Wood floors in the kitchen?
karensage
I am planning to put wood floors in the front area of my home. This is an open space which includes entry, living room, dining area, and kitchen. I am a little hesitant about wood in the kitchen, although I would prefer the same flooring throughout the area rather than stopping the wood floor and changing to tile in the kitchen. Experiences with wood floors in the kitchen? Recommended products? Thanks!
Ingelnook Farm Inc
I have been installing oak floors in kitcehs for years. Recommend you NOT use wide plank wood. Be sure you give wood at least 1 week in house before installing - it must reach the same moisture content as room before installing it.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 7:12AM
karensage
I have been looking at some of the engineered wood products with a "hand-scraped" look. What happens specifically with the wide planks floors that causes you not to recommend them?
    Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:20AM
texasles
What a timely discussion! I have the same type of house and decision that Karen has. Plus I have 2 dogs. I love the look of wood but am concerned about the care. The floor that we are taking up is a Bruce laminate and worn out! I plan on selling the house in the next couple of years so want something that has the greatest appeal but can withstand the wear and tear. I am actually considering tiling the whole area since I live in Texas and the tile seems cooler in apperance and easier to care for...yet I do love the warm look of wood as well.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:27AM
I have had wood floors in my kitchens (in two different houses) for the last 25 years and LOVE them. They are so easy on your back when standing cooking, easy to clean, beautiful, and in medium to light stains hide a multitude of sins (darker stains aren't quite as forgiving). Our current kitchen floor is white oak--very sturdy--and is original to the house, which was built in the 1920's. The kitchen floor is still going strong despite two rambunctious dogs and a sloppy teenager, though presumably the floor has been refinished a few times over the life of the house.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:27AM
Ingelnook Farm Inc
I have never used laminates, and given the probability of things being spilled and dropped I probably would shy away from laminates in a kitchen. The reason I recommend against wider width 'real' wood floors is shrinkage cracks. All wood expands and contracts with heat and humidity. With 2 1/4 inch strip oak flooring any gap is almost invisible and impenetrable. With wider planking the gaps can become 1/4" or wider, and invite spills etc to seep down into areas impossible to clean.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:02PM
blq022561
Any thoughts on/experience with bamboo floors?
    Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 2:08PM
I have no experience with bamboo floors, but there have been a number of discussions about them on houzz. Type "bamboo floors" into the Discussion search engine and then read through some of the threads. Lots of pros and cons, some questioning about sub=par suppliers, inability to refinish them, etc. Here's one thread I remember having some interesting issues raised in it: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/169139/Strand-Bamboo-Floors-durability-formaldehyde
    Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 4:13PM
wood floor color for kitchen with dark cherry cabinets
The cabinets are dark, but I want wood floors in the...
raingley
Need help choosing wood floor in new kitchen
For our kitchen renovation, I fell in love with a new...
Melody Wilensky
Aesthetics of using two wood floors to define kitchen and living room
I have a floor through condo where there is no barrier...
jzis
Are wood floors in the kitchen a good idea?
We are building a new house and I have been looking...
strenschel
Need advice and help for re-decorating my bedroom
It is quite a small bedroom, which has a childish look...
zachsofia
New couch and finishing touches
We have lived in our home for more than six years and...
amalids
Suggestions for wall colour please
Hihi! I want to paint the walls in this space and I'm...
dupss
HELP! What color to paint the house and door?
here's the deal... we are remodeling this house and...
Bethany Goodin
What to do with this half bath?
If I remove the cabinet/sink, what type of sink do...
Lisa Kelliher O'Neill