What paint should I use?
Sigrid
I'd like it darker and bluer. I'd love a paint name.
AMN
Hmmm...I love navy on shingles, but you could also go with one that has more green in it (but still be blue).
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/poloblue
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gentlemansgray
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/newburggreen

I love Benjamin Moore's color discovery tool. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery
August 13, 2012 at 4:50PM     
adanielo
Beautiful house!! You can't go wrong with the Ben Moore historical colors, or their exterior colors. Jamestown Blue or Van Courtland Blue (more grayish) are beautiful. Hamilton Blue is even darker, but I have seen this on a house with ivory trim and a darkest green door and it was wonderful.
August 13, 2012 at 5:12PM     
gryphonisle
Where is the house? I'm writing from San Francisco where every sot paints his house gray or tan, if they're not painting them purple. I am philosophically opposed to gray and tan as a result, either or, both, any variant. And, after a wild interlude of yellows, and greens, I notice that we're reentering a phase of timidity with gray making big strides---perhaps it's the economy and people don't want anything that might not sell.

But I have to look at it!

What about barn red, or any dark, brownish red? What about dark brown, or even a chestnut brown with greens or black? Of course you might not want such a grand house to look like a Yosemite cabin. The right shade of blue (that doesn't look gray, and isn't "in your face" shocking blue) might work. I rather like various forms of yellow, dark organic earth tones, with a small amount of red or some other color where the trim allows.

This picture looks rather forested, but the one on your profile has a house on a practically empty lot with no trees, anywhere---is that the same house, different angle? Do you have any idea what the house was painted when built? Was it stained or were the shingles plain and allowed to age---a brown stain comes to mind. People seem fixated on lightening things up, I prefer to go the other way, either dark, or rich.
August 14, 2012 at 9:32AM   
gryphonisle
Ah, but I forgot the roof. You have a pale gray, or pale green/greenish gray, roof. If that isn't due for replacement, most of my suggestions aren't going to work.
August 14, 2012 at 9:33AM   
cordelia2003
Ben Moore Affinity colors are also beautiful -- Schooner AF-520 is a great color, don't know if it's darker than you want. Also possibly something in the Labrador Blue / West Coast / Alfresco ladder, 1670-72.
August 14, 2012 at 12:14PM   
Sigrid
The roof is slate and copper, it was redone about 15 years ago and should be good for another 100.

I think the house in my profile was one from my idea book. This is my house and it is outside of Portland, Maine. The lot has some mature trees, not too many, not too few.

I've pretty much decided on darker and bluer, the question is the shade.
August 14, 2012 at 2:02PM     
cordelia2003
How dark do you want to go? And do you want a grey that is bluer, or a definite blue?
If you want a darker and bluer color that still has some grey, something like Providence Blue (one shade darker than Van Courtland Blue, mentioned above) could be good. Thousand Oceans might be good, or a shade or two lighter color on that ladder, like Blue Dusk.
August 14, 2012 at 2:14PM   
Kitchen & Bath Works
Try Windsor Blue from Pratt & Lambert.
August 14, 2012 at 2:45PM   
tradder
Hi. Your roof looks very green. I have the same problem with mine being grey with a decided green tinge. Are you thinking of painting the house a dark blue? I hadnt thought about that but I would love your answer and also a picture when you have finished. Good luck with this big project!
August 15, 2012 at 9:46AM   
aussiehjk
We are Benjamin Moore fans for the interior but for exterior you cannot beat California Paints Fres-coat period. We painted the exterior of our 1920's Craftsman Bungalow with the velvet Flat. Was easy to apply and went a long way even with two coats. They also have a great historical palette. Three years later people were still commenting that it looked like it had been freshly painted,
August 15, 2012 at 12:30PM   
J. L. Powell & Co., Inc.
Whatever you go with make sure to follow the directions on both the primer and paint cans. Shelac and oil based are primers have always held up best with a high end latex finish coat. Again follow the instructions, temperature, prep, moisture and curing times between coats can make the difference between the paint lasting 2 years or 15.
August 15, 2012 at 1:02PM   
Sigrid
Thank you for all the help. We picked SW Woodscapes 75% Juniper blue with white trim.
September 10, 2012 at 4:00AM     
tradder
Looks great so far!! Good luck and thanks for getting back to us
September 10, 2012 at 8:14AM   
Help with setting up a narrow rectangle living room/ dining room combo
Hello, I am looking for some designer insight as to...
wood trim and doors or white?
I have wood trim and doors in my house. i want to change...
My husband wants too large a TV for our family room!
We have 14' so I figure 8' is the back of the sofa...
Fireplace help please.
Is this wall art piece too small for this spot? Should...
Laundry or mud room??
I have a Laundry/mud room about the size of those narrow...