, 2012 at 7:53pm   
valchilcott
It's beautiful however, I agree that the dark granite takes away from the white cabinets. I would have the bottom cabinets painted a darker color to 'anchor' them. The other suggestions above are also helpful! Overall, it looks lovely!
August 19, 2012 at 12:07am   
millimoana
Thank you for the comment - I think that's a great idea to anchor the look of the dark granite - didn't think I picked that dark of a granite and it would have been fine if it wasn't on the back splash but just on the counter. My idea was to have the kitchen light and bright especially with the dark wood floors. It's almost complete now...thanks again.
August 19, 2012 at 5:44am     
JM Design of Atlanta
Great Thread. The kitchen is beautiful. I agree with Shannon. Install an inexpensive White subway tile on the backsplash and you will have the look you are seeking. The backsplash is the least expensive part of a remodel and gives the best pop. Good Luck
August 25, 2012 at 4:14am   
JM Design of Atlanta
August 25, 2012 at 4:14am   
Foshan Yubang Furniture Co., Ltd.
nice kitchen, really.
I think you may consider adding light trim under wall cabinet...
August 29, 2012 at 12:47am   
enidpinsker
Ahoha, Everything is gorgeous. Really very well done. Stunning taste. I hope my kitchen project comes out as well.
November 30, 2012 at 12:11pm   
millimoana
Aloha Nui Loa and thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I will submit the latest photo on this kitchen remodel shortly and please feel free to offer me any future advice - I welcome and appreciate all my fellow houzzers! So many great inspirations from Houzz - love it!
December 1, 2012 at 1:17am   
millimoana
December 1, 2012 at 1:17am   
Shahina
A perfect kitchen ! What are u cooking ? Keep it healthy !
December 1, 2012 at 3:57am   
White painted kitchen needs a redo, help!
I need to know what the best paint type and finish...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
Feature wall paint
I need to re-paint the walls. What colour scheme should...
Rug or drapes.
One of these has to go. Should it be the drapes or...
A new appartment
Attach is my new apartment design i have made certain...