Centering range hood with vaulted ceiling
sarahpf
We are re-doing our kitchen (finally!!) and if the budget allows want to vault the ceiling. We are taking out a wall to create a great room with stone fireplace, which will be centered at the peak of the vaulting, but at the opposite end of the room, the KD has drawn the cooktop to the left of center with an under-cabinet range hood.

So, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to like that or not. My instinct is that the cooktop and hood should be centered too, but would having focal points at each end of the room be "too much"? (i.e., the fireplace and a centered ornate hood).
Hi Sarah, First, that sounds like it's going to be an awesome room. How large is the room going to be, meaning...how much distance will be between the hood and the fireplace? I'm not sure the hood has to be centered across from the fireplace, in fact, it might even be more interesting visually if it isn't.
July 27, 2012 at 12:10pm   
sarahpf
Thank you for your reply! It's going to be about 25' from the hood to the fireplace. And I actually emailed my KD today and told her I needed some hand-holding! She said she was looking at the back wall with the appliances as the work-horse wall, and the focal points would be the fireplace and the huge island that will be where the wall was. She made me feel a lot better about things, for sure! She said that we're at the point that a lot of clients are still trying to see the vision, but can't quite yet because we haven't picked out enough of the things that'll go into the design. So, hopefully as the process goes on, I'll get a better picture and stop bothering people about it! lol
July 27, 2012 at 3:48pm   
To what extent can you mix old and new?
I've grown up with antique furniture all my life, and...
Backsplash Suggestions For This Kitchen
Hello. My family and I are moving into our new home...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
Need help deciding on chandelier for my kitchen island.
I will be renovating my kitchen and I'd like to put...
What else do I need by my front door porch? Please advice :)
I cannot seem to finish my porch, what else do you...