Cork Flooring
rrvenezia
August 14, 2012 in Photo Questions
Can cork flooring be used throughout a house or is it too soft for entrance ways? I heard that high heels could damage cork flooring, is that correct?
Shannon Ggem ASID
Cork flooring is used in the Library of Congress and the Griffith Park observatory, I would use it anywhere. It is extremely durable and tough.

That said, I have left imprints on rubber, heart pine, oak, mahogany and cherry floors in a certain pair of heels. The right heel can do all sorts of damage on all sorts of materials.

I love cork for sound, warmth, durability and beauty.
August 14, 2012 at 11:20AM   
rrvenezia
Thanks for your insight...I know what you mean about the right heels causing significant damage (LOL!) I love the variety cork offers as well as the other benefits you mentioned.
August 14, 2012 at 6:19PM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi. Cork flooring is an amazing product. I always tell my customers that it would take a VERY LARGE WO/MAN (think grand piano in heals) in stilettos, standing in place x3 hours before a large dent would occur. And those dents heal or pop back over time. I call these dents "dimples" because they disappear once the pressure has been removed. That being said, you want to treat your cork floor like an expensive hardwood. Furniture coasters on the big stuff (they double as furniture glides when it is time to clean) and felt pads on the movable stuff.
October 10, 2012 at 9:31AM     
Susan Deneau Interior Design
I have specified cork flooring in several residential projects over the last several years - used both glue down 12" x 12" cork tiles, as well as 1' x 3' planks installed just like tongue-in-groove wood floors. My clients absolutely loved the results! There is such an amazing variety of patterns and colors and I agree with Shannon, I love to use it for the warmth, the fact that it is naturally an acoustical sound absorber, is anti-microbial (great for families with allergies), and easier on the legs than hardwood, since the air cells in cork provide a bit of a "give" to the surface. And last, but not least, it's a renewable, "green" resource, which appeals to a lot of consumers these days...
Here's a recent project that features a lovely, dark espresso brown cork plank floor:

October 10, 2012 at 9:49AM     
Susan Deneau Interior Design
And in this Master Bedroom, we used the glue down cork tiles in a slate gray color:

October 10, 2012 at 9:51AM     
jammercoalcreek
What is the color of the cork floor?
February 18, 2013 at 9:36AM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
jammercoalcreek - You didn't specify which of the photos you are looking at.

The 1st photo, though it is not my cork floor, would be Forna's "Salami". As a glue down tile, it sells for $1.78/sf and as a floating floor (click-together floor) it sells for $2.97/sf.

The second photo (again, not my flooring) would be named "Black Beach" in Forna's library of cork. Black Beach glue down tile = $1.69/sf or a floating floor = $2.79/sf.

The third photo (again, not my floor) would be a version of Forna's "Taupe Leather". So far, it only comes in a floating floor = $3.89/sf

You can find all of these floors (or Forna's versions of them) at:
USA = www.icorkfloor.com
Canada = www.corkfloorsales.com

I hope this helps.
February 18, 2013 at 11:03AM   
jammercoalcreek
Thank you, it does. Appreciate your time!
February 18, 2013 at 11:04AM   
How to make a cozy family room with high ceiling
We have a 2-story ceiling in the family room. We currently...
Pool Area Flooring
Looking to buy tiles for around the pool. Area gets...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Need suggestions: Coffee table vs. benches. vs. cocktail ottoman
Good morning, all, I am in the market for some kind...