Hi there...can you please tell me how wide the built ins are? thanks!
corres3
July 29, 2012 in Photo Questions
William Hill Cawood, Architect
I would guess between 8 and 10 feet if those doors are somewhere around 2' wide. tricky because the french doors seem wider than 36" and the ceiling may be closer 10 feet tall. the angle may distort the scale quite a bit
0 Likes   July 29, 2012 at 6:12AM
corres3
Thanks...that was quick! Do you really think that they're that long? I was thinking more along the lines of 5 feet
0 Likes   July 29, 2012 at 6:17AM
William Hill Cawood, Architect
you could printout the picture and use the height of the built in counter, which would generally be in the 30" to 36" range and get an estimate on the overall height, which would relate to the width. you could also look at the doors--if they are between 6'8" to 7', and then the transom is around 1'2 to 1' 4", then you have a roughly 8' to top of built in.
1 Like   July 29, 2012 at 9:53AM
dreamsailor
We have a lower ceiling-- 7'9" . I'm debating whether it would be too low to have a built in like this. What's your opinion? Thanks!
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 3:55PM
William Hill Cawood, Architect
you could do it, but you may wish to have a slightly lower bottom cabinet (say 30" or below) and two upper shelves instead of three-the trick is to get the proportions correct so the upper half of the cabinet is tall and graceful-and run crown all the way to ceiling, using a smaller crown.
if your room has no crown, install a small one such as a beaded cove- Smoot Lumber stocks it in my locality(DC Metro Region) and it is called SM-21 crown-they have a nice catalog on their website

If you want a little fancier do a small cove (2" or so) with a Greek key moulding below-very elegant and something that the majority of houses would not have.

I am always of the opinion that you should do careful experiment with crown if you want a traditional house-to many of the same mouldings are used when there is a wealth of interesting profiles and combinations
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 4:08PM
dreamsailor
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm still learning to navigate on Houzz. .

wow thank you for the generous information and tips! I checked out the Greek key moulding and it indeed is very elegant and fancy!

I plan to design my tv wall with this picture and your comment as my inspiration. Thank you very much!
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:43AM
Susan Willis
Could you please tell me who makes the French doors? Are the pane dividers within the glass?
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 3:45AM
Decorating my apartment balconey...seasonally.
I don't have photos, because my balconey is not decorated....
glond
Lead in ceramic tile
I understand that ceramic tile sold at big box chain...
Jackie Peace
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Kitchen counter help
We are planning on painting the cupboards white, installing...
raybran
Request design advice from the Pros for an inspiring exterior!
Here is my colonial stucco home. I am changing the...
kellychipley