Tv
yvonne56
August 3, 2012 in Photo Questions
Isn't the tv to high to watch from this height?
Bock Building Group
It may seem that way by its appearance, but it actually works perfect!
August 3, 2012 at 8:51pm     
yvonne56
Is it comfortable because of the tilt. I have a new tv above my fireplace, without such a tilt, and it feels like I am straining to look up. Do you think that the tilt on your mount makes it work for you?
August 3, 2012 at 11:48pm   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
When tv is being installed check the angle of the tilt and your viewing will be perfect !
August 4, 2012 at 11:25am     
D'Arcangelo Builders Inc.
Even with a tilted mount you'll end up looking up. I have the same issue with my TV. For best TV viewing eye height while sitting down us best location for it. I just signed up for this site and not sure how to post a pic I would love for you to see mine. Oh another thing is the distance of your couch from the screen, just like sitting in a movie theater the closer you are the more you have to look up.
August 4, 2012 at 12:14pm     
tnwith4
I was going to say that to, the distance makes a difference. If its a big enough living room where you can spread your furniture back and out a bit you won't seem right in top of the TV. I also thing the tilt down makes an improvement on viewing.
August 4, 2012 at 3:32pm     
mcl1232
If I had a choice, I would look to put the TV on another wall space, shelf or table and not above a fireplace with this large size screen. I like to see the fireplace be the focus and not a large televison. I also thinks it hides the beautiful gray tile/brick wall. However, I really like the room.
August 4, 2012 at 6:21pm     
paulablue
what color wall? I love
August 4, 2012 at 7:34pm   
pfsavage
I just stayed at a beach house last week where the TV was that height and the living area not huge and I it wasn't comfortable at all after a while.no matter what angle you tilt it at.
It really has to do with the fact that when the house was built with the fireplaces...no one ever thought you would be hanging a TV above the mantle.
August 5, 2012 at 1:36am     
cakelover
I agree with mcl 1232. I have never liked the television above a fireplace. The fireplace should always be the focal point in the room. I just think it makes the fireplace look a little sloppy with that large rectangle piece hanging up there, and when it tilts it looks even worse( almost like you couldn't get it up there correctly).
August 5, 2012 at 6:38am     
rosepals
I don't get it... can't you just move your eyes!!! They are not fixed in their sockets you know.
August 5, 2012 at 6:40am     
hscavetta
just no
August 5, 2012 at 6:42am     
luannupchurch
The tilt is helpful but I prefer sitting eye level height. Nice room tho.
August 5, 2012 at 7:11am     
curraghgirl
We just did this too. First couple of nights I thought we made a mistake but you actually get used it very quickly. We love it. It is actually very comfortable, especially with a sectional like this room shown.
August 5, 2012 at 9:54am     
Jim Lamb
I do not like to have a TV over the fireplace. It should not be the dominate piece in the room. If you have guests, I stared at you just begging to be turned on. Put it in the bookcase and add doors to cover it. YOU control it, don't let IT control you!
August 5, 2012 at 10:09am     
curraghgirl
unless you have a separate sittingroom for guests.
August 5, 2012 at 11:52am   
Sheryl Horton
Distance from screen makes a big difference & A recliner makes it easy to view.
August 5, 2012 at 1:12pm     
kaydlotte
Bifocals, distance from screen and recliner all make a difference in your viewing a TV at this height!
August 5, 2012 at 1:42pm     
Sheryl Horton
Yes to all above!
August 5, 2012 at 1:45pm   
lara_jane
*too high, yes.

A friend has this set-up with the tv tilted and I dislike it. I agree that it is more comfortable to view at eye-level, and also that such a mount creates an eyesore rather than a focal point.
August 5, 2012 at 2:45pm     
gregtober
Sorry to pile on here about this person's TV. A TV over a fireplace is very stylish these days, but It bugs me to no end. I can't imagine having to look up in the air to view it. I guess I am lucky that I have the wall space to hang mine. After moving my flat screen uo and down three times, I chose to set it up about 18 inches above eye level, and we sit about 17 feet from the 58 inch screen.
August 5, 2012 at 5:49pm     
Sheryl Horton
I'm relaxing right now in my recliner ( disguised a chair) with a nice glass of wine watching my flat screen mounted fairly high on the wall. No worries!
August 5, 2012 at 6:00pm     
shelly6135
Mine is above the fireplace and I love it. It has a little tilt to it. I don't have to tilt my head to watch it, I just move my eyes. Love it.
August 5, 2012 at 7:13pm     
Leiyuan Industrial Co.,Ltd.
I don't think it is too high.
TV's angle of tilt, just parallel to the line of sight, so no problem.
August 5, 2012 at 7:53pm     
Faireden
rosepals, love your response! I am still laughing.
August 5, 2012 at 8:14pm     
Patsy Martin
Doesn't the heat from the fireplace harm the tv ?
August 14, 2013 at 10:05am     
rosepals
Need a mantle for sure. Blocks the heat. We weren't planning to mantle but added it.
September 7, 2013 at 3:17pm   
chgjim
Very nice room. A tweak that could help deal with the tv issue is to reduce the size of the fireplace surround. If you reduced its width and height, you could drop the tv height about a foot putting its top below the level of the top of the bookcases. Still higher than ergonomic (eye level), but you may not have any tv location options in this room.
February 10, 2014 at 4:02pm   
janiehburton
We have ours above two fireplaces because we are TV/movie people. I am curious about the large black cord above the TV. If that is permanent, I would call an electrician or people who specialize in installing flat screen TVs/sound systems and have them rewire it, so you don't see that cable protruding.
March 14, 2014 at 2:09pm   
I need help with an original design for this Foyer
Because the client doesn't want a center table and...
Entry Way Guidance
I would love to get thoughts on ways to make my entry...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Paint colour for basement room opening onto garden?
I'm painting a basement room in my townhouse which...