Bedroom Design Issue
aishhick
I'm having a hard time deciding what isn't working about the area surrounding my headboard. I can't figure out whether I've hung the prints too low, in the wrong place, or whether they're just the wrong size for the space or that the frames are wrong. The headboard, bedding, and lamps all need to stay, but I'm not opposed to painting the lamp bases if necessary and making small additions to the bedding and/or decor. The bedding is white with chocolate brown, the lamp bases are a dark brown, and the shades are white with chocolate brown trim. The frames are a pretty bright gold tone, and the nailhead trim on the headboard is more of an antiqued brass. We can't paint the walls since we're in a rental, so I'm pretty limited in terms of making major changes to the room. Thanks!
lizzecampbell
It looks too symmetrical in my opinion, what if you tried hanging those photos directly above the headboard? Would that be too much in one place? Or maybe 2 different lamps.
4 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:08AM
karenamacintyre
I don't think symmetry is the problem. The wall is not large. Does it look too bare without the pictures? The scale of the pictures is not matching up with the boldness of your lamps and headboard. You might think about either taking them down or bunching them up above the headboard. Good luck.
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:32AM
ikwewe
I third the idea of lining them up above the headboard. It will look much better that way.
My room is much different looking but the pictures and headboard and even the lamps are similar in scale. I had a time getting the pix even, but my contractor had the solution, a laser level. I think this pic is before he brought the laser level in to help.
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:50AM
aishhick
I'm inclined to agree with both of you - I think there may be too much symmetry happening and I think the size of the pictures is wrong for the rest of the room. I've been toying with the idea of hanging just three of the prints above the headboard (see pic for reference - I just leaned the pictures against the wall instead of hanging them), eliminating them altogether and going with something else entirely, or investing in bigger, chunkier dark wood frames. Eventually, I'd like to replace the end tables with something a little more substantial, also in a dark wood tone, but for now we have to stick with the daintier white ones.
3 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:54AM
trisn
The headboard is making the room look too boxy.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:55AM
ikwewe
Yes,the three pix over the bed looks better. That is a pretty quick fix. You do not need any artwork behind the lamps, they hold their own quite nicely.
7 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 12:01PM
Leslie
My first reaction was to put the 4 over the headboard, as the others did, but I really like the three. A nice piece of driftwook or branch of some sort would look good over the pictures also.
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 12:19PM
giseladonahue
I like the headboard. It's a narrow space but you don't have to live small! Maybe the problem is that 1. The print subject is too weak. Try something bolder, more grafic. Maybe black white/ sepia photos. 2. The frames might be too weak. Have you thought about adding a small punch of color? Pillows that have a bold green or something in the orange family. Then add a vase or something to one of the tables in a similar color. Also you could repeat the color family in the prints. Then again you might not need the prints if you've added interest with color.
4 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 12:39PM
michigammemom
I would agree with the previous poster, that a more graphic print would be a good match for your dark table lamps. Here's a great example.
10 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 12:43PM
denobobeno
It's too bad ypu can't change the lamps and find them another home in your apt.. They're great, but two lights hanging from the ceiling would be great to bring the ey up and also save you space on your small tables for accessories, books etc.
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 1:16PM
Decaleco
I agree with most of the comments previously posted here that four frames lining up (either perfectly aligned or with the two center ones higher than the ones at the side) would look much better than your original picture; and as Leslie said, 3 frames actually look better. Originally, your two bottom frames were hidden by the lamps.
Another option could be to use some vertical lines or patterns to try to give a bigger dimension to the room since the headboard is kind of tall and the ceiling looks pretty low (but those would have to be installed more on the side on top of the lamps since the space between the headboard and the ceiling is small). Since paint is not an option for you, you could also look as some removable wall decals such as the ones we offer.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 1:36PM
78407840
Another tip that might help..try covering some of the pillows with the choc edging with something softer..say floral...it will help balance some of the symmetry
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 1:39PM
saraj11357
There is alot of good ideas, you said in a comment, for now you have to stick with the daintier white side tables, why? Are they yours? Sand them down and paint them a dark color! I think your pictures would look good in the version of 3's and your lamps are pushed into the corners of the tables, that makes the room above the bed look even wider, try the 3 pictures, and moving the lamps to the middle of the tables! Add some throw pillows in an accent color like a moss green or soft blue.
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 1:50PM
How about trying two mirrors behind the lamps which will expand the look a bit; leave the wall above the headboard bare.
7 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 2:12PM
Debbie Givens
I am incline to agree with hanging the pictures over your bed or if you can get some bigger ones with black and white pictures. I also think if you punched it up a bit with a graphic yellow and white pillow. You are on the right track. Your headboard is very pretty! http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=all&page=4&includes%5B0%5D=tags&q=graphic+pillows
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 2:24PM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
The picture frames are washed out - yes 3 over bed, however, the gold tone is lost - unless as has been mentioned you pull the gold in a pillow or two. One round, one rectangular or square. Solid and/or print - I always experiment and voila - you will find best look!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 3:25PM
Lanie Brown, REALTORĀ®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I would love to see some pink pillows with that chocolate brown! I like the suggestions to prop mirrors on the night stands (same scale but different designs so everything isn't so perfectly symmetrical) and to center the lamps. Lose the pictures or group them on another wall (I see something over there to the right...)
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 3:30PM
Jenny
I would get rid of the symmetrical pictures and do a nice collage of different size little mirrors or plates or similar colorful pictures. The space is too symmetrical and it needs some whimsy and interest!
3 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:06PM
Kathy Schuh
I think we are getting there with the comments...one thing that really bothers me is the lamps stuck to the back corner, I think they should be more centered on the tables. Also agree with a bit of color on the throw pillows
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 4:08PM
Simple Design Ideas
Like other's have said, I would suggest removing the frames! Also, try centering the lamps on the night stands and, if possible, remove the items from the night stands. The headboard will become the focal point of the wall - as it should be based on size - add some accent pillows (think bright colors) to really make it stand out! good luck!
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 4:08PM
appelquist
Wallpaper on the wall behind the headboard only would be perfect!
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:09PM
Kathy Schuh
Oh...and a color throw on the foot of the bed
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:09PM
tersteve
The wall behind the bed needs some interest in the form of wallpaper or a stencil. Saw a trick on Nate Berkus where they covered the wall with starched fabric that could be easily removed when you leave the rental.
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:11PM
Marrie Grady
I would move the pictures up so the lamps don't block the pictures and over the headboard I would put in some wall lettering that comes off easily and doesn't damage the wall. Something maybe about family. The wall lettering is easy to find online or in stores. Yes it would be symmetrical, however the wall lettering will offset that and add a modern touch.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:12PM
mpaik
since you can't paint the wall, try temporary wall paper/ decals. Right now, the bed color is too similar to the wall color, so it looks too washed out...
or, purchase a large canvas picture to hang on the wall over your head. g'luck!
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 4:12PM
Renae Bliss
I would put a metal wall sconce over teh headboard, and leave the pictures where they're at. I would use one in THIS shape in attached photo
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 4:13PM
gbel
I think You need an accent color in the room. I would paint the wall behind the bed and complement that with nice pillows with different textures or patterns. When you move out of your rental, you paint the wall back to its original color.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:17PM
the_hen
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:17PM
jsksss
This may not be as cheap as adding new or rearranging the pictures, but what about crown molding. I just had this installed in all my rooms & what a difference it made. Nothing puny looking & you can select whatever configuration you like to fit your taste. I agree with other writers, black or dark picture frames would pick up on your dark lamp bases would make the color stand out more on the light colored walls.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:17PM
I think the lamp shades are too squatty and the trim on top and bottom just emphasizes that shortness. Can you replace the shades with plain, taller ones? Think about rematting the pictures. A colorful matte can make a big difference. Is there another wall where all four can stack vertidally and visually "lift" your ceiling? A stack starting 8-10" above the baseboard can be stunning!
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:18PM
debac
words "Always Kiss me goodnight"
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:19PM
ajmargulis
I think painting the bases of your lamps a bright orange and add a roll pillow and throw in the same color.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:20PM
decordizzy
Yes, only three pictures. Uneven numbers always work better in design. Honestly, I have to throw a wrench in all of the above suggestions. Since these pictures you are using have glass on them, I have a fear that they could fall and be harmful. The headboard alone, a soft tapestry or one large horizontal rectangular canvas painting would be less threatening if it should fall on you while you sleep. Having glass or something sharp above your bed cannot give you a good night's rest.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:21PM
Lara DallAlba
I suggest that you use 3 lined up over the bed but I hate to say that you really should reframe them, the gold is all wrong in my opinion. I think there would be more of a contrast with the headboard and the wall if they are in a black or dark wood stain.
I also don't think you should change the bedside tables as I don't like everything matchy matchy- there is already far too much brown there. I also think that an additional pop of color added in would be a good idea?
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:22PM
cmbc10963
You have all the right elements, just need some tweaking. Re-frame the prints in a chunkier darker frame. Hang three above the bed. Move the lamps closer to the bed rather than the wall. You need some throw pillows for a punch of color. 2 matching lumbar pillows placed against the white pillows should do it. Also a throw at the end of the bed should tie it all together.
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 4:34PM
justdesign
Look for balance, the visual weight of the headboard and lamps is enough for that wall, the pictures are too dainty by comparison . Change the mats in the pictures to a dark color and group them on one of the side walls in a square to add weight and balance
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:37PM
misslapaz
If you want to use all four pictures, I would hang the bottom frames higher, so that where the top of the picture is now is where the bottom of the frame should line up and the top pictures should be hung higher with their outer frames edges lining up with the outer edge of the headboard, hope that makes sense!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:38PM
alrion
I would lose the four pictures and maybe get some more modern lamps. Perhaps something an ornate mirror or a piece of modern art.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:40PM
Rosaguille Hay
I know this in-partly because i'm obsessed with this idea/trend but why don't you stencil your wall. It is a relatively cheap method to bring some visual intrest to a wall especially if you treat it as an accent wall. You have a pretty color maybe you can go a shade lighter or darker. another thing (personal preference, sorry), but maybe you should try a sheer metalli paint when you stencil so your wall still appear one color but when light is reflected upon it will have a translucent jewel tone quality that judging buy your sheets/overall feel you have a very hotel luxe feel. I could be wrong but I'm sure anything you decide doing will be great!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:49PM
decordizzy
http://www.thenester.com/2012/08/no-paint-diamond-wall.html
look at how this lady used tape to create a diamond design behind her bed...
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:49PM
Custom In-Home Decorating
I love the headboard! But it washes out with the neutral wall color, if you can't paint, then if you can afford to, add wall to wall draperies behind the bed in a rich dark brown or a stripe. Then simply add some luxurious pillows and fold the brown throw down at the foot of the bed.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:50PM
iamari
I like the pictures over the headboard but try all four and put a book or books under the lower lamp to even the height.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 4:59PM
Erica Wernery
Wallpaper with a big bold print or maybe paint horizontal stripes with a metallic paint. Throw in some accent pillows to add interest and compliment the accent wall.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:01PM
Barbara Allegretta_Robinson
When you hang pictures there is another way to hang them so they look more asymmetrical, you have them symmetrical, perfectly lined up , hang them by staggering them they would look alot better, as far as using nails since you rent and dont want to damge the wall, go to Home depot and by the command strips, they are easily removed by just pulling the tab. Did this with my Corel PSP software, hanging them unevenly is eye appealing and the way I hung them seems to almost take on the shape of the headboard.
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 5:08PM
Blend Real Estate
If you'd consider removing the four pieces of art which are getting lost in similar colors, I would suggest adding one or two wire "curtain lines" from Ikea that you could attach in each wall. Then on the wire, you can clip loose vintage black and white photos or small images. You can buy anonymous snapshots at flea markets or garage sales, or maybe you have your own from your family! A constantly changing art gallery. The hanging system is called Dignitet and is less than $12 for one.
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 5:13PM
crazylife
I love symmetry, you have all the elements for great design right there. There is nothing wrong with your headboad or the room color. The only concerns I see right now are the pictures are too low, (blocked by the lights) and there is a big empty space over the headboard. This all depends on your budget and your taste.

Low budget: Move the pictures up, above the lamps. Same position, just higher than the lamps. Buy a removeable vinyl wall art, "Sweet dreams", "Always Kiss me good Nite" you get the idea, for the space over the headboard. Great idea from previous posters.
If you don't like the vinyl wall letters, then place the pictures above the headboard. 3 in a row, or use all 4 like in Barbara's post. However you like.

Still low budget: Paint the end tables black. It will be gorgeous against the light blue walls. Very current and dramatic. They are different anyway, I think you'll love them black.

A bit of money: Reframe and re-mat the pictures to larger black frames, with larger white or ivory mats. I like the idea of a lumbar roll pillow in an accent color, or chocolate brown. You don't need any more throw pillows. I absolutely despise pillows on a bed, personally. We all know they have to be taken off and put somewhere at night.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:21PM
pdrane
You need larger scale bedside tables and lamps. Then add 3 prints, or giclees (a bit larger than you current ones) over the headboard.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:25PM
Jason Hudson
What about painting the wall a darker green? and throw in some accent pillows. i also agree three pictures above the bed.
3 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:31PM
Jason Hudson
You could also add wallpaper if its in the budget. Heres one thats gold with a vertical pattern which will make the room seem big as well as given the head board a grander vibe.
2 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:41PM
Blair Design Group
I don't think the issue is the art or lamps, or even the symmetry. I think your color scheme is off here and you need to darken that back wall. It needs to be at least three shades darker than your headboard. If you cannot paint, you can always put fabric on the wall behind the bed.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:43PM
pdrane
They are renting so wallpaper probably isn't an option. Perhaps they could paint, but the scale is way off. Interiors by Patti LLC / Patti Drane
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:46PM
Rebecca Behrent
You've got a lot going on, graphically speaking. A lot of rectangular shapes which give hard edges. The round ball shapes on the lamps soften the look somewhat, but lamps with just one large, rounded base would fit the scale of everything better. Also, you've repeated the graphic of the headboard in the bedding, but it's a little bit overkill with the pillows repeating the pattern as well. I would cover the pillows in shams of a solid color (green or yellow would look great - but any color you like, really, except neutral). You could paint the wall behind to match the sham color. And the extra blanket on the bed you could switch out to match the wall and sham color. And I agree - put three of the pictures above the bed, and in bolder frames that contrast with the wall color. Black frames always work no matter the color scheme.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:55PM
jaynehfoss
Definitely paint the wall, and move the pictures. The pics would be better horizontally above the bed.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:56PM
carolpet
I would put a K&K Design wall "kling"!!!! That is the perfect area! You can pick one out of the catalog.... or totally design one yourself... and you can personalize it too!! Add your favorite saying... or a simple "Alway, Kiss me Goodnight" saying or....you could put "Together is a wonderful place to Be" ... or there are so many more !! Check out the catalog at www.myk-kdesigns.com/carolpetroskey (yes, that is me!) and please let me know if you have any questions or need help with any ideas. When you are ready to move, you just peel it off the wall and you never knew it was there!! I think it's perfect for your area!! My email is nitecap5@hotmail.com or message me on facebook if I can help further!! Good luck in whatever you decide!!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:57PM
ohsuzannah
The problem is that your super-dark brown throw has so much visual weight that it's throwing off the whole room. Looks like your walls are light blue or gray-- great colors. I'd take the dark brown off the bed and concentrate on the color of the lamps, finding something big and bold (like what's on the wall in this photo) to go over the bed. Take down those pictures. They're pretty, but too delicate for this room. When you look at the photo in this link, see how the dark side tables and the sunburst mirror work together; try to get your lamps working the same way with a bold wallhanging.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:57PM
carolpet
and... if you do a K&K Design... I would definately add "some" GOLD color in the print you choose to accent everything!!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 5:59PM
carolpet
One more thing... if you do a K&K design... I would put 2 pictures on one side of your bed, but I would not make them even... and maybe just one picture on the other side.. perhaps you can put the other one somewhere else in the room - on a different wall!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:08PM
Lesley Taylor
i would hang mirrors behind each lamp just above each nightable and change the prints.something bolder nice black frames
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:20PM
Kim Paddleford
The biggest problem I see is that you lack a focal point. You need something for your eye to zero in on. Right now it's hard to figure out where to look first. That's why the 3 pictures work better than 4. Your eye goes straight to the middle one. But the scale of the pictures is a little puny, especially with only 3. If you don't want to re-frame them to bulk them up, I would suggest hanging all 4 in a horizontal line above the bed, but leave a large space in the middle and add something different and unexpected as a focal point. So it would look something like this - - + - - where the dashes represent your existing pictures and the plus sign is the new object. Whatever the new object is, it should be a larger scale (especially vertically) as the 4 pictures. Also one solid color accent pillow added right in the middle of those other 2 would do wonders. Whatever you do, create a focal point. And I agree with other comments to center those lamps on the tables. Hope this helps!
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 6:20PM
Lesley Taylor
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:31PM
Susan Mills Design
A couple of things stood out for me and have been touched on already, I agree with iamari that the lamps could benefit from having books under them to raise their height, which would look better visually and also throw the light a bit better if you are reading in bed. These are too low.

I also agree that the dark throw looks a bit heavy in this room. I can imagine if the white bedding would show, it would make a big difference. Is that the duvet peeping out? How about allowing more of the duvet to show.

One boudior pillow in the right print would really help to stop the eye going up and keep the focus on the bed. You should be able to find something depending on your budget almost anywhere. Here is some example all from etsy,

Susan Mills
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:38PM
janyota
Tack up an interesting fabric on the entire wall behind the bed. You can find roll ends for a good price at fabric stores. It can be easily removed when you move. All of your furniture and accents are rectangular. You need an accent that is round. Maybe use a round large mirror with a decorative frame ,more frame less mirror. Make it large enough to make an impact. Use your beautiful photos on another wall. Also don't have your lamp shades match that will help get rid of they symetrical issue. Darken the side table for some contrast.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:39PM
joel8
The pictures are too small. Take them off the wall behind the bed. Bunch them together and hang them on the wall beside the bed that already has one photo.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:45PM
joel8
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:45PM
pjoa
I think the difference in scale between the headboard and lamps would just be emphasized by putting anything over the headboard. I would hang the pictures lower and no higher than the headboard (or just one picture on each side between the lamp base and bed) to keep the visual lower. This would give some weight to the lamps and end tables. If you can get more heighth on the lamps all the better. I would change out the lamp shades with ones that were more vertical. Lowes is a good place to check. You could try stacking the lamps on some books or a pretty box. Play with different light bulbs to reduce the yellow tones. A graphic pillow or something textural on the bed would be a bonus. Good Luck!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:45PM
The Frugal Parisian
With a bad ass wild wallpaper!
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 6:53PM
Custom Home Planning Center
The problem is the headboard needs to be taller. If there is more hidden by the mattress and box spring extend the headboards legs. This may require a new surface mounted bed rail catch and a little thought on what will look best at the bottom of the headboards legs.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 7:04PM
kmc15
I'm thinking if you bought a couple more pictures and then display them in a arch shape.......it would bring another shape into the room.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 7:05PM
ikwewe
One thing I think needs to be said. People have lamps on tables beside the bed for a purpose, not necessarily for design. The lamps are probably in the corner so the people can put their watches and glasses, or maybe a book on the table. The lamps cannot be so tall that one cannot reach to turn them off from a comfortable position in the bed.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 7:05PM
Susan Mills Design
Lamps do have several purposes in the bedroom ikwewe that's true. Most often rooms have an overhead light for general lighting, so the bedside are for task or mood. Tasks such as reading in bed are best achieved when the light is approx 27 inches higher than the nitestand which are most often 28-30 inches high. This allows the light to fall where the open book is, making reading in bed more enjoyable. As we know much more than reading goes on in bedrooms so here is where the mood lighting comes in, if the lights are three way, meaning they can have three different levels of light, a much gentler and softer level of lighting can be achieved. Yes a switch should be close at hand and of course nitestands should be big enough to accomodate other items such as drinks, books and such.

In this room the lamps are a bit short for reading properly, hence the suggestions to raise them with books under. ALso lamps can visually balance a headboard, with their height, style and colour, there could be a better choice for this room but meanwhile moving them would help. :)
1 Like   August 15, 2012 at 7:19PM
denobobeno
Another option; is to invest in some tall, skinny lamps. Personally I think the shade should come to the top of your headboard and match your bedspread. Then to help break up the square- straight line feeling that's going on, maybe a nice large round mirror anove the bed. Something that brings out your headboard color. But my fav idea is still chandelers by beds with a modern twist. :-)
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:19PM
denobobeno
You can buy clickers for your lampsmtp turn them on and off without ever raising your head off of the pillow. It will control a lamp across the room too.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:23PM
Studio Rimonim
There's not enough color in the paintings and they can't compete with the bed cover. Try an abstract(s) which picks up the color in the bedspread, preferably something with texture or drama to break up the monotony of the rectangular shapes and neutral colors.
0 Likes   August 15, 2012 at 11:32PM
Jackie
Paint the wall smokey blue, shorten headboard by 4 inches, then place pics straight across above the headboard. Room needs a little color. Until you get new nightstands, paint the ones you have.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 7:34AM
Mary Gebhardt
I wouldn't use the pictures at all. I would totally change the focus wall color to a deep brown. If you must use the nightstands (I would incorporate a hanging night shelf if it was my room) then change the color of those too. Perhaps a green or go bold with orange. The lamps are cute so do something with the lampshades that correspond with the accent color you choose. You can use fabric paint (in green or orange as accent color) to paint them and possible use a stencil to accent even further. Add color with accent pillows. For the headboard, again, accent it. Maybe use some rope or ribbon in vertical striping pattern to bring interest visually. On the back wall, I would use a wall mounted shelving system. It should be as wide as the bed itself plus 6 inches on each side. It can be of any style you wish. Choose nice pieces to accent the shelves. Enjoy!
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 7:55AM
Mary Gebhardt
damn...just read you can't paint the walls. Maybe you can use wall stencils. I visit and purchase lots from http://www.dezignwithaz.com/. I am attaching 3 photo designs I did in my livingroom. I think the clock arrangement would serve you well. It's not expensive and very easy to do. The last picture happens to be one that I painted over because I hated the picture. I painted it white to make a new canvas and did the design to match up with the wall border I painted on the walls. These are all inexpensive ways to add character.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 8:18AM
Mary Gebhardt
I also live in an apartment. Not supposed to paint either. But I need to have some color in my environment. Besides, I will paint over this before I leave. I am looking at these photos and realize that they are the very beginning of what I wanted. The clock has been changed out to a different design. Fake plants removed. If you look at the "painting" and then look at the lamp and shade, you can see that I stayed with the same shape scheme. I added the black ribbon and medallion to the shade because the white shade alone wasn't adding anything to the design.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 8:22AM
Debbie Givens
check this picture out I think it will show you how your pics would look above your bed. [houzz=
]
2 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 8:31AM
iamari
This is what I'm talking about...it's a beautiful arrangement and the decorative molding is a great idea!
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 8:36AM
debac
find a sheet or some material and use liquid starch and paste the material on the wall when you are ready to move you just wash it off
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 9:16AM
debac
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 9:16AM
TanCalGal
This issue has inspired many comments. I have to give mine, too. lol. The bed and bedding and lamps & wall color are perfect without the frames. You do not need the art over the bed or over the night tables. These frames are distracting. For future reference, the frames over the bed and the lamps should be the same finish (gold, silver, black etc). I do not think the lines of this pretty headboard need anything to distract from them. I think the lamps could have been taller, though, & maybe in a finish less heavy than brown.
2 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 8:32PM
karen paul interiors
You need to replace your lamps that are too small. I would suggest introducing some color in the bases of the lamps and following up with a pillow in a print that picks up this color. Remove all your art as they do not add anything to the mix.
1 Like   August 17, 2012 at 11:00PM
loves2read
So hat DID you decide to do?
Photos?
0 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 9:15PM
Current issue Coastal living bedroom des by Victoia Hagan
The blue/white coastal living bedroom designed by Victoria...
suebird
Curtains in kids bedrooms and radiator issues
Just finishing up renos and need advice. Have radiators...
twetterberg
Please help with Pink for Master Bedroom, severe tone issue
I am trying to choose a pink for my bedroom that will...
ana474
Storage issue in bedroom
I want a modern set of wardrobes which has female and...
trevis58
Should I paint my baseboards white?
I feel bad about painting over the original wood, but...
buthole888
We're building a house with a two story living room and need lighting
We need a large chandelier, but it will be seen from...
bjdonofrio
Need some opinions on custom copper cabinet handles
Hi all, I'm in the process of remodeling our kitchen...
aa112358
need help choosing a modern kitchen sink
I like black but should I get matte granite, or shiny...
tootsiecharmaggie
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg