I need help with a closure between my kitchen table and my dining room
helenfinkelstein
We are in the midst of a ten year renovation. I am now left with a large 'L' shaped space where my kitchen , dining room, living room used to be. Do to the large family and lack of use of the living room( we have a decent main floor den and a very comfortable sitting room downstairs), we have decided to make one large kitchen and make what was the living room the dining room. I would like to leave the entire space open, but fear that without some sort of partition , my kitchen table will run into my dining room table and the whole area will look like one big dining hall. I have thought of pocket doors to separate
the kitchen from the dining room, but would like to keep the space airy /open.
That's wonderful that you're reinventing your home's layout based on how you use it.

If the breakfast area was at one end of the L and the dining room at other end, there wouldn't be a problem. It also wouldn't be a problem if you created a kitchen island or peninsula and used counter height barstools there for your breakfast area. It would create a visual separation.

Can you sketch a plan of the spaces, with kitchen cabinets drawn in, so that we can provide you with better answers?
July 20, 2012 at 3:30pm     
helenfinkelstein
I am a little challenged with attachments.(Let me know if you received the layout) It looks a little squishy, but it is not. There is a large island 3' x 8'. I can have some barstools that would face the kitchen window, but it's primary use will be counter space/prep area. The other half of the foot of the 'L' will have some sort of hutch or cabinetry to tie into the other side of the kitchen and a small round/square kitchen table. The top part of the 'L' is where the very long dining room table will be (108.5"). I thought that pocket doors with some etched glass inserts might work , but my husband thinks that partial walls could also work? I keep thinking 'dining hall' if I don't have some sort of proper separation. Maybe I could hang those long beaded drapes across and opening (ONLY KIDDING !!!!!) Any ideas?
July 20, 2012 at 4:14pm   
It didn't go through. I tried to add a drawing on Houzz the other day and it, too, did not make it because I mistakenly sent it as a pdf instead of a jpeg.
July 20, 2012 at 4:36pm   
helenfinkelstein
I don't know how to convert a pdf to a jpeg
July 20, 2012 at 4:46pm   
On my scanner there is a choice of how a document is sent. See if yours has choices.
July 20, 2012 at 5:20pm   
Some families are totally eliminating the formal dining room in favor of a larger, casual breakfast space used for all meals. If this interests you, it would leave you space for a comfortable seating area near where you're cooking so family could sit and visit with you. Maybe a wall could become a library space.

It's hard to be sure without seeing your layout, but I just don't think I'd be in favor of a half wall. How about a folding screen to separate the areas? See pictures below. One is of a white folding screen. The other is a set of folding panels that are on a track. They can be pulled across the kitchen space as needed to separate it from the formal dining area.
San Francisco Decorator Showcase
Kitchen
July 20, 2012 at 5:56pm   
Sometimes using a 'fake' ceiling beam could help define the dining space, or if possible just have one extra large dining table for combined daily and formal use would be more useful.

July 20, 2012 at 7:37pm   
I like Dytecture's idea above, and what a great picture to illustrate his point! Well done, David!
July 20, 2012 at 7:39pm     
helenfinkelstein
The images are attached this time, but are cut off. The very poor drawing on the right , should be on the left. The closure is between my two hand drawings. The bottom line is that the dining table is here to stay. How to not make the long section look like a dining hall is the real problem. I don't like the idea of half walls or pillars, as the area will still be open. My first thought was pocket doors with large glass inserts to keep the look 'airy'. What other options do I have? My drawings are terrible, but you will get the idea. I have shaded the area at the bottom of each page . My husband did not like the folding panel doors or the screen. HELP
July 22, 2012 at 5:33am   
lindsayo
Helen, I've been looking at the drawings, trying to imagine your space, and not suceeding, sorry. When I click on each drawing it does expand so it is not longer cut off (I think). Is each drawing just a part of the space? So the whole space is an L made up of the three drawings put together. Do the top two drawings need to be swapped for this to work? Do they overlap? Am I getting close?
July 22, 2012 at 6:11am   
helenfinkelstein
Yes each drawing is part of the 'L' shaped space. The problem is that I drew the kitchen area with the round table on the back of the kitchen area with the appliances and it shows through. (oooops) The top two drawings do need to be swapped, so that the area with the appliances and island are on the right and the area with the hutch and round kitchen table are on the left. The area with the dining table is below that. There is no overlap between the three drawings. Just need to close the space between the kitchen table and dining room table areas, while still keeping it airy.
July 22, 2012 at 6:22am   
lindsayo
Oh that is much clearer. I think I thought there was overlap because of the one drawing showing through the other. Dytecture's idea of a fake ceiling beam might acheive what you are looking for, or how about dropping the whole ceiling in the dining area to create a deliniation of the space. Depends how high your ceiling are to begin with I suppose. you don't want to drop it too low and lose that airy feeling. Using distinctly different tables in the kitchen and dining area would probably help too, so that the kitchen table doesn't look just like a continuation of the dining table. So a breakfast bar, a round table, or a booth area might do it
July 22, 2012 at 6:37am   
I need help making my dining room blend with my kitchen.
My dining room is open to my kitchen, and my kitchen...
If I take wall out between kitchen and dining room do the floors need
I have hardwood in dining room and large ceramic tile...
How to plan my house extension with more future extension in mind?
I have a single story house with around 1300 sqft....
I need someone that installs tile?
I bought all of my tile for both of my bathrooms from...
Guest room re-design
We are in the middle of repairing our guest room that...
Decor or no decor on top of cabinets??
After living with the decor for almost 3 years, I just...
1200 CFM Vent using a 10" x 3.5" rectangular duct transition piece
We want to install a 1200 CFM (Best IQ) but are restricted...