Deck - Patio
lpisg8
Hi Everyone,

I have been banging my head side to side on this. Should I put a Deck or a Patio. Not sure yet on the cost differences, but here is the scenario.

Contemporary design in the back shaped like a U with glass doors all around. 425sqft Deck area overlooks the pool. Before there was a Treated Deck painted and it was all rotted because the water had no drainage. We have created the drainage and tore out the old deck. What I need is to decide asap on wether i should put a Deck or Patio? Cedar or Treated?

Since the house is Contemporary, should I stain the wood in a certain color? If that is the case, use Treated vs Cedar?

Looking forward to everyone's input on this :)

Thank you,
Parker Stuckey Residential Design
I would definitely keep it as a deck if you've already cured your drainage issues. If you lowered the space to patio level, you'd end up losing a lot of square footage to steps from all of those doors. I'm a huge fan of ipe or teak but if those are out of range, I'd use treated lumber and stain it quite dark (espresso-ish). The contrast will play up the contemporary lines of the house and feel quite sleek. Use a transparent stain instead of the typical deck stains that are semi-solid or solid. Some grain showing through is always nice and the look will last longer.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:36AM
Mary Pettit
Since your outdoor area is surrounded by your home, you may wish to consider the passive solar effect of your material choice on your living space. If you live in a climate that has a short outdoor season, stone or similar material will warm up this area for comfort and may extend the use of your outdoor space. If you have a long hot outdoor season, wood will retain less heat in this area and make it more tolerable to use.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:41AM
lpisg8
Thank you. I actually thought of raising it a little more so that is is nearly the level of the Living room. ?? The kitchen and the master Bedroom floors sit a little higher. By raising it I would have room for a better pitch and be able to put enough gravel without touching the framing.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:43AM
lpisg8
Great stuff folks. Any other color options? I like the espresso suggestion a lot, but I fear my better half might throw a hammer at me :)
    Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:47AM
Tarey Cullen
Good comment from Parker Stuckey Residential. If you do elevate the deck - not flush with interior - as rain/ snow/ wind elements need a little room so as not to find entry to liv. rm.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:50AM
Need help with deck/patio project
We have a small unfinished area nestled behind our...
janekw
Back deck/patio help please I am lost!
We have this huge aggregate area that I think would...
Sandi Hengel
How to tie together deck, patio and outbuilding with a shade element
I have an existing small square deck off the back of...
Kirsten Fagiano
Braces in the way of my under deck patio
I am getting pavers installed tomorrow for my under...
seasonmmclane
configuration kitchen cabinetry and drawers
I'd like to know the best way to configure a kitchen...
bobbie1d
does anyone think this backsplash will work?
thinking of installing Avenue Mosaic Weave Jacquard...
kathleen
Products that really clean painted wood cabinets! BM pepper grey.
Need to know how to REALLY clean painted K cabinets...
revss
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Help with empty space
Hello all! We have this empty space in our living room...
jdavid10