HELP need help with exterior paint colours- please
drinkwalter
Need to paint the porch - what would you recommend?
I love your house! A bright white with some accent details might be great.
July 26, 2012 at 11:18AM     
drinkwalter
Thanks Emily. I was thinking of leaving the window trim and windows white and wondering about how to tie the porch into our new saufet and facia trim- taupe and grey, wondering about using black accents somehow or charcoal grey? Any thoughts about this idea????
July 26, 2012 at 5:17PM     
jannielee
To the right of the door. A pair of black rockers on the porch. A medium slate gray for the porch decking and stair treads might look crisper. New hand rails. Colorful flowers in the planter by the door. Perhaps a larger, updated light. Last but not least, I love a porch ceiling painted a soft sky blue. Great house. Enjoy it!
July 26, 2012 at 5:44PM     
drinkwalter
Thank you for your thoughts jannielee. I like the medium slate gray idea.
July 26, 2012 at 5:51PM   
5inatlanta
I like using the color of the mortar in between the bricks for the trim color of a house. Then a coordinating darker color for accent.
July 26, 2012 at 8:04PM     
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Gray Is the New White these days as White is high on showing finishing flaws and imperfections on the surfaces and the fine flaws in Finishing in Mortar etc . are very visible in white , so Good Luck with Slate Gray
July 27, 2012 at 2:06AM   
sherrybrooks
I agree the medium slate gray is what I would go with...think, Grey/White/Black and with a touch of Red...(flowers)
July 27, 2012 at 6:38AM     
maryloudesjardins
white has the tendency to wash out the appearance of brick. Grey overall is great. But be careful it comes in many shades. Taupe gray will be nice. Choose three shades darker gray for your trim and same shade for wood shakes. Black double doors. Big outside lanterns in a black finish or burnished bronze.
July 27, 2012 at 12:30PM   
Kathy Martz_Walsh
With the red brick I think you have two choices... white or gray.. a medium gray... I would go with white on the railings and the rest Gray.... and white shutters on the front door... a large latern in gold brass with glass and a gold kick plate on the door... paint the front door a shade darker in Gray.
July 28, 2012 at 1:23PM   
Michelle Mink
So ... here's one more idea to throw in the mix.

Rather than choosing BETWEEN white and gray, use BOTH. Keep your window trim white and paint everything related to the porch (i.e. pillars, inside/outside siding, etc.) white - except for the ceiling and the floor/steps. Paint the ceiling, the floor and the treads of the steps gray. This will give you that additional color that you were looking for when you mentioned using black as an accent. Using a three color scheme will add so much character to your home's exterior.

And if you do use the white and the gray, it would still be wonderful if you used black accessories on the porch - urns, rockers, mail box, etc.

[houzz=Acadian Home]

[houzz=Acadian Home Dining Porch]

[houzz=Greensboro House]

[houzz=Cape Cod renovation]

This technique is often used with beautiful historic homes - like yours. It's beautiful!
July 28, 2012 at 1:42PM     
taracmullinax
Charcoal grey will look clean and modern on the porch. Accent with yellow flowers or accessories-maybe even an outdoor rug to anchor the seating areas. You have a beautiful home-add a little pop of curb appeal!
July 29, 2012 at 7:13AM   
kencandrews
I would paint out the vertical surfaces of your porch, the same color as your vertical colors of your trim, the facia. And I would accent your natural wood front door when choosing the horizontal surface, the walking surface. A nice earth, mud , or clay color that's natural around your area. Way up here in Manitoba Canada , we have heavy clay soils, a grey brown, and the color we found that works for us is Benjamin Moore's dragons breath. And no, I don't have any connection to the paint company. It's pricy, but goes on nice. We've used that color for ext base board trim in paint and used solid stain in that color for the walking surface. Good luck.
July 29, 2012 at 10:02AM   
drinkwalter
Wow what great ideas. Will continue to research and once decided and work finished will post final results. Looking into the paint colour you suggested Ken. Thanks to everyone for all great ideas.
July 29, 2012 at 12:30PM   
Bravehart Building
I would paint all windows and porch trim black, except porch floor - slate grey
Sherwin Williams has a colour called Anubis which is fantastic as it is not black black but very dark grey black
July 29, 2012 at 2:15PM   
drinkwalter
Oh now that is a good idea too. One other thought we have just discovered is to put cedar shingles on the horizontal lines on the porch like in the front top of the window on second floor. What do you think? We will leave the shingles natural.
July 29, 2012 at 2:55PM   
tmdesigns
A lot of great suggestions here. You might also try taking a look at "Bungalow Colors: Exteriors" by Robert Schweitzer -- this book has a lot of useful information for choosing appropriate exterior colors and color schemes for homes similar in style to yours. Good luck!
July 29, 2012 at 3:07PM   
JWinteriors
To compliment the terra cotta house, use Sherwin Williams Library Pewter as the main color and Buckram Binding on the columns and trim. Perfect for Arts and Crafts homes.
July 29, 2012 at 3:49PM   
designgirl178
A deep black door--use porch and floor paint for lasting finish--with a stark white address plaque on it or white painted No. ___ would be classic. I would add a brightly colored pot with plantings on the right side of the entrance. Black wicker furniture with bright colored cushions would be a perfect fit on the porch with a chair on the left of the entrance. Colorful pots trailing down the left side of the steps would balance the entryway with the door off center. Bright colored flowers in your flower box would look good also. Also I would add a railing to the other side of the steps. Love this house. Would also paint the cedar shakes to match the porch. Good luck!
July 29, 2012 at 9:21PM   
Debbie
Right now, you have a bit too many colors going on/too busy!
...you need to minimize to 4 colors...House body + white trim + .....great ideas above.
Definitely paint the wood shingles!
July 30, 2012 at 10:41AM   
Need exterior colour help please.
Here is an early spring picture of our new to us house....
Please help with exterior paint colours!
Heritage building that needs a face lift. Please...
Need help on exterior house paint colour
I have a house with a flat roof on a down sloping block,...
Need help choosing exterior paint colour for siding and trim!
I'd like to enhance the cottage/farmhouse feel. We...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Little Pink bathroom-need help!
This is the little pink bathroom:-) Going to update...
I need to hide the inside of an unused 2-sided brick fireplace
My fireplace goes up to the ceiling in the kitchen...
Decorating an upstairs front patio
I am a snowbird in FL with an upstairs entrance patio....