drapery and room color challenge
cynharlan1
August 4, 2012
Our area has taupe leather furniture and we have this 8 X 10 rug on order (the chair in the photo is not part of the room). The room has stained concrete flooring with a white fireplace. Please help with suggestions on paint color and drapery color/design. I prefer to have the drapes as an accent, not covering the 5 windows. Suggestions please, I am at a loss.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Hey the Rug is Beautiful , can you plz add some shots .
    Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:23AM
michigammemom
Your wall color will hinge on the color of your sofa as some taupes have warm undertones and some have cool. If your sofa leans to the warm side, you might consider the olive green found in the rug. If the sofa is on the cool side, try a paint color in the blue-gray range of your rug. I am a big fan of a neutral curtain panel with a contrasting border to customize your room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:51AM
betsyweisberg
I agree with Michigan mom.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:26AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The only thing I can add to what Michigammemom has brilliantly offerered is a possible accent wall. With a white fireplace, you might consider painting that wall the reddish color that's in the rugs and then add pillows of that color on your sofa. The fireplace will then stand out nicely against the reddish wall. Of course, pictures of the space would help and then I might totally change my mind on the accent wall!
    Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:34AM
PRO
Sally Phillips Custom Window Treatments
I like Michigan Mom's suggestion too. Neutral solid color draperies with a vertical trim strip or accent color band on the inside vertical edges. I like to have draperies in the same color range as the walls, with the banding bringing in a different color. That way if you get tired of your accent color you take off or replace the accent on the drapes and they still work.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:34AM
judianna20

As memichigammemom suggested neutral, neutral neutral. I would even stay creamy on the walls and let your rug and leather sofa dominate.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:48AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would stay light on the walls as well and add art or high definition photography for color. Use accent cushions on your couch to pick up one of the colors in the rug. Blue or the rust. You can also use colorful glass vases for color. Go to Blenko's web site for beautiful, affordable hand blown glass in different colors. Glass made in the US is becoming more rare and we should support companies still in business. I have a blue vase I got in the early 70's and it is timeless. I have no affiliation just trying to support business other than China. Etsy.com is also a good site for decorator items and lots of other things.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:40AM
PRO
Sally Phillips Custom Window Treatments
I also try to support US companies. GREAT point!
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:26AM