Tired of red wall in kitchen..
virghardt
August 3, 2012
I'm wondering if there is an alternative to this red wall? Should I paint the entire kitchen one color? Maybe dark brown? or stay with cream?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi Virghardt, Did you end up changing the paint color? I always like a nice paler yellow in the kitchen. Is that what you have on the other wall behind the fridge? I'd think about carrying that over the rest of the kitchen walls. It seems like it may make the room feel a bit more spacious too.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:18AM
virghardt
Thanks for your comment Emily. That is a good idea. We live in a craftsman bungalow with not a lot of light coming through so a lighter color would open it up at bit! When the previous owners remodeled the kitchen they used the red to contrast against the wood cabinets.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:23AM
TanCalGal
I think the red is not a good contrast to the cabinets. A lighter color might have been a better contrast. Have you seen these craftsman kitchens for ideas? http://www.houzz.com/craftsman-kitchen
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:24PM
Darzy
This may sound weird..but try black on those walls! You have lots of light there and would look great!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:36PM
feeny
Gray-green would be lovely with your cabinets and in a Craftsman style more generally.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:38PM
stylingstar
HI...Here is an idea same color behind the large cabinets and a darker brown on the other 2 back walls...
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:44PM
bygeorgi
Virghardt.... Everyone thought I was crazy when I painted my kitchen dark brown... I was inspired by my favorite treat Hershey's chocolate. And I love my kitchen... I think you would too, looks like there is a dark brown in your mosaic tile. I just wouldn't put it everywhere, just cover the red... and maybe a new light fixture. dark brown to me is one of those bridge colors that can look very modern but also suits a craftsman style.
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:44PM
Darzy
I like bygrorgi's idea too.. but the black will also speak to the black cooktop and refrig's black accent.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:38PM
decoenthusiaste
While you're at it, how about a new light? Do you like the green on the left in this pic?

1 Like    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:50PM
alwaysdesigning
I could see a nice grey on those red walls. It would contrast nicely with the yellow, the backsplash, and the stainless appliance trims and the cabinetry. Good luck.

Color: Dunn Edwards - Baby Seal
[houzz=
    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:31PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I would love a close up of that back splash, just to see the colors employed. I suspect you are tired of the red because it has always been the wrong shade.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:35PM
bygeorgi
I like Darzy"s idea too .... black would really update the space, or maybe charcoal. I spose it would really depend on your color scheme and feel in the next room. It appears to be open to another room. I just used my dark brown as the color for my accent wall in my living room off my kitchen to tie the spaces together.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:04AM
kah416
I don't know how you feel about greens, but our kitchen used to be that same red, and I just got tired of it. Earth greens are one of my fave shades so we went with this color green in the picture. :) Everyone LOVES it when they come over. :) Hope this give you a little idea or two :)

1 Like    Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:13AM
TanCalGal
Karen Paul is correct. The paint color should enhance the back splash & also be in keeping with the historic color of the craftsman era. This tutorial on choosing paint colors might be of help: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
    Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:22AM