Avoid hardwood floor in bedroom?
darkforest
July 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I think everyone here can appreciate the upscale appearance of hardwood floor compared to even high end carpet. But here in West Michigan very few people have them in the bedroom. Real estate/rental agents tell me installing hardwood floor in bedroom makes little difference to the resale value of the house, even if the house is in the high end where buyers expect a certain level of luxury.

I'm told the reason is the weather can get cold thus people don't want to step onto cold wooden floor, and is louder than carpet. I'm thinking, the heat is always on so the floor shouldn't be that cold. Moreover, a beautiful area rug, almost a requisite piece of most master bedrooms lessens both problems.

Recently I saw some pictures of multi-million dollar 7000+ square feet mansions and they too do not usually use hardwood floor in bedroom. Carpet is still the norm.

So I am very baffled. Is it because the Midwest catches fashion later? More conservative? I have lived in California I think most people prefer hardwood than carpet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Sterling Rugs
I don't stay in the US so I can't comment on the above. All i know is that Hardwood is a fair bet but staying in a cold locale , A rug would not just add an element of class but also provide warmth. What size are you looking at ??
September 5, 2012 at 2:54am   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with that hardwood through the house is more desirable for resale. It sounds counter intuitive but there is always the option of laying area rugs on top of the hardwood if one wants to, whereas you can't have hardwood on top of carpet.

September 5, 2012 at 6:20am   
PRO
Adam & Dad LLC Hardwood Flooring Co.
I have hardwood in all my bedrooms. The floors are warm, smooth, and always looks rich. Here is a bedroom with hardwood floors I found online.
September 12, 2012 at 1:12pm