Is a 6" backsplash 'out of date'?
minahrock
I am redoing my kitchen with white cabinets, carrera marble countertops, white subway tile with a off white / light grey grout. I may do a herringbone design over the stove. I saw a picture of a kitchen by Smith River Designs and love how the marble comes up the wall on one side about 10": Matthew Kitchen, East Hampton, NY

I was thinking of doing this same thing all around but only about 6" high, topped with the subway tile. I've been told that this may look 'outdated' as no one is doing the small backsplashes anymore and that it works in this particular kitchen because it goes up so high and has a flat / shelf molding on top to finish it.

I know it really doesn't matter what is out of date, as long as I like it, but I do want to make sure i don't make a design mistake.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
Annemarie
Vikrant Sharma Homez
No 6'' Back splash its not out , but just for a visual appeal we put back splash a little higher,
your choice of carrera marble counter tops will look Amazing and would Compliment your plush choice and The Plusher look .
August 10, 2012 at 10:04am   
I agree that your splash should continue up to cover all the space under the upper cabinets. But you have choices:
1. Continue with solid carrera marble for the entire splash.
2. Use carrera marble subway size 3x6 tiles in the herringbone pattern for the entire splash.
3. Use carrera marble subway size 3x6 tiles laid in the normal fashion, offset like bricks.
4 Use the off white subway tile for the entire splash.
5. Use carrera marble subway size 3x6 tiles in herringbone pattern over the stovetop, enclosed by carrera bullnose, with the same carrera 3x6 laid straight for rest of splash.
August 10, 2012 at 10:07am   
ct design studio
Your choice of beautiful, natural materials will help your kitchen from becoming dated. However I agree with Vikrant, it's really a matter of proportion. It's more visually appealing to break up the space higher rather than lower. And I've seen the herringbone done in the carrara, love it! If you post your backsplash height, I would be happy to make a suggestion on an appropriate height.
August 10, 2012 at 10:15am     
I've been seeing quite a few posts on Houzz with people wanting to keep their granite countertops but take out their 4-6" granite backsplashes and instead cover the whole wall up the cabinets with tile. The problem they face is that the shorter, thicker backsplashes sometimes damage the granite counters when they are taken out. So while I won't go so far as to say the short backsplashes are "out" (I'm sure many people still like them and put them in their kitchens) I don't think they are nearly as popular these days as backsplashes that run from the counter to the bottom of the cabinets. So I think Carolyn has given you some good options for that effect.
August 10, 2012 at 10:18am   
minahrock
Thank you. so if ever we were to want to remove the marble 6" splash, we may be seeing some damaged countertop.
Ct Design Studio: backsplash height: about 18" if this is the distance from the counter to the bottom of the top cabinet. Unsure as plans don't specify and the old cabinets are out and new cabinets aren't in yet so can't measure!

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
August 10, 2012 at 10:38am   
ct design studio
If your new backsplash will also be 18", I would do a 10-12" topped with molding like in the picture you like. The same molding could frame out the herringbone behind the stove. Otherwise use your field tile from the countertop to the base of the upper cabinets. Bascially instead of breaking it up 1/3 horizontally you'd be doing 2/3. Get out the painters tape, mark it and see what you think!
August 10, 2012 at 11:36am   
Smith River Kitchen & Bath, Inc
We love a tall backsplash! It makes the room feel more vertical and carrying the counter material up the wall is quite elegant and simple.
March 20, 2014 at 1:15pm     
Help with paint in kitchen, backsplash in an out dated kitchen!
I can not change the counter tops, floor, or cabinets....
Are 6" can lights dated?
Is there a difference between 6", 5" and 4" canned...
Doing a kitchen remodel, are 6 inch recessed lights dated?
Been reading mixed reviews on 6 vs 4 or 5 inch can...
Color scheme out dated?
I have sage tile and a dark sage stone fireplace in...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
Help! Awkward living room
I have no idea what to do with this room. We ideally...
kitchen backsplash
I have compared and looked for months and have finally...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...