HELP NEEDED - matching color to granite top
jawsnice
July 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Dear All,

Due to very tight budget, I'm trying to not tear down kitchen cabinets and top but only re-laminate. The kitchen top is of sandy /grey / redish color that I'm totally lost at what color for cabinet laminate to update the look of the kitchen, to make it more modern and appealing. Appreciate any advice..many thanks in advance!

JAw
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
What about gray?
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 9:20AM
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 9:22AM
feeny
I'm not sure I'd be brave enough for this one, but here's a combination of contemporary laminate cabinets that draws on all of your colors. But maybe, in your case, a combination of white and gray cabinets?

0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 9:29AM
PRO
Urban Thistle
How about a metal look? There are some really nice looking metal finishes available in the Wilsonart line. Something with a minimal patterning such as a brushed look. Then you can add shiny chrome accessories such as your kitchen tools and caddy, soap dispenser, etc. You can also use black appliances to connect with the black in the counters. For back splash you could also use a sheet of metal cut to size and attached with rivets. Cuts way down on the cost of tile installation and product. The wall color could potentially be a deeper version of the rust color in the counters or maybe your ceiling could become this color if you have issues with light.
2 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 10:02AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
Nice ideas from Chelan Home Center. I also think the answer lies more with accessorizing and adding some colour, as opposed to changing out all the cabinet doors (which I think are very attractive and contemporary in style.) Love the idea of a metallic backsplash, losing some of the starkness of the white tile. I'd also change out the faucet for something more eye-catching and change just a few of the upper cabinet doors, perhaps using smoked or milky glass. Something like this :
http://www.remodelingmyspace-members.com/kitchen-galleries/gallery-kitchen-backsplash-design-ideas/
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 10:56AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
Sorry, wrong link ! .. Let me see if I can find the right pic !
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 10:57AM
PRO
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
The kitchen is Good , Just put some good Accessories n it will be Fine .
1 Like   July 30, 2012 at 11:02AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
That did it ! ... Those are actually metallic tiles and I'd seen the pic before reading Chelan Home Center's idea of using sheet material ... which is a much better, less messy and less expensive option. I'd go for the partial backsplash, rather than using it around the entire area. I think it's the current uniformity (and emptiness) of the kitchen that's making it look a bit bland at the moment and that once you add a few attention grabbing details, it will look great !
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 11:08AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
@Chelan, Nice website ! ... Not the right venue, I know, but "Sneak Peek" .. not 'peak'.
I proofread websites for a family member, and couldn't help but spot it. :-)
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 11:23AM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Sounds like you are really only interested in having the cabinets refaced. If so, I recommend (strongly) that you avoid the plastic/thermafoil laminate - it will bubble and crack eventually. I suggest you look at wood refacing and you could go with a cherry or walnut shaker style cabinet with new hardware (and yes, I agree a new faucet is needed to complete the look). The wood refacing is not that much more than the thermafoil and worth every dime.
0 Likes   July 30, 2012 at 1:12PM
jawsnice
Thank you all for your advice. I was thinking of gray / metallic too. One combi is dark grey lower cabinets with metallic top cabinets.

My other problem is the rubbish chute on the wall. Appreciate any ideas to "beatify" it.
Many thanks again.
0 Likes   July 31, 2012 at 7:07AM