Very strange front door/porch layout

kmedlAugust 5, 2012
Please help us with a better design for the front of our house. There are currently 3 steps from the driveway to the porch level and then 3 more steps to the front door. We've never seen a front door that is 21" higher than the front porch! It currently has a screen door that opens out but that can be removed if it would help with the design. It is very awkward to try to open the screen door and have enough room to stand on the small landing in front of the door. We are completely puzzled as to how we can redesign the steps, include handrail(s) as needed and also access the porch. Any or all of the porch can be redesigned if needed. I've included a picture of the current layout. We would also be willing to use stone if it would look better. This is a house in the mountains of NC.
MOVE EVERYTHING TO THE LEFT SO THAT STAIRS ARE DIRECTLY IN FROM OF THE DOOR. THEN YOU WILL HAVE A NICE LITTLE DECK TO DECORATEhttp://www.houzz.com/photos/345083/Mill-Valley--home-Sweet-home--traditional-exterior-san-francisco
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:27PM
momoffabfive
extend the main deck part out and have the stairs wrap around--you can add plants on the different levels--but definitely increase the step area
    Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:37PM
Manon Floreat
You could consider moving the stairs to the far right so that they are flush with the wall. They'll still land on the "lower" porch, but there will be space to widen and lengthen the "upper" porch (front door platform). On the lower porch you can have a little seating area with an outdoor rug and perhaps a few potted plants.

You can extend the upper porch all the way to the front and a couple of feet to the right (where the moulding is to the right of the door). Stairs added to the the right of the platform will lead to the lower porch and seating area.

A knee rail and/or planters can be added across the porch platform for safety. If it's a combination planter/knee rail various plantings will liven up the space.

Below is an aerial sketch of my idea.
7 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 7:48PM
mapeggy
Manson Floreat has the perfect design for your space. It gives you everything you want and fits nicely with the architecture of your home's design. Go with it...it is the best you will be able to achieve.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:06PM
Manon Floreat
Thanks for the kind words, mapeggy! I really like front porch seating areas. Hopefully something like this will work for kmedl.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:48PM
kmedl
Many thanks for the ideas! Manson Floreat, your idea is perfect! My husband and I love it. We especially thank you for the picture of the design along with your detailed description. We also love the suggestion to use planters.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 4:42AM
Studio NOO Design
Judy is right, the stairs should come directly to the door and you will have a nice porch on the right !
    Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 7:43AM
Manon Floreat
I'm glad it was helpful, kmedl. If you think about it, please post pics when you're finished. Happy renovating!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 9:44AM
kmedl
Studio NOO design,
If I take the steps and center them in front of the door, how would I do the handrails?
Especially on the side by the porch. What would it look like? Thanks!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 10:34AM
kmedl
Judyg, we are still trying to figure out how to have the steps come directly in front of the door and still access the side porch. How would we design the handrails?

Anyone else have ideas? We are willing to completely redesign the layout but we cant make the main porch any wider without it coming out from the roof.

Thanks for any ideas. I cant find any pictures with the door that much higher than the main porch!
    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 8:52AM
Lisa Lucas Design
Manon's design is by far the best idea. Keep it simple!
    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:09AM
debora carl landscape design · More Info

THE STEPS HAVE TO COME OUT, BOTH ON ON THE DECK AND THE STEPS DOWN. IT'S HARD TO TELL FROM THE ANGLE IN THE PICTURE, BUT THE TOP THREE DO NOT LOOK "CODE". REBUILD TOP THREE AND YOU SHOULD GET A "LANDING" AS IN THIS PIX. THEN CONTINUE WITH HANDRAILS ON EITHER SIDE.
    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 10:52AM
need help with front porch
We had to redo our brick wrap around front porch due...
halliekdo
move front door location and change front of house design
I'd like to change my entrance so it's not in front...
lauriehurl
What to do with our front porch?
We use our front yard a lot. We have a close knot...
fanofmyfam
Living room layout is strange
We need some help reorganizing the set up if our living...
loumz
Need ideas for our new house with a non-typical cape cod front porch
We recently bought our new house and need to repair...
jdbrocious
My landscaping
Help: my yard is disaster ,
vinh5036
need help to add warm in an open plan living area
Inherited taupe carpeting, white walls and brown sofas....
leilaskye
ideas for window treatments
I'm looking for ideas for window treatments on these...
azrescue36
Please help me finish our master bedroom
We recently bought a king sized bed and painted the...
mom3boyz
faux wood beams and crown moulding together - yes or no?
Is it wrong to mix the two - rustic and formal?
walk3033