Need help with our new rental kitchen!
Kristen ClemensJuly 18, 2012
My husband and I are about to move into a new rental with a kitchen that is circa 1985. We would love your ideas on how to brighten it up or at least make it feel more contemporary without upsetting our landlord. Thanks!
Sassy McFattypants
I too am in a rental. It's hard because I really would LOVE to paint the cabinets but I know there is NO WAY our landlady would let us. My advice to you would be work with the colors in the kitchen. To me it looks like Red would definitely be a color you can incorporate, with maybe a dark rich brown? What about changing the hardware on the cabinets? (save the current hardware and put it in a drawer so when you move, you can put them all back)... So I don't know if that helps. Green could also work in this kitchen. Its not a bad size and I LOVE that tiny cabinet just to the left of the stove, I would sooo store all my cookie sheets and stuff in there:)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 1:55PM
Kristen Clemens
Thanks Sassy! We have been trying to work with the space as much as we can since there are so many other little projects around the house. Displaying our tangine and le creusets that are blue/green and having some bright colored kitchen towels have helped a lot. I will definitely keep the hardware idea, that would help a lot!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 2:31PM
Would the landlord help with the cost of removing the recessed area of the kitchen ceiling where there are probably two fluorescent lights hiding above the plastic covering? If so, you could remove the plastic and the fluorescent lights and install recessed lighting there.
That would brighten the room considerably while at the same time making the ceiling height higher and giving the space a more updated look.

You might be able to replace the dated cabinet hardware with something more to your liking.
    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 5:46PM
condomary
This post is from 2012
1 Like    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 8:35PM
Need help with rental Kitchen......
We've just moved in to a rental unit and the kitchen...
agoodbrand
Colors for our rentals
My husband and I bought a duplex rental. We are planning...
Jacob Burrows
Need help with my kitchen in my rental
Hey guys, I was given the ok to furnish the kitchen,...
Zo Awi
need help on our rental
We are in a rental home that we can not paint. We are...
lindseylboyce
Please HELP! I need ideas on how to modernize my 90's RENTAL kitchen
* I can not change the cabinets or white appliances...
cmaher421
HELP!! TO CREATE FRENCH /EUROPEAN BACK YARD
I have an old red brick patio and red brick garden...
kaconn
HELP
What can I do to not make my house ugly anymore!
Julie Wightman
Pottery Barn sodas
I've just ordered 2 rolled arm Cameron sofas from Pottery...
cricket61
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare-TAKE2
Hi All- I need help pulling my kitchen together! The...
mhaber22
Remodeling 70's look master bedroom
We just bought a house that was built in the early...
Fenny Kwan