Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyaboutchristmas

Need Help Finding An Area Rug to Match My Brown Furniture in My Living/Family Room!

crazyaboutchristmas
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I'm in the process of re-modeling my living room but I need help finding an area rug that will match my mis-matched brown furniture and at the same time lighten up or break up all of the brown. Eventually I will buy a new sofa that goes with the chairs or buy a whole new lighter set but I'd like to try to work with what I have for now. I tried an 8x10 ivory rug with a little brown in it but I didn't care for the ivory color with the bold pattern (too much contrast). I like a more neutral contemporary tone on tone style that flows. Also what size area rug would fit the room and furniture layout?? I found 5x7 to be too small because it doesn't flow with the chairs so I tried an 8x10 which pulled the furniture together but may be too big for the room. The room is small measuring approx. 14'x 16'. Also would like to hear ideas on paint colors for the walls, curtains, accessories, etc. Thanks!

Comments (34)

• amafixer
    11 years ago
    Check Overstock.com for rugs, lots of variety, good prices, and quick delivery.
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, I have been checking them out for a while now but I just can't decide what color rug will work for this room.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I think some geometric rug would bring some modern feeling to this room. The walls could be painted a more neutral grey.

Orange and Brown Office · More Info
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    This brown and cream zebra print rug from Pottery Barn would be fun and modern with your leather furniture. I would also recommend flipping the location of your TV and sofa, so that your seating and coffee table are not in line with your entry door.
    Zebra Rug · More Info
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas! Michigammemom, we don't use that door at all, we have another main enterance. I'm thinking about painting the door the same color as the wall (whatever color that will be) so it will blend in better.
  • PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    11 years ago
    You want your rug customized ?
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have a two tone beige shag rug & painted the walls BM shaker beige. I'm in the process of buying new furniture. I'll post pics when the room is completed but it looks a lot better already (even though it's half finished).
  • amafixer
    11 years ago
    Check Overstock and Lowes for rug selections.
  • godinezceg
    11 years ago
    I've also been looking for a living room rug. Aside from Overstock, I've been researching on JC Penny and IKEA. Where did you get your chairs?
  • godinezceg
    11 years ago
    And Urban Home.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I'm down on the animal print idea.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Another animal print idea.
    Hill House · More Info
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    An 8 x 10 rug wouldn't be too big for the room. Put your furniture on the rug to pull the seating area together. Have the 2 black chairs facing each other on opposite ends of the coffee table. Since your entry is into the room, pull your sofa off the wall so you can walk around it to cross the room.

You didn't give any info about if you have children, enjoy certain decorating styles or colors. As you are painting, don't forget the ceiling, More photos would help of room details. Find either a rug or a piece of art for inspiration.

http://www.arearugfacts.com/rug_buying_tips.php

http://www.homedecorators.com/rugThumbs.php?classification=7&defDesc=,,8x10+TO+8x12,CONTEMPORARY+RUGS&rugFinder
  • PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    11 years ago
    A few from our collection... We provide direct shipping from our manufacturing hub in India.
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    godinezceg I got the chairs a while ago at Atlantic Superstore but I'm thinking I'm going to change them as soon as my new sofa arrives....I think:)
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Elise thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a 8x11 beige shag rug and it does work if it's under the sofa the whole way. As for the door we don't use it at all, it's the 3rd entrance to the house and we just use the other 2 which lead into the mudroom/porch area so I'd like to try "hide" the door in there somehow. I wish I could put the 2 chairs and sofa how you mentioned but I have walls and a archway on the side of the room that you can't see in the pic and it would block half of the entrance into the living room. For now I have them angled on both sides of the tv stand which will change when the new furniture arrives. Someone also mentioned I should flip the sofa and TV around but there is a bedroom on the other side of the wall where the sofa is so I would like to keep the location of theTV the same just because of the noise. We just purchased a new espresso leather sofa w/ chaise and I'm getting rid of the 2 chairs for armless ones probably in a lighter fabric material. I painted the room BM shaker beige and now I'm just stuck on curtain & accessory colors. I wish my camera worked so I could update the pics of the room and what's been done so far. Can anyone help me with a color that goes with BM shaker beige and dark brown furniture? I like the imperial trellis pattern but I'm not sure if that's too boring (brown & ivory) for the curtains.
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The room is still not finished but I just wanted to update what's been done so far....
  • jfkenyon
    10 years ago
    Seafoam blue as the main color of the rug with some taupes and oranges, that would be a cool direction to go.
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked jfkenyon
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update the pic again when I've added more color and it's finished.
  • PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    10 years ago
    Have a favorite fabric or wallpaper pattern you want in a rug design? Or, do you want to pull colors together from your furniture and home decor to balance your interior design? We do it all. Any size, pattern, texture, color, design or any of your quirky ideas. We manufacture all.
  • PRO
    What's Inside Design Ltd.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm hearing you say that you're not a fan of too much contrast and bold pattern.
    Keeping that in mind I have come up with a couple of suggestions for you.
    The rug is a combination of several different browns which will help make your furniture feel like it "belongs" together.
    The paint colour I chose is a lighter value of the same brown tones.
    Keeping with your preference for "tone on tone".
  • PRO
    What's Inside Design Ltd.
    10 years ago
    I hope this helps!
    Caroline :)
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Wow! Loving what you have changed so far. It is ready for colour!
    Kona Blend Collection Outdoor Accent Pillow l Chloe and Olive · More Info

Peacock Jacquard Venetian Pillow · More Info

Eclectic Table Lamps · More Info
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked Chem K
  • crazyaboutchristmas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    More color added. It's still a little bare looking and needs a few more accessories added to the room but it's coming together now.
  • PRO
    Supreme Floor Company
    10 years ago
    Grest job..
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked Supreme Floor Company
  • IM DB
    10 years ago
    Really looks nice. What about some type of screen or even another curtain rod with matching curtain to cover the door (if it's not used).
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked IM DB
  • wally'sgirl
    10 years ago
    Agree with imdb, a screen angled in the door corner would do the trick! Looks great; 200% better than the original! The art really ties everything you've done together!
    crazyaboutchristmas thanked wally'sgirl
  • swapitout
    9 years ago
    I like what you've done. I'd pull curtains closed over the door as if it was a single window.
  • mcr1288
    9 years ago
    Ideally....lose the windows and replace with french doors and lose the door entirely.
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    Love the room. Maybe change out the curtains for color panels that match the blues you have in the room. Also, a live plant would also bring "life" into the space. #greatjob
  • Margaret Bannerman
    9 years ago
    Nice job! Just a point for info--usually art work can be hung about 5 inches above the back of sofas, so you could lower your big picture…
  • Cheryl Smith
    9 years ago
    I like what you've done, rug and painting .even thought you don't use the door it still looks like an entry and makes the layout seem wrong. maybe you could find a bookcase that would hide it completely, a screen or as others posted extend the drapes so it is not there visually
  • Elise
    9 years ago

I like what you have done also. Really enjoying your colors too.