Need ideas for bath/utility room...will be a third bath (more handicapped type...older home...older people..lo
buildnideas
Need ideas for walls, ceiling, utility cabinet, storage, a bench next to shower stall (already in place) need easy cleanup and floor cover to be safer to walk on...the hot water heater is installed and needs walls around it..it is next to the shower...we are ready to finish this project. I will appreciate any ideas and yes we are retired and budget will be a factor...Thank you......Barbara
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Hi Barbara , can you please take me on a photographic Detour of your abode ? so I may be of some help .
August 14, 2012 at 12:10PM   
Without knowing the specifics of your bathroom Barbara, just be sure to install lots of grab bars, zero threshold shower, and floor tiles that has lots of grip to prevent slippage.

August 14, 2012 at 6:40PM   
When you shop for tiles for your floor, take a bottle of water with you. Sprinkle some water of the tiles you think you might want to use, then run your foot (preferably) or your hand across the wet tile to test it for slipperiness. I've had tile salespeople tell me that "Oh, we use this in bathrooms all the time!" Well, not in my bath or my client's bath, if it doesn't pass my test. And quite frequently it does NOT. I do not want my clients to have falls due to my error in tile selection.
August 14, 2012 at 7:14PM     
Custom Home Planning Center
Consider replacing the hot water heater with a tankless type to recover some additional space, the tax credit, unlimited hot water, and cost savings of not having a tank. One of my favorite companies added a wall in tub to their productt line which you might consider. http://www.jettacorp.com/?page=152
You should also add a power duplex behind the toilet. This allows you to add a toilet bidet seat to an existing toilet. Those are about 500 dollars cheaper than the ones with this function built in. If your tearing out walls than consider putting pressure treated plywood up in order to have something for the grab bars to attach too. There are suppliers of bath accessory that include the grab function as part of their design. If you going to just have a shower, consider roll in shower pans and locating you shower valve in a easy out of stream location. I prefir wet room designs (use this as a search word) that have a rain shower combined with a slide bar hand shower and either a fold down seat or wheel chair roll in space. I've used the Kohler handicap shower and if you can get it into the space it is an excellent solution. http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Shower-Stalls-&-Bases-Shower-Stalls/Freewill-Shower/brand/431252/431251.htm?brandNValue=100699
October 5, 2012 at 7:40PM   
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
What color accent pillows
What color accent pillows should I use to tie my living...
Color palette ideas for living room
We recently painted our living room accent wall with...
Old house lovers. . . What would you do with this living room wall?
This is our formal living room. I can't figure out...
Want to update dining room - not sure if I should keep these pieces?
We have had my mother-in-law's dining table, 8 chairs,...