Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texielevy

Transitioning from traditional to modern

texielevy
11 years ago
I am in the process of transitioning my home from what I consider a fairly traditional look (with lots of industrial elements. I like metal,) to a modern look. Would love to ditch most everything and just start over, but that isn't in the budget. I would love to hear from designers about how best to approach the transition. I have recently purchased a very modern gray flannel sectional. Tips for making the change-over?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    You can experiment with an eclectic style in mind, as long as there is some relationship between each element it will help pull the room together.

Hollywood Residence · More Info

Bedroom · More Info
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    It sounds like you began the transition awhile ago with the modern industrial elements (which I love the sound of). So if you can move it slowly in that direction along with the gray sectional, using more traditional elements just as accents in the room, it sounds like it might work. But it's impossible to say much more than that without photos.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    It would be helpful to know what elements from your traditional past you intend to keep. For example a traditional Oriental rug can work successfully in a modern room, but a cherry Queen Anne end table probably will not.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    The best way to transition on a budget is with paint and accessories. Pick a fresh new color that ties in with the pieces you will keep and your new sectional. Do the same with toss pillows, art, lamps, clean lined accessories and window treatments. An eclectic style, as mentioned above, is a great way to tie in the old with the new.
  • texielevy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will try and get some pictures up. Trying to decide if I want to stay with all neutrals or add a "pop" of color, and if so, what color. My art work is fairly modern, but my end tables have got to go. :) It's a process. I just redid a beach house and it came out pretty well but it was a total do-over, which is easier than trying to incorporate your old pieces in to a new look.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Good for you for buying a gray flannel sectional! What a wonderful way to start your adventure into the world of contemporary design. I know there are a lot of people out there either thinking about or starting out on that route you're taking. I'll tell you how I've been doing it.

As a designer living in a 16 year old house, I've caught a bit of the contemporary bug, so our house has been evolving in the last few years. It's still mostly traditional, but I've added a few pieces of contemporary art to our walls. When we replaced plumbing fixtures last year, the new ones I chose were bright shiny chrome in fairly contemporary styling.

I think a lot of the transition has to do with editing what is on display. So no more tassels. Not too many accessories on the bookshelves.

I reupholstered our sofa in a solid color, and also our chairs. I mixed different colors of pillows on the sofa. Our rug was updated.

Just last week we got all new doorknobs, well actually door levers. That involved some sticker shock!

So, we can jump into it as Texielevy did with a grey flannel sectional, or we can edge into it gently, one step at a time. Either way, it's a fun adventure!
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    The best way to achieve a modern look is to de-clutter. In my opinion, a modern aesthetic is more about what is taken out rather than what is added. Your sectional sounds like a nice start. I would love to see soft ivory, cableknit pillows on your sectional. No pattern, just texture.
    Belgian Linen Knit Pillow Covers · More Info

Also, consider investing in a great piece of abstract art near or over the sectional. Here is an ideabook I wrote a couple months ago about soft modern interiors.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/soft-modern-style-offers-best-of-both-worlds-stsetivw-vs~2101834
    I hope this will give you some ideas.
    Charmean Neithart