Help! I can't figure out the right flow for my great room!
Elyse Carlson
Next week we are moving in to our new house. In my mind, I seem to have all the rooms figured out but our 2 story great room. It's not a huge room, (15X20) but seems cozy. One wall is completely covered with windows and there are 2 big arches on another. My problem seems to be with placing furniture in front of the arches. To me it blocks the flow of the room. Am I wrong about that? I am looking to just put in a couple of couches, a coffee table and maybe some chairs. How do I arrange this?
Hi Elyse, I would remove the pair of chair sofa and place the TV on the wall, and perhaps you can put a console table behind the sofa where the arch and treat it like a half wall while keeping the openness between the eating area and the great room, as the angled part is large enough to access the great room.

July 20, 2012 at 6:42AM
michigammemom
To avoid blocking the field of vision through your soaring archways, I would utilize a pair of loveseats or sofas flanking the fireplace. I love the large ottoman serving as a coffee table in this inspiration photo.
2 Likes   July 20, 2012 at 6:59AM
Elyse Carlson
You guys, these were awesome suggestions!! Thank you SO much!
   July 20, 2012 at 7:23PM
Bond Girl
Both are great suggestions for placement. I think you need to decide what you are going to use this room for first. If you are going to use it for lots of TV watching, figure out where that's going first.
   July 20, 2012 at 7:28PM
HI -- Elyse -- Is this your formal living room or the casual family room ? And is that your furniture shown ? That is a massive fireplace and I would not say that 15x20 is a small room. That's large too me.I think the sofa can sit a little closer to the fireplace leaving 30 inches from the back of the sofa to the arch.Then a chair flanking the sides of the fireplace. The sofa could be a long one with a lounger end.The TV can be to the side of the fireplace either set on a console cabinet or mounted on a swilvel wall braket w/ a cabinet under . I would do remote control window blinds then have the whole wall with drapes over, floor to ceiling and wall to wall. White or off white semi - sheers on a big cunky rod. Have your family photos in an arrangement on the wall at the left with a console table under and some lamps and some stools under for extra seating. . Because the fireplace is so large , have an oversized art object above the mantel or a large painting or mirror, bottom resting on the mantel . The mantel is too high for a photo display.Because the room and the fireplace are so big you have to do big decorating.
   July 20, 2012 at 8:03PM
karen paul interiors
Are you planning on keeping your current furniture? Need to know if you are of the mind to change out what you have or if you are keeping some or all of the pieces you currently have.
   July 20, 2012 at 8:14PM
Elyse Carlson
Thanks everyone! The furniture shown is not ours. It is the people that we are buying the home from. I am not a fan of how they have things placed in that room. We are planning on getting everything new for that room-so open to any and all suggestions! We will be painting the mantel white to give it a bit of a contrast from the bland tan that blends everything together. I love clean,simple and uncluttered. The fireplace is too tall to put a TV over it so we are planning on a large mirror to put over it. As for a TV,either we won't have one in that room at all or we would have to place it against the one solid wall.
   July 20, 2012 at 10:40PM
karen paul interiors
Great news. I'll return tomorrow. Bed time! :)
   July 20, 2012 at 11:00PM
i need help decorating my sitting room. its an open floor plan. i
i have light tile floors and walls. and one green sofa....
Roof for southwest style home
We are doing some renos on the outside of our southwest...
Building a custom home...
In Fall 2016 our younger son starts school at the school...
edges of granite
Do you use the same edge granite in whole house or...
Please help!! Installing tomorrow morning!!
We are finally installing our can lights and pendants...