Countertop color?
minemine
I am doing black/brown Shaker cabinetry on the bottom and white on the top. I would like to do a strong beige on the walls. My stainless steel slide in range has a black ceramic top. Do I do a dark counter so the range doesn't look like a big black blob in the middle of a light color, or does that matter? Should I do a white counter and backsplash to marry with the uppers? I like the two tone look, but often the dark color is used on an island so a different counter treatment is used for each area, usually white on the dark island and black on the white cabinets. How do I use one counter color to compliment both and work with my beige walls. I would love to hear any suggestions. Also flooring???Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Toni Sabatino
Hi minemine, are you planning to use tile or wood on your floor?
A counter that is a strong varied beige like Cambria Lincolnshire could marry all your tones together. Best to get some samples of stone, tile for the splash and flooring as well as paint chips and see how your ideas blend together.
August 6, 2012 at 8:24pm   
minemine
Thank you for your advice. The Linconshire color looks a little gold, whereas the beige I have picked is more of a taupe which I think might go with Cambria's Bellingham with it's black veining or Newcastle with hints of taupe, cream, black and white. However, as much as I love it, I don't have the budget for quartz. Is there a laminate you know of that would work with these colors? Thanks.
August 6, 2012 at 8:48pm   
Toni Sabatino
The Newcastle is quite beautiful... You could also buy 12 x 12 stone tiles in a granite with taupey tones and use a wood egde that matches the cabinets to get a rich authentic texture and save money. If it is properly sealed it will perform well. I recently did a kitchen in a cottage and we made the counter that way with stone tiles leftover from a project in the main house.
August 6, 2012 at 8:58pm   
minemine
If I go with a taupey tone on the counter, will my stainless and black slide in range look okay?It's that big black ceramic top against the light background that I am worried about. Is that a concern, or am I creating a problem where there isn't one? What about white laminate with a white subway tile, or is that too boring? Again, the range top (black on white)??
August 6, 2012 at 9:29pm   
Toni Sabatino
I like the white subway tile. If you are using laminate the white might be better than the fake stone look or a flat color. I think bringing some warmth to the counter with the white splash could look great, but truly it is the blend if the elements and how they relate to each other that make a room inviting and special. As a for instance, do we have painted doggie above the cabinets, open space or do the cabinets and moldings go to the ceiling? Also, I don't think the black ceramic top is a big deal and wouldn't worry too much about that. Do you have any room photos?
August 6, 2012 at 9:42pm   
minemine
Sorry, no photos because we are just starting the process. The cabinets will be finished at the top with crown moulding which will be in Benjamin Moore's Cloud White, the cabinet color. The bottom cabinets will be a custom stain, very dark like Ikea's Black/Brown they use on their Ramsjo cabinets. I would like to use Benjamin Moore's Brandon Beige for the walls because I have this color in my adjoining living room and just love it. I did find a beige subway tile that is almost dead on to the wall color in a matt and glossy 2"x4" glass EVA001 and a beautiful 5/8"mosaic by Bliss called Anatolia Cotton Wood in a mix of glass and stone that looks fabulous with the subway tile. I am pretty sure they would all look good together, but it is the countertop that has me stumped. Can you mix a white countertop with a beige backsplash, beige walls, white uppers and dark lowers? I feel overwhelmed and don't want to make an expensive mistake.
August 6, 2012 at 10:04pm   
Toni Sabatino
The tile sounds perfect and Brandon Beige is a great color. I am all for continuity and flow. I think a deeper counter like the color of the Lincolnshire would really tie it all together. There are some granites on the market that are less than quartz here in New York, one of the stone yards i use even has a clearance section, have you already scoured your area for stone bargains? I will look aty laminate chain later and see if there are some colors I like that you could try.
August 7, 2012 at 3:45am   
Toni Sabatino
Stained concrete is another thought, It is beautiful and durable and you have color options, This is a link to a video about it
August 7, 2012 at 4:06am   
minemine
Thanks Toni for the suggestions. I found a laminate color online by Formica called Perlato Granite 3522. I will need to go to the showroom with my samples to see if it will work because it may be too grey of a taupe (can't tell on a computer monitor). If the shades are right, do you think this will work? Will this make the white cabinets stand out too much or pop just right? For the floor, because I have pets, and because I want something warm and soft underfoot, I am thinking of going with a good quality vinyl. My adjoining living room has hardwood, so should I maybe go with a slate or stone look? Do I go light or dark?
August 7, 2012 at 7:57am   
Toni Sabatino
Here are a few alternate laminate suggestions, PIONITE AT700 GROUNDSWELL SUEDE AND WILSONART 4883-38 SABLE SOAPSTONE. PIONITE AT271 PEBBLE MOSAIC SUEDE could work, too, depending on what you decide for everything else. As far as the floor, I would want to see what direction you are going in for the counters, I like to coordinate but not match the lateral surfaces.. Let me know what you come up with. Can you take a camera phone photo of your samples together and post them here? (As a side note, I am leaning toward the "groundswell"....rich deep taupe with a textured look, and I do think the white wall cabinets will make a nice bright statement.) I am attaching a taupey room with a piece of white furniture I did a while back. I chose the taupey tone to make the white hutch stand out.
August 7, 2012 at 11:25am   
minemine
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. Thank you for all of your suggestions, which I really appreciate. I will try and get a picture together for you. Have you ever heard of a company called Decotone Surfaces that does laminate? I went on their website and was blown away by the selection. I have no idea how durable they are or how expensive they would be, but they had a such a phenomenal number of choices that I am going to look for a local supplier and check them out. There were a number of 'granite/stone' looks that I thought might work, because they have a several different tones going on that might pull it all together. Some examples were: 150-2036, 150-2037, P150-2568, D-6655 and 2716 Pietra Adobe. What do you think?
I also looked into the undermount sinks done with laminate and a Corian ring and I may go that route.
August 8, 2012 at 8:45am   
Toni Sabatino
I will look at the laminates and am awaiting your photos. Happy to assist....
August 8, 2012 at 7:04pm     
minemine
I have been looking at samples and I think I have found a combo that will work. So, I am leaning toward Pionite laminate in Bernard MG071V which has dark gray, taupe and hints of white. The vinyl for the floor is Sobella Supreme in the Cambridge pattern, color ALT703, which is varying shades of dark gray and taupe in a slate tile pattern. Their is enough variation to be not too 'matchy', but yet the colors compliment one another. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
August 14, 2012 at 1:43pm   
Toni Sabatino
Hi, I like the pionite color but I could not find any info on the flooring. http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Sobella/Search.aspx?FilterCollections=2&Design=0
does not have the pattern and color you have listed. It is hard to comment further without photos or a plan to see how the items will relate to each other, if the counter area is large, how many feet of backsplash or if, say, a window may be the focal point. If you have a link to the flooring, I will be happy look although the computer images are certainly not like having the samples lined up in your home.
August 14, 2012 at 8:13pm   
minemine
HI Toni, I found it by typing Mannington in my search bar. When I got on their website I clicked Residential. Then I clicked on Sobella. They have four types of Sobella. I scrolled down to Sobella Supreme and 'Cambridge' was the first one it showed and it said NEW. I clicked on the picture and the color choices came up. I like ALT703 Greystone. They also have 'View A Room' which shows the pattern, but not necessarily the color. I will try and get a sample to bring home and then I will see if I can get a good picture in natural light to show the true colors. It will probably be a couple of days...I am out of town all day tomorrow.
August 14, 2012 at 9:37pm     
julie77777
To minemine -- Did you end up using the Mannington Sobella? I am looking at Supreme - Cambridge - ALT 704 in fact right now for kitchen/mudroom/hallway area.
April 18, 2013 at 1:45pm   
minemine
julie77777 I actually ended up using Mannington's Adura Vinyl tiles in the Oasis pattern, Earth color and had them grouted in. The floor is standing up very well and we get compliments on it all the time. I hope this helps.
April 19, 2013 at 7:41pm     
julie77777
The Mannington Adura Luxury Vinyl Tile is beautiful! I found several that I really liked when I was looking at that option a couple of months ago. What's the cleaning/maintenance been like so far?? Any issues with the grout?
April 22, 2013 at 6:54am   
minemine
No problems with cleaning. I have small grout lines and they are a color that blends well with the tile. It is not your standard grout that is used with ceramic tiles. It is called Adura Luxury Grout and it comes premixed in a pail. I just chose the color from a selection that the installer had. The nice thing about these tiles is that if one gets damaged it can be cut out, replaced and re-grouted. I have a dog and two cats that go in and out of the backyard all the time and so far I have had no problems. Just sweep up any loose dirt and mop when needed. I've included a picture. Hope this helps.
April 22, 2013 at 11:10am   
julie77777
Thanks, minemine! I think having the smaller grout lines (and not light colored grout) helps with keeping it clean / clean-looking. Yes, the pre-mixed specialty grout sounds much easier to deal with versus regular ceramic grout. Thanks so much for the photo and the information on your experience so far!
April 22, 2013 at 2:08pm   
Need help for my master bedroom!!! Help!!!
I'm just stuck on what to buy to bring this bedroom...
Design ideas for living with LOTS of cats
We are thinking of having a house built for ourselves...
Painting exterior brick
I am considering painting the orangey brick on my house...
Make something out of nothing
We're purchasing a gone from a builder that won't allow...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...