Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmargarita

Modernizing antique parlor set or start fresh?

mrsmargarita
11 years ago
I would consider my taste as pretty eclectic. I mix traditional items with unique and fun pieces while using lots of bright colors. As you enter the house though, I have an antique parlor set that opens into the den. It has brocade upholstery which is in very bad shape. My question is should I reulpolster using a more modern fabric or combination of coordinating fabrics or give it back to family members and choose something that would match the vibe of the rest of the house.

Comments (13)

• mrsmargarita
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love it! It's so fun. Do you have other pieces of the same set in there? Any pattern suggestions. The oil painting in back stays the rug can go.
  • mrsmargarita
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Forgot the main pic
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I love feeny's picture of the Victorian sofa wearing a hip fabric. Your antique pieces have interesting lines. I suggest keeping either the sofa or the pair of chairs and handing over the other to another family member. Having the 3 matching pieces is just too much, but having the sofa OR the chairs will be charming.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I completely agree. An individual piece or mismatched pieces of funky modernized antique furniture looks great in an eclectic setting. But three matching pieces make it a set, and this disrupts the eclectic style of the room. Your old parlor set is really fun and eccentric. I'm not sure I've ever seen that design before (particularly the upholstered neck rests), so unless your family feel strongly about keeping the set together, I think keeping just a piece or two and recovering in a fun, modern fabric would be ideal.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    P.S. Is it a sofa, settee and chair? Or sofa and two chairs? If there's a settee in there, that's the one I'd keep.
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    What fun! Please post pics again when you're done.
  • mrsmargarita
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In the pic is a sofa under the painting a settee in front of the window and an arm chair in corner. I also have two matching chairs without arms(not in room). What different furniture would you put with it? Or layout suggestions? I feel like I need something large under painting to help with balance. The room opens into the den and entryway.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Do you have any history on your pieces? I've not seen anything like these pieces. They are almost a take-off on some old Hepplewhite pieces, but seem to come from the 1920's when I look at the cutouts and the woods used.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Here's an ideabook on eclectic style, with some ideas about how to mix old and new effectively, plus a fun photo of an eclectic room using an antique settee modernized and recovered. Even though I'd probably keep the settee (just because I love antique settees and find modernized ones particularly fun and charming), you should keep whichever piece is most useful to you for making the room work.
    Transitional Living Room · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/so-your-style-is-eclectic-stsetivw-vs~1331123
  • mrsmargarita
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That living room is awesome. I know it belonged to my great grandparents. I will try to find out some more info.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    I'v seen the comment by Karen , these pieces are Unique , so do not give it away , Its said Old is Gold .
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    I'm going to buck the trend and say to keep the seating peices as a group, but swap the side and coffee tables for something more modern and less interesting, perhaps a parson style in your wall color.

My reasoning is this, as an eclectic myself...eclectic can easily begin to look busy or unfocused. A little repetition here and there gives the eyes a rest. I've packed a hundred treasures into my three walls of floor to ceiling bookcases in my great room, yet by strict adherance to a simple color palate, and having two matching couches and a loveseat in the empire style all with the same mossy chenille, it doesn't feel chaotic in the least.

If you try just swapping the tables out and the set still feels too "matchy," maybe try the settee in your bedroom or somewhere else before giving anything away and breaking up the happy little family.

If you're open to it, I'd also try the black LR rug in the kitchen, and look for something to bring out the beautiful colors in that wonderful oversized painting...like this perhaps:
    http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Provence_III_Area_Rug/110/

Nice to see special things kept in the family!