Need help picking appliances

jamiwhAugust 7, 2012
Is it a bad thing to have multiple brands of appiances in the kitchen?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
No, I don't think so. People have their favorites for different types of appliances. I once bought a dishwasher that was made by the same company as my stove and then ended up hating it. Love the stove...hated the dishwasher. As long as you try to keep the finish the same, I think you are fine.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:19PM
PRO
Wow Great Place
It is not a bad thing at all!
Often, people will hide their dishwasher and fridge behind custom panels these days, so you can't even see the brand name, and frankly, I have never once gone into someone's house and thought "ooh, nice kitchen, too bad your stove is not the same brand name as your microwave"
;0)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:22PM
feeny
Agree completely. We have a Wolf range, a GE Monogram fridge, and a Broan range hood, all stainless, plus a Bosch custom panel dishwasher. While I did pay slightly obsessive attention to the shape of handles on the different appliances, so they would look good together, ultimately I chose different appliances because of their function and features, not their matching designs and labels.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:27PM
PRO
Dallas Renovation Group
I agree with these folks too, but will take offer a counterpoint or addition on few issues from my experiences with clients and in selling a lot of houses. Typically, the range, cook top, or range top is the most "exposed" brand name in the house. In fact, quite a few folks will upgrade this appliance (to a Viking, Wolf, Dacor, etc) and pick lesser branded lines for the dishwasher, compactors, etc. Quite a few of these other companies have made this easy because they have modeled the fronts after the high end appliances. Aesthetically, I think mixing and matching can actually turn out great, I also agree with Wow, that if appliances are different no one will really care (as long as the finishes are consistent). With some brands, staying consistent can also saddle you with substandard appliances in terms of performance.

From the economic side, a few upscale appliance companies sometimes offer tremendous deals if you purchase 3 or more pieces, including lines like Thermador and Elextrolux which are offering things like free dishwashers if you buy so many pieces. Also, I know Miele offers an extended warranty if you purchase so many units and have them do the installation. Not trying to talk you into anything here, but check with the appliance houses on these deals.

Sorry for being long winded - very good question, and very good advice from the other designers!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:20PM
jamiwh
Thank you all for your input. I was able to relax a bit and see things differently when going into the appliance store because of your helpful feedback. Again thank you. I havent yet ordered the appliances but have finally come to a decision. I'm going to go with KitchenAid range and dishwasher, Zephyr hood, Samsung fridge, and a kenmore built in microwave. I would love to hear if you have any feedback on my choice of brands??? Thanks again
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:33AM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Just like We have different friends at parties , same goes with appliances as well .
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:11AM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Great advice above. Glad to you hear you mixed it up!
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:49AM
PRO
Dytecture
As long as they have the same design details it should be fine.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 6:06AM